It's Here!

BigStewMan

Could Ebola make a good biological war bug?  Honestly I do not know.  Obviously it is lethal enough once caught.  But in its current status it is not infectious enough.  It really needs to be airborne.  Using such weapons would be more doomsday than tactical.  If you aim to win a conflict using them you'd have to be able to manage the spread of the illness.  Your side would need a vaccine or a cure and your adversary none.     Terrifyingly there are such people out there willing to use Ebola as a doomsday weapon.  Radicals could self infect and intentionally travel the globe working to seed the bug in susceptible populations.  These are some scary times.

Totally agree. As we know it, this wouldn’t be a good weapon..like Oscar said, it would have to be easily contained or it’s just a doomsday weapon. Now, i’m not saying that many of the things written in those articles that Bruce posted are false either--i merely think the author jumped to some conclusions that I’m not ready to make.  

I’ve no doubt that the virus has been studied at length, and it may very well have “escaped” from a lab. It doesn’t surprise me that the labs aren’t in metropolitan areas either--much like an aircraft dumping fuel before an emergency landing--minimize collateral damage in the event of a disaster. While our nation’s history surely has some dark instances … i’m still hoping that those days are just that … in our history.  Although, i long ago lost faith in my fellow man and believe that mankind is naturally evil and selfish … so while something nefarious would be disappointing, it wouldn’t be completely surprising.  

God help us as there seem to be too many idiots stirring the pot and stoking the fire.  Obviously the world would be better off without so many people.  I expect to see more pandemic's in the future.  I would hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

Does anyone know how far back the mamale that has survived the longest so far, has been here?  Might give us a target to aim past.  

The dinosaurs appear to have been much better equipped than we are.  I am reading a book by Carl Sagan right now that happens to have the info.  The dinosaurs made it 180 million years and an asteroid took them out.  We are at about 1 million years.  Our chances are slim in surpassing them, but we might be reduced to a fraction of our population (for a good amount of time there were about 20,000 humans on the earth), the earth heal, repopulate, and go through the cycle many times.

I am very skeptical and cynical and still do not believe that this outbreak is intentional.  The government promotes business and the interest of the powerful in making more money and getting more power (and does not care who gets hurt in the process).  A pandemic will kill consumers and taxpayers.  No real money in it, and, although it wil be the least of our worries, our economy will be destroyed in the process. 

Now there’s a voice of reason … you sure you’re a lawyer?   :D

Us now enacting a 21 day quarantine of sorts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/us-plans-21-day-monitoring-of-people-who-arrive-from-ebola-stricken-nations/2014/10/22/376a907c-5a1b-11e4-bd61-346aee66ba29_story.html

So far although not the best of scenario's this seems a step in the right direction,  Not sure how the self quarantine will work as it requires a level of self discipline, at least it is a step  (more than I have seen so far)

something that i have trouble understanding is that doctors and nurses that seemingly have great hearts (some do good deeds for selfish reasons) and put themselves at risk to help others by being in high risk areas or around infected people, then don’t honor a voluntary quarantine. The television news medical crew that left their quarantine and went out for soup (while their boss, also a doctor, refused to even quarantine himself), this NY doctor went bowling last night--103 fever today. They care enough about people to put themselves at risk then immediately following care more about themselves and put others at risk.  A great paradox.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Ebola now in New York.  God help them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/nyregion/craig-spencer-is-tested-for-ebola-virus-at-bellevue-hospital-in-new-york-city.html

"Even as the authorities worked to confirm that Mr. Spencer was infected with Ebola, it emerged that he traveled from Manhattan to Brooklyn on the subway on Wednesday night, when he went to a bowling alley, and then took a taxi home."

It does sound like maybe they dodged this bullet, since he says he didn't develop the fever until the next morning.  

We shall see.

