K-Horn and La Scala with PSE-144 Horns

hulkss

That is crazy. Love the huge room. Is that a massive screen mounted in-between the windows?

Sweet chairs too!

Oh and the horns! they look like the Elliptical equivalent of a 402.  Really cool stuff

Edited by Max2

That's a 10 foot wide drop down screen and those are windows where you see reflections. The windows have three layer soundproof glass in them. The other "windows" are plugged with 2 layers of MDF with green glue damping adhesive between.

The seats are: http://www.hjellegjerde.com/comfortcollection/?menu=367&product=262

To me, the best part of the set up can be achieved with the stock factory horns. I removed all the X-overs and multi-amped everything with Audiolense from: http://www.juicehifi.com/index.html

The horns are a Danley Synergy type design sold as a DIY kit from Australia. I have a set of Danley horns in this room:

hornsfull.jpg

Edited by hulkss
  • Like 1

Who are you?

Claude J. I remembered the photo with the cat.

I downloaded your V3.0 plans, simulation and build images for your improved Lab Horns. I was going to build some a few years back but went a different route. I think we have the same front 3 channels, plus I have Danley's DTS-10's.

A big welcome to you, I'm a fan of your work.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

The horns are a Danley Synergy type design sold as a DIY kit from Australia. I have a set of Danley horns in this room:

So how do they compare the Paul's molded 144's? 

The midrange drivers on the PSE-144's cover a full two octaves 300-1200 hz which is more than the Danley TD-2's that I have can do. I really like the PSE-144's and they match perfectly to a K-Horn. I would need to set up the TD-2's in the same room for a comparison. The PSE-144 horns have much better pattern control at 300 HZ since they are quite a bit larger. The point source design really beats separately placed horns like the factory K-Horn. I did run my K-horns quite awhile tri-amped and that was pretty darn good compared to passive. The K-horns sound better with a 300 Hz XO, no more vocals coming from the bass horn.

Edited by hulkss
  • Like 1

So how do they compare the Paul's molded 144's? 

The midrange drivers on the PSE-144's cover a full two octaves 300-1200 hz which is more than the Danley TD-2's that I have can do. I really like the PSE-144's and they match perfectly to a K-Horn. I would need to set up the TD-2's in the same room for a comparison. The PSE-144 horns have much better pattern control at 300 HZ since they are quite a bit larger. The point source design really beats separately placed horns like the factory K-Horn. I did run my K-horns quite awhile tri-amped and that was pretty darn good compared to passive. The K-horns sound better with a 300 Hz XO, no more vocals coming from the bass horn.

could you just swap mid drivers in the TD-2's?