Help with buying speakers.

marioafl

Hello guys

I have been thinking about getting some floor standing speakers for my home theater but i can not decide if i should get the klipsch kf-28 icon or the polk audio 75t ? i already have x2 bic america f12 subs and my center channel is the Micca MB42X-C Center Channel and my rears are the Micca MB42X Bookshelf Speakers. Yes i know most of you look down on the miccas but im only 18 and i don't have a lot of money to blow on speakers but at the same time i want to get something decent. Another question is will there be a problem with me mixing a different brand center channel speaker with whatever tower i decide to get ?

First off welcome to the forum

and second

is will there be a problem with me mixing a different brand center channel speaker with whatever tower i decide to get

Yes. There is a thing called timbre match, its very important and when you have 3 of the same across the front you notice a difference. Could you get by sure I did, I ran a Reference center with a Heritage which worked until I actually tried 3 of the same.

May I ask what your budget is, and would you be willing to buy used. There are some nice deals to be made for great used gear if your willing to go that route. A lot of us here have gone this route and been quite happy. To be honest I haven't heard the speakers you speak of, I do know Klipsch makes great products. I am sure others will chime in once time goes by. Hang tight and we will be more then happy to spend your money.

• Like 2

@duder1982, Thanks for the welcome. My budget for the tower speakers is about $500. Since you explained to me why it is not good to mix the front speakers i will now look into getting a full polk or klipsch setup depending on which set you guys recommend so max budget will be $1000 to buy the towers, the center, and the rear speakers. I also hope to purchase everything new.

@duder1982, Thanks for the welcome. My budget for the tower speakers is about $500. Since you explained to me why it is not good to mix the front speakers i will now look into getting a full polk or klipsch setup depending on which set you guys recommend so max budget will be $1000 to buy the towers, the center, and the rear speakers. I also hope to purchase everything new.

On that budget you could get a Quintet setup, but it's not going to wow you like the rest of the Klipsch speakers will. A decent Polk setup will also run outside of your budget. My recommendation would be to echo what Sancho has already said and abandon the "must be new idea" for craigslist. You can find treasures beyond your wildest dreams there, and that $1,000 being bent a little upward could mean a banger of a system for you.

Another question is, is this for a house or apartment. You have to take into consideration of the sub as well more space means the right gear to fill it with sound. That way your not disappointed.

You could easley start with three up front and add gear down the road.

• Like 1

Also, don't feel too bad about fragmenting. I'd phase out your subs for something better eventually, but in the meantime if all you can do is 2.2, then do so. Having a strong pair is better than a weak set of five. I got my first pair of Klipsch when I was 14, and never looked back since. It took me many years to save up to get all of the other pieces of the puzzle together, but I learned a lot doing it, and had a lot of fun.

I think you'll be a lot happier if you sink that 1K in a good strong pair or cover your main channels first before proceeding to the rears. I'd drop the mixing of brands, again...having a strong pair is better than a weak set.

His subs are very good, probably the best on the market for the money. Keep the subs and focus your budget solely on the front threes if you already have an adequate receiver.

You can buy SVS, Rythmik, HSU etc. down the road when this "hobby" has consumed your free time and your spending money.

• Like 1

His subs are very good, probably the best on the market for the money. Keep the subs and focus your budget solely on the front threes if you already have an adequate receiver.

You can buy SVS, Rythmik, HSU etc. down the road when this "hobby" has consumed your free time and your spending money.

Oh, don't get me wrong - not knocking the subs. Just saying an upgrade should be in the future. :)

As for the consumption of free time...pay important attention to that - because it's true...lol

For example: If you had around $500 to spend on my local craigslist, you'd have your choice of some Fortes, or RF 3 IIs, or KLF-20s. All killer choices to start a home theater project with!

Hell, I just started a thread to brag about landing a pair of RF-82s for $200. :lol:

@duder1982, Thanks for the welcome. My budget for the tower speakers is about $500. Since you explained to me why it is not good to mix the front speakers i will now look into getting a full polk or klipsch setup depending on which set you guys recommend so max budget will be $1000 to buy the towers, the center, and the rear speakers.

Marioafl,

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing against Polk Audio, but for a life like HT experience, they would not come close to my choice. Many models are very laid back. With Klipsch, laid back is rarely a description ever heard.

I also hope to purchase everything new.

While brand new does more directly support the Klipsch company, you could get so much more bang for your buck if you went the used route. Don't completely rule out pre-owned.

Where are you located?

Bill

^ I would only object that the Polk PRO Subwoofer series tends to blend rather nicely with Klipsch speakers. I've been using a 660 12" sub for about three years now, and it's complimented the Klipsch wonderfully. Just my two cents.

Another question is, is this for a house or apartment. You have to take into consideration of the sub as well more space means the right gear to fill it with sound. That way your not disappointed.

You could easley start with three up front and add gear down the road.

Its a house.