All you Pink Floyd fans . . .

mustang guy

Roger Taylor, the drummer for Queen once said that he knew performers that were so into themselves that they expected the crowd to sit there “and listen to my art.”  According to Brian May, We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions were specifically written for crowd participation. He said they did a show one night and the place was packed; but, the people were on their feet. He asked himself what they could do to enjoy it more and he said, “they could stand there and clap their hands and stomp their feet.”  That night, he wrote We Will Rock You.

Makes sense … if the crowd is involved, they’re going to enjoy it more.

Until they get old and have to sit in the handicapped section and get mad at people standing up blocking their view.   :D

I instantly thought of lou reed reading your post! saw him at the warner theater in d.c. many moons ago, and he  got really pissed because people wanted to hear "sweet jane!"he specifically told my friends and I to "SHUT-UP!" we felt sooooo special.

joe Jackson actually asked the crowd to be quiet during his "big world" shows. I believe the final recording was made in japan......guess the Japanese wanted to be polite!

I wish I had the pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd while I was older. While on a trip to Europe in in 1988 (I was 5), they were playing a concert in Versailles, right after Momentary Lapse of Reason was released. I remember being able to hear them through the window of my uncle's apartment.  I did see Roger Waters twice though- on the In the Flesh tour in 2001 ish, and when he played Dark Side in it's entirety- I forget the tour name.

Anyone have any thoughts on Australian Pink Floyd? They were pretty amusing, too. For those who never saw PF live.

took my sons to see the dark side show. except for his ignorant political views it was great.

• Like 1

post-45111-0-23740000-1421114385_thumb.j

Well, I made it through one listening and am doing so again this evening.  The Endless River is typical if Pink Floyd in that the recording quality is excellent to say the least, and listening, especially to the first tracks, you get the feeling that it is cobbled together out of pieces influenced by their other albums.  Even a short burst of Stephen Hawking in one track.

Being 99% instrumental it lacks the flow of their other albums, meaning great soundtracks, guitar riffs, and singing, followed by instrumentals that break just at the right time with more singing.  This just kind of chugs along with instrumentals.  A hint of new age music, but it has the Pink Floyd sound. 

That said, holding them to a very high standard because of who they are, it is definately worth the $13 for the CD and it is a hit play and enjoy album.  But Animals, Wish you were here or Dark Side of the Moon it isn't.  And yes, Dark Side is one of their best, just played too much on the radio.  If you never heard it and discovered it you would go crazy over Dark Side. 

I wish they would get back in the studio. 

ahhhhh....."animals".......still my favorite.

joe Jackson actually asked the crowd to be quiet during his "big world" shows. I believe the final recording was made in japan

Most countries in Europe and a bunch in Asia do not make a lot of noise when watching a concert. Their opinion on it is that it is improper to make noise. I've always thought it was weird myself, although I do have to say I've been 50/50 on making a bunch of noise depending on who it is I'm seeing.

I've always liked to take it in,except when I was stage diving and crowd surfing at a White Zombie or Metallica concert. Then I don't pay attention to much. But someone like Clapton or Joe Satriani is a different story,I will sit quietly and take it all in.

joe Jackson actually asked the crowd to be quiet during his "big world" shows. I believe the final recording was made in japan

Most countries in Europe and a bunch in Asia do not make a lot of noise when watching a concert. Their opinion on it is that it is improper to make noise. I've always thought it was weird myself, although I do have to say I've been 50/50 on making a bunch of noise depending on who it is I'm seeing.

I've always liked to take it in,except when I was stage diving and crowd surfing at a White Zombie or Metallica concert. Then I don't pay attention to much. But someone like Clapton or Joe Satriani is a different story,I will sit quietly and take it all in.

haha! yea especially with satriani. my chin is usually on my chest....and I can't speak.

Satriani was just around recently 

You should also try to see the B-52's if you ever get the chance. Not a person sits at their shows. They came out into the audience at one of their shows and had a conga line going throughout the audience,up on stage,backstage, and back into the audience. I took my kids to see them also.

Brian Setzer also puts on a great show.All small venues with him, so it's like a big party with him.

• Like 2

Hey Angusruler have you ever seen Several Species down in Baltimore? They play a few times there a year.

Me and the wife go to the Pier 6. Pavilion. One of my customer got us tickets years ago. So now we see them every year.

To my understanding these guys have "real" jobs but they do these shows in Baltimore and I think a few other places.....not %100 sure on that.

Well anywho they do all Pink Floyd.......really good stuff.......

:-)

I wish I had the pleasure of seeing Pink Floyd while I was older. While on a trip to Europe in in 1988 (I was 5), they were playing a concert in Versailles, right after Momentary Lapse of Reason was released. I remember being able to hear them through the window of my uncle's apartment.  I did see Roger Waters twice though- on the In the Flesh tour in 2001 ish, and when he played Dark Side in it's entirety- I forget the tour name.

Anyone have any thoughts on Australian Pink Floyd? They were pretty amusing, too. For those who never saw PF live.

took my sons to see the dark side show. except for his ignorant political views it was great.

Agreed. Stick to the music.

• Like 1

Satriani was just around recently 

You should also try to see the B-52's if you ever get the chance. Not a person sits at their shows. They came out into the audience at one of their shows and had a conga line going throughout the audience,up on stage,backstage, and back into the audience. I took my kids to see them also.

Brian Setzer also puts on a great show.All small venues with him, so it's like a big party with him.

"cosmic thing" is a greatalbum. really good bass.

Hey Angusruler have you ever seen Several Species down in Baltimore? They play a few times there a year.

Me and the wife go to the Pier 6. Pavilion. One of my customer got us tickets years ago. So now we see them every year.

To my understanding these guys have "real" jobs but they do these shows in Baltimore and I think a few other places.....not %100 sure on that.

Well anywho they do all Pink Floyd.......really good stuff.......

:-)

no i haven't. pier six isa nice venue. saw dream theater and john hiatt there. different nights of course.
  • Like 1

"cosmic thing" is a greatalbum. really good bass.

They had an awesome drummer then, for their type of music. That was the 1st time I saw them,was back when they released that album. That's also when Kate Pierson was hot as heck. 

Brian Setzer also puts on a great show

Ah, Brian Setzer … my fellow Gretsch man.  Love his work. 

He's one of my favorites. A guy I went to school told me how his father and Brian hung out together in high school and how they started the Stray Cats. He used to live in my neck of the woods before moving to Cali. I've seen him 5 times in concert and brought my kids to see his Christmas spectacular show. Only about 4-500 people in the show and he plays on a revolving stage.

Back in 1985-1986 I played trumpet and wanted to do a revival of big band with a rock twist, but my friends said I was crazy and it would never happen.