fisher 500c

H-D Rider

I`am looking to get into something tubie,  with out spending mcintosh  money .  Would a 500c be a keeper if I sent it to craig for full treatment . Have ss mc stuff now and love my sound . but have read a lot of your guys stuff about tube gear and klipsch . Am I missing something or is it just a different flavor thing . Thanks 

• Like 1

picked this unit up about a month ago.....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFGKKR2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1......... I have it driving a Marantz CD-67se, which then plays thru some recapped quartets in my garage. sounds okay, I'm going to play around with the positioning of the quartets to try and get some better sound quality.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BtnGR5FcL.jpg

Edited by angusruler

I`am looking to get into something tubie,  with out spending mcintosh  money .  Would a 500c be a keeper if I sent it to craig for full treatment . Have ss mc stuff now and love my sound . but have read a lot of your guys stuff about tube gear and klipsch . Am I missing something or is it just a different flavor thing . Thanks 

I'm a dedicated tube guy. It's a different flavor and then some. Personally, I feel tubes and horns are a great marriage. Well to be honest tubes and electrostats are an epic marriage sometimes a bit like Burton and Taylor though...

Edited by russ69
  • Like 2

Thanks russ69 , I would use the 500 with my belles or chorus 2` s . I just feel the need to try tubes . like I may be missing something . or is it just another never happy - chasing the sound thing or gear collecting thing . I don`t know ? .............

Edited by newtune

Personally, I think it's almost night and day with tubes or ss with Belles....You will absolutely love the tubes with your Belles, I do.  Although I don't have Chorus II's (but dearly want some....), I would imagine that a good tube amp would rock the world with those big boys....sorry, a little carried away I know.....

So, having said that, I have this sweetheart that I have used to power everything from Heresy's, to Cornwall's to Belle's, (mostly for testing), but it is quite impressive for it's size and price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057OI448?psc=1

But then again, I also have Justin Weber's bad a$$ Stereo 15 Special Edition that is absolutely awesome as my main,go to, everyday, power source.  It's on the Belle's now, and will stay there.....Check it out....

http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/stereo-15-special-edition/

Next step for the 500c is to get the right tubes that fit with your room and speakers. I spend nearly 400 dollars in tubes before I found the magical combination.

Doesn't take long when you're rolling NOS tubes. But when you get the right combo its worth 10 times the price of admission. :emotion-22::emotion-21:

Having worked with SS Mac and various tube gears on Heritage, here's what I can tell you:

The midrange and top will be an improvement with tubes. A well rebuilt Fisher will do a lot for what you hear from the mids and highs, especially with good vintage tubes.

BUT......

You will also miss something too - the "heft" and authoritative warmth that the Mac SS brings. To get the best of all worlds, you want tube gear with a hefty power supply. The VRDs excel in this - they give the best of all worlds, the excellent image and clarity with the authority in the lower registers. A pair of Mac 60's would also qualify.

I like the Scott integrateds and Fisher receivers a great deal. They are well worth the money. That said, I was never truly happy in a long term sense for a main system until I looked at the more serious gear. If you're doing the Fisher as a second system, it's well worth it.

Even the much revered McIntosh MC30s miss some in the lower registers. The mids and highs are legendary, but still a bit lacking in the power supply on material with complex/busy bass. VRDs fixed that in a hurry. You can go to great lengths (and expense) to get it totally right.

For the $$$ though, the Fisher is a good way to go.

• Like 1

Having worked with SS Mac and various tube gears on Heritage, here's what I can tell you:

The midrange and top will be an improvement with tubes. A well rebuilt Fisher will do a lot for what you hear from the mids and highs, especially with good vintage tubes.

BUT......

You will also miss something too - the "heft" and authoritative warmth that the Mac SS brings. To get the best of all worlds, you want tube gear with a hefty power supply. The VRDs excel in this - they give the best of all worlds, the excellent image and clarity with the authority in the lower registers. A pair of Mac 60's would also qualify.

I like the Scott integrateds and Fisher receivers a great deal. They are well worth the money. That said, I was never truly happy in a long term sense for a main system until I looked at the more serious gear. If you're doing the Fisher as a second system, it's well worth it.

Even the much revered McIntosh MC30s miss some in the lower registers. The mids and highs are legendary, but still a bit lacking in the power supply on material with complex/busy bass. VRDs fixed that in a hurry. You can go to great lengths (and expense) to get it totally right.

For the $$$ though, the Fisher is a good way to go.

YEP!

I have a fisher 500c. I did tons of research before buying the unit and i gathered that for the money it is pretty much the best you can buy. It can be had, or should be had, and totally restored by craig at nosvalve for around 1000$. For what it has to offer this is a great deal. I can attest this unit sounds excelent. Some say it is a good begginer tube unit then maybe in the future you can upgrade to a amp that will cost a few thousands, and HOPE it willsounds better;) Remember this is also a receiver so it has tuner, phono, aux input, etc.

Alex

Edited by alexg5775

With my speakers being at nearly 105 db per watt, I find the Fisher 500c has plenty of heft. However, I also found that tube selection plays a big role in this. My NOS quad of Sylvania power tubes was a big difference in sound compared to the JJ's I had before.

Thank`s to all of you , I can`t wait to hear it with my belles . Like I said before love my mcintosh sound . But its also cool keeping the old gear alive, And from what all of you have said I think I`am going to like it a lot. Old guy`s,  old gear.  old ears. still sounds great .  :D

• Like 1