Badly beat up LaScala restoration completed

mustang guy

I agree with everyone; out-Freakin'-standing!

Normally, I hate Black, but for your shop, WoW!

OK, I could live with a high gloss piano Black, or real wood grain black; or any, if the price is right.

Yes, Sancho summed it up well!  What a great post.  Great talent!  Brings me back to 1980 when I used Bondo on my Buick GS.  Actually it was a 1970 Skylark that I converted into a GS.  Got the hood, air cleaner, ducts, bought  a new grill and all emblems direct from the local Buick dealer.  Sold it to get through my last year of college.  Wish I still had it, but not too bummed because it was not an authentic GS.  Please post final pics!

• Like 1

On 9/13/2014 at 8:28 PM, tnr said:

On 9/13/2014 at 10:53 AM, Sancho Panza said:

I agree with everyone; out-Freakin'-standing!

Normally, I hate Black, but for your shop, WoW!

OK, I could live with a high gloss piano Black, or real wood grain black; or any, if the price is right.

Yes, Sancho summed it up well!  What a great post.  Great talent!  Brings me back to 1980 when I used Bondo on my Buick GS.  Actually it was a 1970 Skylark that I converted into a GS.  Got the hood, air cleaner, ducts, bought  a new grill and all emblems direct from the local Buick dealer.  Sold it to get through my last year of college.  Wish I still had it, but not too bummed because it was not an authentic GS.  Please post final pics!

Thanks. Here are a few more progress pics. The front DEFINITELY goes slower than the top did. The process is exactly the same as the top. The trick is to start working the rasp before the filler hardens. I bet I mixed up 20 batches of filler and rasped and blocked them off just for the front.

I ran out of primer, so some of this still looks rough even though it is smooth and the edges crisp.

oWjcSYl.jpg

Here is an example of how small of an amount you use to make an edge:

JFeM8Rr.jpg

I have to be prepared that this isn't enough. I will block this down, and if there is another small bad place, I hit it again. It's tedious work.

I use a marker to know the bad places that need work. This putty hardens quickly, so much of the time I am making a batch of about a teaspoon. Here's an example of marking.

KzChlKP.jpg

The bottom corners were a bit of work. Here is before Duratex.

4twGTWI.jpg

Tomorrow I work on the sides. After that, I coat with Duratex twice, put the network and drivers back in, and take some pics for ya'll. Total restoration time probably 15 hours.

ogWuac1.jpg

I have been having troubles with photobucket, but I finally got the pictures loaded.

The K55 is freshly painted and new hardware:

vf0SQqh.jpg

New bottom cover. 3/4" oak veneer plywood, low void:

GothJHx.jpg

Vinyl foam weatherseal for bass bin cover:

9GcW9DU.jpg

Applied:

TeEpcge.jpg

Line up the screw holes. This bit is slightly larger than the screw. It has to have play:

y5EoKZC.jpg

Installed painted with Duratex, and feet added to the corners.:

znZN4Bs.jpg

JeqnyGS.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, and it sounds as good as it looks. It will make a nice new center for me. I will be switching out to an AL-3, as I like my front three with AL-3's and the other speakers AA's. I would go all AL-3, but I don't have enough of them.   :)

Edited by mustang guy

Terrific!  :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

+++

Any idea what happened to the other one that was "dropped off the truck?"  It must be somewhere. 

No clue. I figure a land fill or a burn pile. I bet the K-43 and the horns were fine. And that was a newly recapped AA crossover too! It happened at Marshall, and it was greek week last year.

Edited by mustang guy

Those remind me of the speakers that hugeroost bought.  They were dropped so hard that I had to glue and clamp them back together.   They were actually out of square and daylight showed through the seams. One had about a 3/16" gap.  It looked like the corner that took the blow was one of the top ones.  It must have tip, flipped and fell a pretty good distance.  It's amazing the damage that people inflict on these things.

Great job Craig!  I always enjoy your threads and pictures.

Thanks Carl.  I used glue in parts of the bottoms where there was a bit of delamination due to moisture. Actually it wasn't a bit out of square. While I had the doghouse open, I put swelling glue down the front where sometimes leaks occur. I don't believe there were any, but they will be more solid now.

Never throw a LaScala away! Send it to me.   :)

Words to live by.

At least around this forum...

+++

The way you described the speaker being dropped off the truck, I thought all the anguish happened last week, not last year.  I thought you were abnormally calm about the whole thing, as I would have flipped.