Edited by Steven1963

Ebola is now in the country of Mali in West Africa.  The World Health Organization is admonishing themselves for letting this outbreak get out of control in the 1st place.  But, they are allowing it to migrate.  I try to give professional acknowledgement of wisdom.  But it is not so easy when you witness this.  It appears as though decisions are being made more on an economic/political basis than on sound medical science.  In Asia when strains of the deadly bird flu started to present instantly draconian measures went into action to squash the disease and isolate its human victims.  In West Africa the governments failed and the UN failed and now one strain of Ebola is loose and popping up all over the planet.  It is hard to watch and there are some sick minds that could easily try to capitalize on this situation.  

Edited by oscarsear

Ebola is now in the country of Mali in West Africa.  The World Health Organization is admonishing themselves for letting this outbreak get out of control in the 1st place.  But, they are allowing it to migrate.  I try to give professional acknowledgement of wisdom.  But it is not so easy when you witness this.  It appears as though decisions are being made more on an economic/political basis than on sound medical science.  In Asia when strains of the deadly bird flu started to present instantly draconian measures went into action to squash the disease and isolate its human victims.  In West Africa the governments failed and the UN failed and now one strain of Ebola is loose and popping up all over the planet.  It is hard to watch and there are some sick minds that could easily try to capitalize on this situation.  

This is the most serious outbreak that we have seen (or will be).  Taking big steps now to provide facilities and quarrintine will be expensive in the short term, but a fraction of the cost of the long term expenses and consequences of this which will be enormous, not to mention the suffering and loss associated with not getting a handle on this now. 

If there is a small fire in the woods a mile from your house, do you try to fireproof your house or go put out the fire before it becomes huge? 

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

Don't worry, New York has been preparing for an Ebola outbreak for months.  At least that is what New York City leaders are telling the public. 

So, if they've been preparing for this for months why the HE11 is this happening?  

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-24/nypd-stunner-cops-exit-ebola-victim-appartment-dump-gloves-masks-sidewalk-trash-can

I swear I can't imagine a worst time for our elected leaders to be so incompetent.

Protocol.  That's all I hear about, is how we have the strictest protocols to deal with this and that is why it won't spread.

Well, forgive me for being a bit cynical.

Edited by Steven1963

Just when you start to feel good about it, now its in NYC

Gotta love a Dr. that  feels ill but does not have a fever so decides to go to the park, go bowling, travel on the subway,  What the heck goes through these peoples minds ??

City officials state " he only had contact with 3 people"  Slow day for the subway I guess, and a private bowling party

Funny they have closed down the bowling alley for decontamination.....................Just a precaution over someone that cannot have transmitted the virus as he had no symptoms........................only a small contradiction there dont worry new yorkers  you will be fine

I bet it would be tons cheaper and one hell of a lot easier / safer to just have forced quarantine on this nitwit (I have a hard time looking at anyone that intentionally exposes hundreds to a potential deadly virus as a Dr.) 

Gotta love a Dr. that  feels ill but does not have a fever so decides to go to the park, go bowling, travel on the subway,  What the heck goes through these peoples minds ??

City officials state " he only had contact with 3 people"  Slow day for the subway I guess, and a private bowling party

Funny they have closed down the bowling alley for decontamination.....................Just a precaution over someone that cannot have transmitted the virus as he had no symptoms........................only a small contradiction there dont worry new yorkers  you will be fine

I bet it would be tons cheaper and one hell of a lot easier / safer to just have forced quarantine on this nitwit (I have a hard time looking at anyone that intentionally exposes hundreds to a potential deadly virus as a Dr.) 

Don't worry, just seal yourself up into a cocoon of plastic and you will be OK.

JJK

Don't worry, just seal yourself up into a cocoon of plastic and you will be OK.

JJK

Not worried I dont live any where near NYC and if this gets wide spread we are self sufficient,  Its the ignorance that bothers me, I think of what my kids will have to deal with in the future.............................what I see is a country headed to hell in a hand basket, way to many setting around setting around with there heads up there 3rd point of contact trusting the Govt to take care of everything.  Problem is all one need do is open there eyes 

I am sure you are above all that, Just be sure you dont knock at the wrong door if stuff really hits the fan,  I am sure the Govt will be there for you