Tube amp guys... GIH

Schu

it's available for fairly cheap... I want to see if it's worth it just to try out tube monos before making a big jump in price and a better set of monos. the volume pots have me worried, and caps.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

I'm always interested in learning, so please excuse the newbie questions; what exactly are we looking at?

And of course the dumbest of all dumb questions; where are the tubes? :lol:

Edited by wvu80

yeah justin... much more than 200'ish. I take it that it's a mistake to buy then?

it's a few hundred dollars more, nice finish... no idea what iron is used. you may know the guy, he is from LA/long beach. John Miller?

I figure I could get into them and get out of them without loosing much money...

$_57.JPG

10478130_770718759618132_486189617821106

1512675_772907616065913_8429270685383511

Edited by Schu

The amps in the pics rant mine... they look nice.

The outputs are Tomico I believe. The pair for $500 or less is a solid purchase.

Id ask the seller if they are quite. Our Heritage speakers are not so fun when run with noisy amps.

The speaker looks like all JBL/TAD parts.

And thank you for the kind words.!!!!!!!!

Schu,

I think the two knobs up top are some type of bias/balance adjust controls... the knob on the front is a input level control. I bet these amps sound great for the $ and should be a way to end up with minimal $ lost to try. Sure they have compromises anything you try for lower cost will...but that does not mean it will sound bad. I bet they have 15 to 20 watts per channel in pentode mode. Most likely EL84 output tubes..

If the price of admission around $500 why not!

eh.... this seller won't move of his price, a couple hundred more than most of you are suggesting as a value (750 shipped). they do come with 2 year warranty though. I might skip them... I just want a tube amp here to get an idea of what good tubes might sound like in my system.

"One of my best designs, tried and true. A pair of EL84 20 Watt Mono Blocks Not for those who accept average Overseas units. But for Audiophiles that demand excellence in their music system. Super Quiet idling -95db. Features: 4 and 8 Ohm Speaker terminals. Test points and Bias adj. pots top ...no burning fingers or tearing up the Amplifier to get to them. Response 18Hz-25Khz. Weight is 6 Lbs ea. These are all point to point hand wired. Newly manufactured Components...I do not use any NOS!"

Edited by Schu

Aside from the price, I'd be concerned about those top mounted bias adjustment pots, particularly since they have knobs. There's too much risk of the setting getting altered when dusting the amps (don't we all do that??? :D ). Those pots should have been recessed, and of the screwdriver adjustment type, to avoid any potential issues.

Maynard

Scrounge eBay for a vintage Magnavox console amplifier pull that's been rebuilt/freshened up.

There is the 9300 push-pull El-84 console amp series, and single-ended pentode El-84 console amps, such as the 8600 series and 196X series.

I tend to prefer the SEP El-84 versions myself.

They are ugly, but a way into tubes for cheap. The SE versions sound really good to myself wi Corn walls.

Mike

Scrounge eBay for a vintage Magnavox console amplifier pull that's been rebuilt/freshened up.

There is the 9300 push-pull El-84 console amp series, and single-ended pentode El-84 console amps, such as the 8600 series and 196X series.

I tend to prefer the SEP El-84 versions myself.

They are ugly, but a way into tubes for cheap. The SE versions sound really good to myself wi Corn walls.

Mike

I do see a bunch of old units, but since I dont know what I am looking at, I dont want to buy something and it not be representative of the tube experience.

even if they say they are rebuilt... how do I know how good of a job they did or if it's got issues

Edited by Schu

thanks you guys... like I had said (craig)... it's merely a stepping stone. I dont plan on staying at this level... for long.

Schu,

I realize your just wanting to get a taste. You might want to give me a call I have something here that might interest you.