New (old) Cornwalls found....tear in dust cap.

bert9576

I bought a set of Cornwall C-WO's from a buddy of mine for $400...they're in very good shape but one of the dust caps has a small tear in it (see pic). Am I correct in understanding this won't affect the music quality? Should I leave it alone or attempt to repair it?

The serial #'s are 11P-008 & 009 which, if I'm interpreting them right, means they were made in 1976?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

post-59338-0-02860000-1415674774_thumb.j

post-59338-0-73660000-1415674780_thumb.j

post-59338-0-89380000-1415674789_thumb.j

post-59338-0-28820000-1415674797_thumb.j

Guest Steven1963

Welcome to the forums.

I do not think it will affect the sound; there might be some vibration but I doubt you could hear it.  You can repair as stated above, IF you wish to do so.  You can replace the caps in the networks and improve the sound as the ones that are in there (if they are original) are worn out. You will notice more of a sonic improvement doing that than you would if you fixed the dust cap. You are correct, they were made in 1976. Grats on some very nice speakers at a steal of a price.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

It won't affect sound until dust gets in the voice coil...

Looks like a minor tear. Doubtful much/any dust would get in. He could smear a little clear silicone over it and that'll keep the dust out until he decides on a more permanent fix.   

• Like 2

It won't affect sound until dust gets in the voice coil...

Looks like a minor tear. Doubtful much/any dust would get in. He could smear a little clear silicone over it and that'll keep the dust out until he decides on a more permanent fix.   

You're right. It does look like a minor tear.

I would repair the crossover with new caps. Then just put some black silicone on the tear and smear it to make it look good and maybe do the other one same way so they look the same. Parts exspress has new dust covers you could glue over the smaller ones. They also have black stuff to cover your old tear in yours. In the future if you want you can get new cast frame woofers from Crites and sell the old ones to forum member that needs originals for a restoration. That's what I did with my K-horns cause I knew a lot of guys needed the originals and I wanted new ones. You can also get the caps from Bob Cites to rebuild them.   Rick

Mike, does the fabric glue work well?  Does it dry clear?

The flexibility of the glue when dried works well with speaker cone repairs. When dry, it's slightly tacky...it does dry clear, but will leave a darker spot where the repair was made.

(depending on how faded/dark the cone is...)

Edited by mike stehr

I would repair the crossover with new caps. Then just put some black silicone on the tear and smear it to make it look good and maybe do the other one same way so they look the same. Parts exspress has new dust covers you could glue over the smaller ones. They also have black stuff to cover your old tear in yours. In the future if you want you can get new cast frame woofers from Crites and sell the old ones to forum member that needs originals for a restoration. That's what I did with my K-horns cause I knew a lot of guys needed the originals and I wanted new ones. You can also get the caps from Bob Cites to rebuild them.   Rick

Thanks Rick...if I understand you correctly, the cast frame woofers are just basically newer models? Would there be a big improvement in the sound quality? 

Welcome to the forums.

I do not think it will affect the sound; there might be some vibration but I doubt you could hear it.  You can repair as stated above, IF you wish to do so.  You can replace the caps in the networks and improve the sound as the ones that are in there (if they are original) are worn out. You will notice more of a sonic improvement doing that than you would if you fixed the dust cap. You are correct, they were made in 1976. Grats on some very nice speakers at a steal of a price.

Thanks Steve! I was a little nervous when I bought them since I'm a neophyte, but I did a little research online (that's how I found this forum) and thought it a good price :) 

A couple of people have mentioned replacing the caps...do these typically go bad? Expensive to fix/replace?

don't worry about replacing the caps, just sit back and enjoy them for awhile. the biggest thing is to make sure that all drivers are working. pull the grills and stuff a towel in the midrange, ( to block it off ) put your ear up to the tweeter and see if its working. its the hardest of the 3 to hear. you should be able to hear the other 2 without any problem.

congrats. after i bought my first cornwalls i ended up with at least 8 pairs or more

Edited by Budman

don't worry about replacing the caps, just sit back and enjoy them for awhile. the biggest thing is to make sure that all drivers are working. pull the grills and stuff a towel in the midrange, ( to block it off ) put your ear up to the tweeter and see if its working. its the hardest of the 3 to hear. you should be able to hear the other 2 without any problem.

congrats. after i bought my first cornwalls i ended up with at least 8 pairs or more

Thanks Budman....I'll check this out as soon as I get home today.