Backing Up Computer To A Cloud?

billybob

Yes so, not Klipsch but general but find much is related.

Think I am aware of other methods like zip hard drive but, what of backing up files to this virtual cloud thing, in case of computer crash.

Got some update drivers recently for my operating system, and free backup came as a bonus. Probably not anything that I cannot replace, or that is that important to me but, popup keeps asking me if I want to.

Thinking that the government agencies have all the info that they want anyway but, since I am not that keen on the idea anyway, and seeing as other entity may gain access to that cloud, as in hacking it, do you see any reason to do so?

In the event of upgrading to a new computer and retrieving that backup info, and loading it onto the new computer for convenience sake, I see no upside. Are there others?

Guessing if I delete the backup icon on my desktop, the starting to get on my nerve popup will go away?

Sorry for the 3rd degree, but thought there may be others who wonder. Hope this is not too confusing as well.

Thanks

First, don't think that deleting the icon is going to remove the annoying popup.....

Second, USB "thumb" drives are so cheap nowadays, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to back up all of your "important" files to one or a couple of these. Unless you have terabytes of music....but all of your docs, photos, etc.

The thread title says it all...

I run an NAS at my router. All PCs are mirrored to it in real time. All the backup I need for data. For the systems, when I commission them I do so on a used or surplused mechanical HDD. When they are the way I want them I clone the HHD to and SSD, label the HDD and put it away. When (given Windows, it's inevitable) they crash I just pull out the SSD, and reclone it from the HDD and keep on truckn'...

Dave

Do hear storage devices have fallen abunch.

As per my post, the MINIMUM you want is a two drive unit set to mirror. Anything written to one is written on the other. A single drive external may save you a few bucks...which you'll wish you hadn't saved if it craps.

Dave

Do hear storage devices have fallen abunch.

As per my post, the MINIMUM you want is a two drive unit set to mirror. Anything written to one is written on the other. A single drive external may save you a few bucks...which you'll wish you hadn't saved if it craps.

Dave

You have given me much to think about. Dang, with just 3 responders I am almost good. Near answered.

• Administrators

I'm a big believer of having a local backup and an offsite backup. I use Dropbox for my off-site backup (that link is a referral link that can get us both extra space for free, if one were so inclined to sign up), and a WD NAS for local. The only thing I really back up off-site though are documents. I couldn't afford backing up my terabyte of music and movies to the cloud...

• Administrators

I think what he is talking about is 2 identical drives set up in RAID as mirrored, meaning if one of the backup drives dies, the other one still contains the data, and can be mirrored back to a replacement. Think of it as a backup of your backup. Hard drives have a finite lifespan.

• Like 1

I think what he is talking about is 2 identical drives set up in RAID as mirrored, meaning if one of the backup drives dies, the other one still contains the data, and can be mirrored back to a replacement. Think of it as a backup of your backup. Hard drives have a finite lifespan.

Alright processing this now in my shallow mind.

I couldn't afford backing up my terabyte of music and movies to the cloud...

Ah, there's the rub! Agree about off site, but most of those here are concerned about thousands of hours of LP and other digitizing done over years. Cloud is not an answer.

My strategy is that the NAS is the first thing we grab in case of Hurricane or whatever.

I've used Mirrorfolder now for several years. Bit of a curve, but extremely flexible and reliable automatic BU and mirroring.

Dave

Thank to my external hard drive this past week, I did not loose all my music. The wife and baby knocked over my 44 oz sweetie cola beverage onto my laptop. It has not worked right since. I would like to get the music off the old computer and put it on the new laptop. Maybe next couple of weeks. All the music and play list from the old computer have duplicates files on the external hard drive and in the cloud. I lost everything once and said never again.

Onsite AND offsite backups to be safe. I have a little over 2TB backed up to Crashplan and I'm pretty happy.

Fast and flexible. They can back your data up to their servers, a local drive, a friends drive... lots of choice. You can get a "seed" drive (external) if you have a large backup. They send you a hard drive to which you begin the backup process (encrypted). You then send the drive to them and it gives you a huge head start on your backup. $12 bucks a month to backup every computer in the house and the seed drive was $110 or so to get started.

Ever been through a tornado or fire? or flood? You have to have an offsite backup to be safe.