Backing Up Computer To A Cloud?

billybob

Hurricanes occasionally down here. My goodness, I am afraid to ask other questions. Already need to sort it all out now. Music will probably be my next step for having, and know there are answers already written on topic on the forum. It just appears that I get with it or get left behind or, update my way of thinking about music storage.

My first website that I used as a personal music server was a site I posted alot of links to Youtube on. I was the soundman/entertainment on that one.

A forum fellow started a youtube topic here but, I do not see my posting over 500+ videos here for my and other's use. Besides, youtube is problematic as known when after awhile the link is broken by google/copyright, at least to my understanding. Finding decent quality music there is not that easy always besides. Interest not that great nowadays for a youtube DJ,lol.

I see now that the cloud can be used as backup, for music but, a 1 terrabite external hardrive may be a good choice as backup for everything. I will need to expand my limited understanding and read further before going off on my own, having made the choice that is right for me. 500+ songs is nothing like having a good 5000 in storage, I can see that.

Edited by billybob

My first website that I used as a personal music server was a site I posted alot of links to Youtube on. I was the soundman/entertainment on that one.

So I figured out, I have a parasitical relationship with that website. Only redeeming quality was others benefited . Did not start with that intent.

Parasite

Thanks all! Much to mull over here. But no personal info on a cloud, is my takeaway.

:)

Chad mentioned Dropbox. We use it a lot for certain users at the college where I work. Excellent product and company and the rates are pretty low. Also nice if you end up traveling without a computer and end up needing a file/s while away from home or work. You can log into it and access files from a web browser or use the app to sync to a new computer.

Bruce

• Like 1

I can see dropbox for onesy twosy file access or backup but not for a large amount of data.

I should also be more clear that a synchronization service is NOT the same as a backup. Having a static backup that allows you to recover a file or files as they existed in the past can be pretty important if you have a file that was corrupted or changed in error. The automatically synched file would be useless but then you could restore the previously backed up version.

Amazon S3 looks pretty reasonable for data storage.

I think what he is talking about is 2 identical drives set up in RAID as mirrored, meaning if one of the backup drives dies, the other one still contains the data, and can be mirrored back to a replacement. Think of it as a backup of your backup. Hard drives have a finite lifespan.

I love the parallel RAID setup (Mirrored HD's), and use one as a secondary hard drive for all my work related files..... would love to kiss the guy that came up with that one. On top of that those files are also backed-up weekly to a WD My-Book. Nothing like a healthy dose of redundancy for a belt & suspenders affect.

Work often requires file sharing with various cloud sites, everyone seems to have their favorite. Some architects refer to me as the old dog because I still email CAD files to them. Anyway, from the info at the Dropbox site, it looks pretty cool, thanks.