Need some Tube Guru advice!

jimjimbo

Hey guys, I will be attending a sale in my area that apparently has a rather large amount of vintage radios and tubes that will be available, as well as several what look to be fairly comprehensive tube testers.

I acknowledge that my question may be rather broad, but regardless, I am wondering if there are any particular highly desirable tubes I should keep an eye out for, and/or specific manufacturers that would be generally considered good quality.  Also would be great to know what to stay away from....

Unfortunately not able to assess anything or preview prior to the sale, so I'll be walking in relatively blind other than my own extremely limited knowledge and anything I receive here.  Any help at all is appreciated.

A few things to consider:  If the person was mostly into radios, and not audio equipment, it's unlikely that you will encounter any rare audio tubes.  It's more likely that you may come across some 6V6s, 6K6s, 6F6s, and so on, as these were used in the better quality radios.  In addition, since you will be buying tubes that are presumably untested and not guaranteed, spending more than a minimal amount (i.e. a dollar or two at most) for each would be a mistake.  Even tubes which look like pristine NOS may not be, may have open filaments, shorts, etc.  In the event that you are allowed to test the tubes on one of the testers you mentioned, keep in mind that the testers may be out of calibration and show tubes as being good when they are not.  At auctions, tubes are usually sold in box lots.  So, if you can pick one up for a few dollars, take the chance and post what you found.  Unfortunately, there are too many potentially useful audio type tubes to provide you with a comprehensive list.  Good luck, though! 

Maynard

A few things to consider:  If the person was mostly into radios, and not audio equipment, it's unlikely that you will encounter any rare audio tubes.  It's more likely that you may come across some 6V6s, 6K6s, 6F6s, and so on, as these were used in the better quality radios.  In addition, since you will be buying tubes that are presumably untested and not guaranteed, spending more than a minimal amount (i.e. a dollar or two at most) for each would be a mistake.  Even tubes which look like pristine NOS may not be, may have open filaments, shorts, etc.  In the event that you are allowed to test the tubes on one of the testers you mentioned, keep in mind that the testers may be out of calibration and show tubes as being good when they are not.  At auctions, tubes are usually sold in box lots.  So, if you can pick one up for a few dollars, take the chance and post what you found.  Unfortunately, there are too many potentially useful audio type tubes to provide you with a comprehensive list.  Good luck, though! 

Maynard

thanks very much, that is very helpful

I am wondering if there are any particular highly desirable tubes I should keep an eye out for

Fee Waybill is quite entertaining, and Roger Steen is a highly underrated guitarist. 

Quay Lewd!

sorry, but I don't get it, and honestly don't appreciate the BS....

I am wondering if there are any particular highly desirable tubes I should keep an eye out for

Fee Waybill is quite entertaining, and Roger Steen is a highly underrated guitarist. 

Quay Lewd!

sorry, but I don't get it, and honestly don't appreciate the BS....

yeah, i gathered that from your first post which is why i didn’t respond any further as i meant no offense. Fee Waybill and Roger Steen are members of the band The Tubes.  I don’t know if your BS comment is directed at me or Mike Stehr; so i’ll leave it at that.  So, if it’s me that you’re pissed off at--i apologize.

Edited by BigStewMan

Not necessarily pissed off, just annoyed.  And annoyed at the fact that it's not just my post, but many others, and particularly some folks that are new here and coming for advice, that find their threads filled up with random, useless crap that has no bearing on the original query.  Sorry if I sound cranky, but I am, because it seems to be getting worse.

Fair enough. I won’t add to your frustration by participating in any more of your posts.  This is a community and not strictly a technical forum. Many of us are friends and joke around as friends do.  Sorry you don’t feel the same way … or at least about me.  

Regards.

Edited by BigStewMan

Jim, NOS tube sellers will give you an idea of what to be on the lookout for.

http://www.nostubestore.com/

http://www.audiotubes.com/nos.htm

http://www.hitestguitars.com/

http://www.tubemonger.com/

I would thick if you had a fair idea on the preamplifier, drive tubes and rectifiers tubes used for audio amps and pre amps plus what the guitar boys like in their rigs too.

thank you Rick!

partial quick list of common sought after audio tubes

Output tubes

KT88, 6550, EL34, 6L6, EL84, 6BQ5, 7591, 7868, KT66, 2A3, 300B

Preamp small signal tubes

12AX7, 12AU7, 12AT7, 5751, 6201, 5814, 7247, 6DJ8, 6922, 7308, 6U8, 6GH8, 6BL8, 7199, 6SN7, 6SL7

Rectifiers

5AR4, 5U4, 5R4, GZ34, GZ32, GZ33, GZ37, 12X4, 6X4, EZ81

Maynard's advice is right on the money. If you see a lot of tubes with some of the above in it and you can get it cheap why not! But realize that most of them will be worthless.

Fair enough. I won’t add to your frustration by participating in any more of your posts.  This is a community and not strictly a technical forum. Many of us are friends and joke around as friends do.  Sorry you don’t feel the same way … or at least about me.  

Regards.

I'll do the same. My apologies.

Quay Lewd was a stage name that Fee Waybill used in the band The Tubes. I'm a Tubes fan, so when BigStewMan mentioned Fee Waybill I replied with his stage name. 

Whatever...you can do a Google search for "most desirable audio tubes" and get your answer...