A few years ago these were good for you!

JL Sargent

There are no studies done which prove that long term daily use of ecigs is safe or healthy.

I smoked cigarettes from 1981 to January 2013.  Then, I did a study of the e-cig on myself.  Here's what I found:

I no longer suffered bouts of dry cough in my sleep.  I did not stink.  My breathing improved.  On occasion, though, the roof of my mouth and lips felt "sunburned."  I am not sure whether that would be from e-cigs or from just quitting smoking.  There are many reports of people experiencing mouth ulcers after quitting smoking.  In any event, the overall comparison, from my experience, was e-cigs were far the better alternative if one had to "smoke" as a habit.

I got the flu in December 2013 and had to lay off the e-cig for about a week.  Having done that, I decided to quit the e-cig.  I would not recommend the e-cig to a non-smoker.  I would recommend it to a committed smoker who might find it to be an acceptable substitute for cigarettes.  

I am glad I gave all that up.  30 years....

• Like 1

Good for you, Jeff! Have you gained weight since quitting? That seems to be one side affect if you will.

Actually, about that same time I decided to quit, I told myself I needed to make a New Year's resolution.  There were 2 obvious possible, significant goals.  The first would be completing my software project.  Well, that was too iffy to call, with there being a few things not within my ready control.  The second was to lose weight and get in shape.  I chose number 2.

I am 5' 10".  I weighed around 205 as I recall, if not a little more (but certainly not less).  Now, I weigh 175.  I go on a walk/run daily (sometimes twice a day), where I run and walk, run some more, walk some more.  The total is just shy of 4 miles.  I run about 2.5 of that.  The speed is probably at an 8-minute mile when I am running.

Anyway, the short of it is I weigh less than when I graduated high school.  Now, I am trying to become as physically fit as I was back then.  I am getting close, but not there, yet.  It feels good to fit back into 32" blue jeans and to turn flab into muscle.

• Like 1

There is no telling how much you've added not only to the quality of your life but the longevity of it also. Congratulations and keep up the good work!

Certainly, the quality.  Longevity?  Hopefully...  if I don't crash and burn during one of those runs, LOL!!!!  

Anyway, thanks for the kind words....

There are no studies done which prove that long term daily use of ecigs is safe or healthy.

I smoked cigarettes from 1981 to January 2013.  Then, I did a study of the e-cig on myself.  Here's what I found:

I no longer suffered bouts of dry cough in my sleep.  I did not stink.  My breathing improved.  On occasion, though, the roof of my mouth and lips felt "sunburned."  I am not sure whether that would be from e-cigs or from just quitting smoking.  There are many reports of people experiencing mouth ulcers after quitting smoking.  In any event, the overall comparison, from my experience, was e-cigs were far the better alternative if one had to "smoke" as a habit.

I got the flu in December 2013 and had to lay off the e-cig for about a week.  Having done that, I decided to quit the e-cig.  I would not recommend the e-cig to a non-smoker.  I would recommend it to a committed smoker who might find it to be an acceptable substitute for cigarettes.  

Good news Jeff..........  Congrats

Good news Jeff..........  Congrats

Thanks, Oscar.  You know it was you who I thought of when I finally quit.  I remember you dogging me for not quitting all of it back then.

One more comment about the e-cig...  Since I quit the e-cig, I have not had any mouth ulcer or burn, so on the whole, I'd have to say the e-cig was a bit of an irritant to my mouth.  But I did breath better with it as compared to cigarettes.  On that basis, I would not say e-cigs are "not harmful at all."  There's an irritant there.... at least for me.

That was a cool video on Youtube.  Idiot Wind/Adam Levy & Blood on the Tracks.  Never heard of it, or them.  I never did get into Dylan, but really, besides from the burned-out radio tunes, I never gave the guy much of a chance.  I enjoyed this one.  It just finished up as I was typing this.  

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Jeff............  lung tissue has no pain sensors.  That's why cancers often get beyond treatment when they originate in lung tissue.  The tumors do not hurt.  They have lots of room to expand before they start to bleed or block a major airway.  Often tumors get so big that the shear weight of them pulls on the upper airways and that is the source of the incurable cough which sometimes leads to an initial cancer diagnosis.  

If you felt pain in your mouth from Ecigs you were having the same irritant impact in your lungs as well...........  you just did not feel any pain. 

Glad you're done with it all.  Wished everyone would follow suit.  Stick with it.  Don't let the bastards win.

• Like 1

life is not much fun when they do not work properly.

Amen to that. I smoked not only cigs; but, cigars, pipes, and (and i’m not joking) obscene amounts of pot every single day for years. I had enough money to live on, so i just partied all day and all night. Got stoned one afternoon and went on a beer run. Walking across the parking lot of the liquor store and i got short of breath suddenly -- never been the same since … that was 1980.  Now i take pills and inhalers to keep my lungs and airways working.  It sucks. 

I joke around and blame it on Jimmy Carter because there was talk back then of the govt funding the spraying of marijuana plants with paraquat--thinking that nobody would smoke it if it had been sprayed with poison--they were wrong, at least one person still did.  Although, nobody else i know from that circle of friends ever got sick…so it was probably just my body saying “I’ve had enough." 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

It feels good to fit back into 32" blue jeans
Hey Jeff--congrats, i’m back down to size 32 myself.  Once upon a time, 38 was getting very tight. i think 32 is what i was wearing in high school. most folks my age are increasing their waist--my is shrinking. 
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I no longer suffered bouts of dry cough in my sleep. I did not stink. My breathing improved. On occasion, though, the roof of my mouth and lips felt "sunburned." I am not sure whether that would be from e-cigs or from just quitting smoking. There are many reports of people experiencing mouth ulcers after quitting smoking. In any event, the overall comparison, from my experience, was e-cigs were far the better alternative if one had to "smoke" as a habit.

I did the same as you about the same time as I remember, but never had any mouth problems, the e cigs were much better than cigarettes as far as health. I am not saying good but much better, I am down to a fraction of the nicotine compared to cigarettes.  

I know it's not a good thing, who could be that stupid, but it's much better than cigarettes and this will be easier to quit as it's slowly happening now.