Xbox One and PS4 owners step in

K5SS

• Moderators
I had a moment of weakness and purchased a Xbox One.

Yep, you should have purchased a PS4.  :lol::P  Just kidding.  Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.  :D  I'm sure both are great platforms.  Amazing how far consoles have come over the past 10 years.  Sure wasn't what I grew up playing. 

Let us know what you think about it after you have it setup for awhile.

Edited by Youthman

I am in the heart of Microsoftville. A large percentage of my income if generated off Microsoft and it's employees. I had to give back;)

Plus, I have never been a PS fan..

Anyway, I up just figured this thread would be a good idea to see what all you creative audio/video people are using your systems for. There is a HDMI cable input in the back, I will do a little reading and see if I should utilize it.

• Moderators
I heard the PS4 doesn't have the Music icon for music play back. Is this true, this is one of the things I love about my PS3.

You are correct.  The PS3 was designed around a multimedia platform where the PS4 is geared more towards gaming and bluray.

I loved the music library feature of the PS3 until I purchased an AppleTV.  Now I stream my music or video directly from my iPhone / iPad through my system.

ps4 owner here.   i'm pretty sure that sony elected not to put music playback on the new system, so that they could push their own music subscription (i forget what they're calling it).

i've read that they're supposed to be adding it with a firmware update, but who knows how far out that will be.

PS3 and PS4 owner.  The lack of DLNA/media server streaming on the PS4 really got me.  I didn't buy it for that, but just expected that the feature would be there.  We use Pandora now a lot and move the PS3 back downstairs when we want to stream from the media server. 

I also have a Sony BPD-S5100 which does stream from my media server, but it doesn't have a randomize/shuffle feature.  It is pretty frustrating that they don't have some common feature sets across the devices.  The PS3 and s5100 menus look very similar.

From Sony:

The PlayStation®4 does not support DLNA or media servers, which means it is not possible to view content from another device on your console. (Updated Statement: We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.)

There are still many ways to enjoy video and music on your PS4™. Music Unlimited is our streaming music service, that can even play music in the background while you're gaming. Video Unlimited, Netflix, and Amazon are just a few of the ways you can watch TV and movies on your system.