OK, so it's a car sub thing

USNRET

I need to finally update my car (pickup) system and the local boys want $300 to build a box. I think I can beat that in the garage over a 6 pack. What do you sub 'perts think of ported vs. sealed in this application. I think the ported one in the referenced link looks nifty. It'll be for bottom fill not loosen the rivets boom. Any thoughts on what I should be doing or just go to clutchfield and buy something?

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/49163-whats-a-good-sub-enclosure-setup-for-extended-cab-silverados/

2003 Silverado SS

Edited by USNRET

I've seen a single 15 hit 151 decibels in an extended cab Silverado before. :) Dude cut out the metal behind the cab and the front of the bed, sealed it with a gasket, put a truck bed cover on, then fired the sub towards the tailgate from about 2' away.

For the type of listening you'll be doing, a sealed 10 or 12 would be fine. You won't need a crazy amp and wiring.  Sealed subs benefit from cabin gain as well.

jl audio JX500/1D and CP 212-wov3.......hooked into the stock system with a volume control for the amp mounted next to the headlight switch in my VW CC.

first tried a jl jx360/2 (in mono) and a CP 112.....didn't give me the punch I was looking for.

I had always used sealed boxes that I built myself, until now. the CP-212 is a ported box that I'm very happy with!

post-45111-0-49280000-1413322139_thumb.j

post-45111-0-99480000-1413322147_thumb.j

Much depends on the volume you want to play at.

Better to go bigger than not have enough and strain your equipment.

A suburban or extended cab truck cab will be a much bigger space to fill than a compact car trunk, no reason to compare the two.

If you drive with the windows down on the highway offer yourself enough volume to overcome the road noise.

A suburban or extended cab truck cab will be a much bigger space to fill than a compact car trunk, no reason to compare the two.

If you drive with the windows down on the highway offer yourself enough volume to overcome the road noise.

I don't know about anyone else, I wasn't comparing. for that matter, a chevy extended p/up might sound completely different than a ford or dodge. the only way to find out is to install and listen.

if you have someone else do the work, be sure they will let you exchange components til you get the sound you want.

Not sure what you mean by "space to fill"...

In terms of fitting equipment in there, cars are always easier to get lots of subs in compared to an extended cab truck.  There's hardly anywhere to put anything in a truck unless you give up your bed, and what's the point of having a truck if you do that?  

In terms of filling the interior with sound, strangely, larger vehicles are often louder even with the same equipment.  Something about the 1/4 wavelength rule and stuff.  We used to put SPL microphones under the dash by the floorboard as far away from the subs as possible, which is where it was the loudest.  

In terms of fitting equipment in there, cars are always easier to get lots of subs in compared to an extended cab truck.  There's hardly anywhere to put anything in a truck unless you give up your bed, and what's the point of having a truck if you do that?  

In terms of filling the interior with sound, strangely, larger vehicles are often louder even with the same equipment.  Something about the 1/4 wavelength rule and stuff.  We used to put SPL microphones under the dash by the floorboard as far away from the subs as possible, which is where it was the loudest.  

when I had one of my ford extended cabs I used a bazooka sub between the passenger seat and the rear seat. didn't use too much room, and the bass was okey dokey.

I don't know about anyone else, I wasn't comparing. for that matter, a chevy extended p/up might sound completely different than a ford or dodge. the only way to find out is to install and listen.

if you have someone else do the work, be sure they will let you exchange components til you get the sound you want.

I was referring to the comment on the trunk mounted car sub, no to your post.

Cubic feet of cabin space.

There is always space available, you just need to be creative sometimes.

Proper subwoofer placement is most important.

I was referring to the comment on the trunk mounted car sub, no to your post.

ok....and I agree with your earlier statement....basically better to have to much than not enough. I rarely turn the volume past 5 or 6....it's nice knowing I can though!

• Like 1

when I had one of my ford extended cabs I used a bazooka sub between the passenger seat and the rear seat. didn't use too much room, and the bass was okey dokey.

Had one of those back in the day, sold it within a week.

My first experiment was well before subwoofers were mainstream, threw a 15" woofer on the trunk deck along with 4 6x9s on my 73 Delta 88. The sun ate the paper cone within a month. :mad:

• Like 2

The sealed 10 I had in my car was used by my son while we were building the box that would eventually go in his truck.  It easily filled the 4 door truck with bass and had no trouble keeping up with his mains.  It would not blur your vision like his ported 15 does but I'd think it's safe to say that Mike's not looking for that.

We used an 8" Bazooka tube in my wife's GMC mini van years ago.  it was plenty of bottom end for her style of listening in that body.  For BALANCED bass, you don't need a huge subwoofer in a vehicle.

I've seen a single 15 hit 151 decibels in an extended cab Silverado before. :) Dude cut out the metal behind the cab and the front of the bed, sealed it with a gasket, put a truck bed cover on, then fired the sub towards the tailgate from about 2' away.

That's pretty cool.  Not necessarily the 151 but how he got there.

The sealed 10 I had in my car was used by my son while we were building the box that would eventually go in his truck.  It easily filled the 4 door truck with bass and had no trouble keeping up with his mains.  It would not blur your vision like his ported 15 does but I'd think it's safe to say that Mike's not looking for that.

I can't stand bloated boomy bass myself, nor do i care to run out of available headroom. My son on the other hand likes the big bloated bass and runs a pair of ported high end 10's.

We used an 8" Bazooka tube in my wife's GMC mini van years ago.  it was plenty of bottom end for her style of listening in that body.  For BALANCED bass, you don't need a huge subwoofer in a vehicle.

Big drivers are fine as long as they are properly tuned, even a small driver can sound like crap if its not done right.

Size is not everything, proper placement and tuning is much more important for a good sounding system.