Help deciding an amp for my RF-7 HT

Jimm2

Im going back and forth and cant make up my mind which amp(s) to use for my HT build.  I listen to about 50/50 HT/Music.  I rarely will crank it up beyond 90 decibal, but I like having the extra head room.  And, I also like having reserve power in case I ever decide to change speakers, then I wont have to change amps.

I currently have the Klipsch RF7-II's as my fronts.  I still have yet to get the matching RC-64 II center and surrounds.  My system for now will only be a 5.1 since my family room isn't that big but opens to the kitchen and hallway. 

I just ordered the Marantz AV 7702 for the Preamp.  I read some amps sound better with the Klipsch than others.  So maybe some people has some experience they can share.  Krells and such are out of my budget.  I want to keep this under $2k.  I know a lot of people don't like Emotiva, but for the money I think they are hard to beat for dollar per watt. 

I actually have found a used McIntosh MC 7106 that I am interested in.  But Im a little worried spending $1500 for a used amp without a warranty.  And its probably about a 20 year old technology.  It has no XLR balance inputs (Which may not be a big deal).  Its 100 watts x 6, but can be bridged for 320 watts x 3, which is what I would do if I got it to power the LCR speakers.  Its a McIntosh, but I think its there low end amp.  New these sold for $4500 back in the 90's from what I have gathered.  I have always dreamed of having McIntosh, but the ones I like are way out of reality for my wallet.  So this is my list of choices.

(1) McIntosh MC 7106 (Bridged 320 x 2) Fronts and Center

Emotiva XPA-200  (150 Watts x 2) Surrounds   ...........Or ?

(($1900))

(2) Two Emotiva XPA-1L Monos (250 watt x 1 with 35 watt class A)  For Fronts.    ((( Class A Amps for stereo music )))

Emotiva XPA-3 (200 watts x 3)  For center and surrounds

(($1525))

(3) Emotiva XPR-5 (400 watts x 5)

(($1900))  

(3)  Emotiva XPA-2 ( 300 watts x 2 ) Fronts

Emotiva XPA-3 ( 200 watts x 2 ) Center and Surrounds

(($1300))

(4)  Emotiva XPA-5  ( 200 watts x 5 )

(($800))

(5) Outlaw 7500  ( 200 watts x 5 ) 

(($1600))

(6) Bryston 9B-ST PRO THX 5 Channel (125 watts x 5)

(($1600-$1500 Used))

Edited by Jimm2

But Im a little worried spending $1500 for a used amp without a warranty. 

I have owned over 30 used outboard amps since 2008 and of those 30 amps, only 5 of them have needed some sort of repair.  Of those 5 amps, I knew 2 of them had problems when I bought them  Total cost of all repairs is about $700.00.

With that said, I have never spent $1500.00 on any amps so I can't relate there.

Of the new amps you are considering, I would go for the Outlaw Audio 7500.

Bill 

I want to keep this under $2k.  I know a lot of people don't like Emotiva, but for the money I think they are hard to beat for dollar per watt. 

What is the point of buying something because it is the best deal but you end up not liking it?

Nothing wrong with Emotiva, it  is a nice product but you might just be getting what you paid for and not much more. 

You are well aware of what is available as well as your limitations. With that said and keeping in mind your price range,  check out the Marantz MM 8003.  A used one will sale for  a lot less  and leave plenty room  for future expension.

I have tried a lot of amps over the years ( yamaha, denon, Harman Kardon, Kenwood etc. ).  While it is matter of preference, I always liked the HK for music( warmer sound) and Marantz for movies.  

But Im a little worried spending $1500 for a used amp without a warranty. 

I have owned over 30 used outboard amps since 2008 and of those 30 amps, only 5 of them have needed some sort of repair.  Of those 5 amps, I knew 2 of them had problems when I bought them  Total cost of all repairs is about $700.00.

With that said, I have never spent $1500.00 on any amps so I can't relate there.

Of the new amps you are considering, I would go for the Outlaw Audio 7500.

Bill 

Yes I have read a review on the Outlaw and it seems to be a nice amp.  I have seen some bench test on some of the Emo's and they show some clipping in the upper mid frequency's.  And clipping of the waves will reduce details of that frequency.  But it was at a very narrow frequency.  But I know there is no such thing as a perfect amp.     

• Moderators

I'm with Bill. I've owned Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5), Acurus A200 (200 x 2), NAD 2700 (150 x 2), & Rotel RB-960BX (60 x 2) and B&K 200.7 (200 x 7). All rocked the RF-7, RF-7ii and RF-83 with ease. Only one amp had a hum (Parasound). Most I spent was $750

The Outlaw is going to be one of the quietest amps you can get even in the $3-5K range. If you're  looking at 200 watters, the noise floor should be a concern as you will get a hiss at idle.  Once you notice it you really pick up on it with pauses in the music content and its always there and can be pesky enough you may want to dump the new amp. The ATI and Outlaws are very, very similar, yet the Outlaw can be had at a better price. Both of these are the best multi channels you can get for the money IMO.

• Like 2

The Outlaw is going to be one of the quietest amps you can get even in the $3-5K range. If you're  looking at 200 watters, the noise floor should be a concern as you will get a hiss at idle.  Once you notice it you really pick up on it with pauses in the music content and its always there and can be pesky enough you may want to dump the new amp. The ATI and Outlaws are very, very similar, yet the Outlaw can be had at a better price. Both of these are the best multi channels you can get for the money IMO.

I have looked at the B stock of the ATI's.  The signature series are way on up there in price.  Do you think the Outlaw will have noise floor?  Isn't a lot of this caused from dirty power or bad wiring.  Like running signal wires next to the power cable? 

I have looked at the B stock of the ATI's.  The signature series are way on up there in price.  Do you think the Outlaw will have noise floor?  Isn't a lot of this caused from dirty power or bad wiring.  Like running signal wires next to the power cable? 

ATI, Outlaw, Anthem, Bryston and many others are all great amps on paper and have some of the best SNR ratios out there.   I find this more important than some here and I think is actually more important than THD numbers.  The RF's aren't quite as sensitive as some of the Heritage line where this really comes into play. If you ever step up to some LaScala's or K's or Belles which are a few db more sensitive it will be much more noticeable. There are high dollar tube amps that aren't as quiet and have higher THD numbers on paper, yet are more revealing, colorful and have a thick, wet sound that several people here swear by and will never go back to SS amps.  Low, low distortion Solid state amps use different approaches with negative feedback to get the low THD numbers and it can take away from the music sound leaving a sterile, thin and even gritty sound.  I think there are some bargains out there with these high powered multi channel amps, but some even though they are cheap purchased new sound it as well. Having said all this, I probably couldn't distinguish an EMO amp from a Bryston, Anthem, McIntosh, etc. without having quite a bit of seat time sampling them.  It may even be  very, very challenging after that with a true blindfold test.  There is a lot of smart people here that have a lot of experience with different amps, maybe more people will chime in. 

my vote would be the outlaw. i wanted to try one after having many me amps. only got hiss with one of them because of my speakers sensitivity.

also if you want tons of power for future you should look into d sonic amps. they can be configured to crazy high wattage per channel. and you can do much higher for front three channels and then less for back. really customizable. 

I concur with everyone to get the outlaw. Mine has been rock solid and dead quiet. It is the same as the ATI2005 model that sells for $2500. I bought mine used because it was only a year old and still under warranty. It has 2 huge Power supplies and has actually been benched at 235 wpc @8ohm. Nothing wrong with the XPA5, but it is nowhere near the specs of the Outlaw 7500.

• Like 2