Projector Suggestions (under $3000)

Youthman

I don't like the sub $2,500 stipulation.  :D  The only reason I say this is because I researched projectors a lot and feel like JVC is hands down the way to go but to get there you'll need $3000+ unless you can find a Youthman deal there in Florida somewhere. JVC makes an amazing projector. Nothing I have seen compares to them in 2d anywhere near their price range. As deep as you are into your theater room at this point, I'd either wait til you can swing a JVC or just dip into savings if you need to and make it happen. It's like the final stamp on the theater room and you should go all out on it IMO. LOL In all seriousness though, every JVC I have seen knocks your socks off. 

They can be had just at or around 2500 if you wait for a deal. Think I paid 2650 for mine. I would call Mike at avs 585-671-2968. See what kind of a deal they might have on some last year models or something. I think Michael got his even cheaper then me from Mike. I also did a ton reading and it all kept coming back to a jvc. Just won't find a better 2d light controlled room projector in that price range. 

This guy on avs Zombie10k does amazing side by side reviews Projector Mini-Shootout Thread 2013-2014. Plus a really nice guy. Send him a pm with a question and he will be sure to help. 

I'm sure Youthman will take donations if you want to assist in the purchase of a JVC... :)

If I had it like that right now I couldn't think of a nicer person to help out but unfortunately I have my own JVC projector fund that needs help LOL.
  • Like 2

Of each and every projector I have seen I personally am partial to the JVCs I have owned 2 and their black levels and 2d picture Quality are on par with the old Pioneer elite plasmas and Kuros. For your room Mike I would suggest trying to find a used JVC projector to me they are top notch and the best out there until you get into the next leagues with Sim2 etc. I also have been fairly impressed with Sony's projectors those would be my next suggestion can't wait for you to start your project and have your huge new screen up and running

• Moderators
I researched projectors a lot and feel like JVC is hands down the way to go but to get there you'll need $3000+ unless you can find a Youthman deal there in Florida somewhere.

What JVC model would you recommend?  Does bartering for a projector qualify for a "Youthman deal"?  :D

• Moderators
some say a bit better than the panny 8000 but no lens memory. So it was an easy no for me.

Yeah, I looked up the specs and it's only 100 lumens brighter than my panny, no lens memory and only manual zoom and focus.  Definitely not a good fit for my setup.  I'm checking to see what other options he has.

6-800 is what most projectors run in best mode. Like a cinema setting on the projector. A projector that can put out 2k isn't putting that out in watchable ht movie mode. Usually its for day time watching with the lights on. Or its great for 3d but other than that its not really used. So unless 3d is is a big need 2k would be the wrong stat to look for. I probably use half my projectors light output (around 600). On 3d I do switch it to high mode. But on 2d movies I bring it way down. Best picture is what I looked for. 

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head
  • Like 1

How do you like the 8000?

i told you i love mine. i have seen a nice calibrated jvc at a really high end build here in kansas city and while it "may" have had slightly better blacks i didn't see the price difference between them.

and i agree with ref on the fact about the lumen output. when i cal with lights off my lamp power is on eco and brightness and contrast are both way down. and when i turn on my lights, while the picture may be washed out, it is still easily visible. i can still watch a movie while i eat then after done eating lights go right back on and we are back in business.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
i told you i love mine. i have seen a nice calibrated jvc at a really high end build here in kansas city and while it "may" have had slightly better blacks i didn't see the price difference between them.

Man, I've slept since you told me that.  :lol:  My memory really is that bad.  :(

6-800 is what most projectors run in best mode.

I guess I didn't realize that.  I'm assuming it's somewhat similar to the whole RMS vs Peak rating.  Manufacturers boast peak power and I'm guessing projector manufacturers boast about max lumens?  I run my Panny on Eco mode.

Funny thing is my lamp warning just came on today at 2842 hrs.  I'll likely replace the bulb before selling the unit.

It can matter with 3d and a room with no light control. But in a dedicated light controlled room it would be just a stat to sell projectors like the amp example.   The new pannys are really nice (the old ones too). And like Scrappy said a little better might not be the better value. If one costs 2k and one costs 2500 is it 500 better? I think it almost has to be one the those two for the lens memory and price.

I chose jvc and Scrappy went with the panny. And we are both really happy. So I'm guessing you can't make a wrong choice. 

• Moderators
It can matter with 3d and a room with no light control.

I really have no desire for 3D and my room is light controlled with the exception of some light coming in from my sliding glass door.  Will eventually black it out entirely.

I think it almost has to be one the those two for the lens memory and price.

Agreed...I think those are the two options that I have.  I sent him an email to see if he has access to Panasonic or JVC.

I chose jvc and Scrappy went with the panny. And we are both really happy. So I'm guessing you can't make a wrong choice.

I would think so.  I'm definitely not even close to being anywhere near to a Videophile.  I have been very pleased with the performance of the Panny AE3000u and from what I've read, the 8000u is a significant improvement over the 3000u.