RELISTED! Pioneer SX-1280 $739

mustang guy

This item has been re-listed. The guy put in bold letters

!! EXPECT  PAYMENT WITHIN 24 HOURS AFTER PURCHASE !!

I just bought a Technics SA-5760 or I'd be all over this thing. It needs work...  1 day listing only

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Pioneer-SX-1280-Monsters-receiver-185-WPC-Need-work-One-day-listing-/191383020164?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2c8f512284

No affil...

Edited by mustang guy

Why are you buying more stuff?  You have stuff, lots of stuff.  Good stuff.  :)

I presume you got another good deal.  We live in the same area, but I swear you must know 10 times more people than I do, because I never run into the same local deals as you do.  Everybody wants a deal.

I have a nice modern AVR, but I am always looking for more stuff; there is no reason for that.  I have what I want, and I like what I have.  But...

If I only had another amp with a little more headroom for those L/C/R speakers...  :rolleyes:

Why are you buying more stuff?  You have stuff, lots of stuff.  Good stuff.  :)

I presume you got another good deal.  We live in the same area, but I swear you must know 10 times more people than I do, because I never run into the same local deals as you do.  Everybody wants a deal.

I have a nice modern AVR, but I am always looking for more stuff; there is no reason for that.  I have what I want, and I like what I have.  But...

If I only had another amp with a little more headroom for those L/C/R speakers...  :rolleyes:

But it no worky... just clicky click.

Guy's that's a smoking deal, it needs to be gone through weather it works or not anyway, shipping worries me though, its heavy. I have both 12's, they are super strong, imo its hard to top one, and I have some Mac gear too, this pioneer brought up to spec will hang with anything. I highly recommend somebody get this puppy, look how great a shape its in !! bet its a simple fix...Roost

I don't know. Are the parts for these easy to get? The guy seems to know something about repairing units. He states it's a complex circuit, and that if it were a Sansui he would have already had it running. Sounds like it could be a headache.

The seller is assuming the protection relay is at fault; however, the problems could be much more significant.  Note that a protection relay often lets a user know when something else is problematic. 

If I'm thinking about it correctly, the protection relay is designed to detect DC offset at the speaker terminals and if detected, open's the speaker leads to protect.  The usual suspects being leaky outputs. 

This is one of those instances where all resistors and transistors in the driver stage and output stage, or even in the pre-amp stage, could be the suspected culprit. 

Just a couple of the reasons why a full restoration of these units is often prudent and recommended.

Here is the excerpt from the ad at the link above.

* In +/-3 second after turn "ON" the Protector relay click "ON" , you can heard sound in the speakers and them immediately the Protector relay click "OFF" again.- I test with CD Player and when the click is "ON" i can heard a good sound in the speaker , but immediately the relay click "OFF" and them not sound , it happens in circle . (RECEIVER NEED WORK)

Note: if this were a Sansui 9090DB will be easy to fix just replaced 2 resistor in an easy circuit to work (resistor out as $ 3 in Radioshack , the work is no more than 10 minutes), but i do not know as solve this problem in the Pioneer SX (it is not a friendly circuit ) and I prefer to leave the problem to the new owner .

The seller is assuming the protection relay is at fault; however, the problems could be much more significant.  Note that a protection relay often lets a user know when something else is problematic. 

If I'm thinking about it correctly, the protection relay is designed to detect DC offset at the speaker terminals and if detected, open's the speaker leads to protect.  The usual suspects being leaky outputs. 

This is one of those instances where all resistors and transistors in the driver stage and output stage, or even in the pre-amp stage, could be the suspected culprit. 

Just a couple of the reasons why a full restoration of these units is often prudent and recommended.

Here is the excerpt from the ad at the link above.

* In +/-3 second after turn "ON" the Protector relay click "ON" , you can heard sound in the speakers and them immediately the Protector relay click "OFF" again.- I test with CD Player and when the click is "ON" i can heard a good sound in the speaker , but immediately the relay click "OFF" and them not sound , it happens in circle . (RECEIVER NEED WORK)

Note: if this were a Sansui 9090DB will be easy to fix just replaced 2 resistor in an easy circuit to work (resistor out as $ 3 in Radioshack , the work is no more than 10 minutes), but i do not know as solve this problem in the Pioneer SX (it is not a friendly circuit ) and I prefer to leave the problem to the new owner .

Aren't the outputs made of unobtainium...    no longer available like the sx-1980

Aren't the outputs made of unobtainium...    no longer available like the sx-1980

There are several nice rebuild threads on other forums and I believe that one of the positives about the old Pioneer receivers is that there are substitutes that can be easily found for the various parts that are now obsolete.  Please keep in mind that leaky outputs are one possibility among the various stages I've detailed above.  I believe that there are substitutes for NEC 2sb706/2sd746 outputs used in the SX 1280 in the ad; however, the SX 1280 may be the most difficult to replace because of the mounting method.  I don't currently remember what the SX 1980 uses; however, it may just be an additional pair of the NEC.  

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

I wouldn't even turn it on... just take it directly to Paul79 (Many Moons audio)  

I don't always have great luck buying electronics on Ebay... much of it has been krap that I paid too much for.  

I was thinking that Paul79 could give a better description and view to what I was trying to describe. 

fwiw I just had my 1280 gone through by Save on Sound in Houston, Japanese guy that's been doing it for 40 years, it worked and was mint to begin with, he spent roughly 20hrs on it and the cost was nearly 500 bucks. The list of stuff he did was long as my arm, circle stereo in Austin keeps an ad on ebay for restoring the 1250/1280's, in his ad he lists everything he does, I printed it and brought it with me to Houston to show the guy, he does pretty much the exact same thing, check it out, its unreal what all they do. He now has my 1080 and after that I will bring him my 1250, all work and are in mint condition to start with, I would take a PROPERLY restored big Pioneer over anything that's out there new, mated with Klipsch Heritage I have found nothing that sounds better, maybe McIntosh...Roost

• Like 1