HDTracks experiences? FLAC or AIFF?

DizRotus

After successfully downloading and playing the free sampler in FLAC format, I purchased Time Out, but accidentally downloaded the AIFF version.  It will not play on my computer or phone.  Is it possible to convert the AIFF file to FLAC?  If so, how?

I notice the AIFF files are larger than FLAC counterparts.  What are the advantages of one format over the other?

I downloaded Foobar200 player on my Windows 7 computer.  It will now play the AIFF file.  

Is it possible to play AIFF files on an Android phone with the right player?  Can Foobar be used on Android?  I'm still curious about converting the AIFF files to FLAC.  Can someone suggest a reliable "free" conversion program that doesn't come with spyware and/or a bunch of annoying baggage?

I do all my conversions in Foobar2000. If it plays the AIFF files, it seems like it should be able to convert them. It will tell you to download the free FLAC frontend software it needs to do conversion to FLAC files. I convert dsp files to FLAC a lot.

What are the advantages of one format over the other?

Yes, the FLAC file will be smaller. AIFF is the raw redbook data, which you can burn direct to an audio CD-R and play.

AIFF< > FLAC is a very basic encode / decode. Any good FLAC encoder program will make short work of getting your file from one to the other. I use xACT for OSX. There are many others.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Not to start a WAR... but AIFFs are BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLAC uses an algorithm to pull the used bit out and place them back. An algorithm is a computer modeled guess... it is not bit for bit accurate.

Additionally, AIFFs do not need to be decoded (Processed ) in the same manner.

OK... I’m really not trying to piss anyone off.. but from my exp. AIFFs have proven a higher quality source. I have yet to wade into DSD.

• Like 1

OK... I’m really not trying to piss anyone off.. but from my exp. AIFFs have proven a higher quality source. I have yet to wade into DSD.

Justin, with the higher bit rate and sampling available today, I doubt that things are audibly different with AIFF and FLAC.  While DSD (Direct Stream Digital) originally was intended to make things sound better at home with 16 bit CD quality data..  It was largely replaced by 192 kHz 24 bit players that render DSD a death blow

In my digital collection I have even converted some of my FLAC collection to 320 bit mp3 which are 1/10 the size and makes it nice to put on a flash drive in the car.  They also leave more room on the main frame HD.  I keep the FlAC files on the WD Mybook HTC pc HD for permanent storage and playback.

Edited by derrickdj1

FLAC uses an algorithm to pull the used bit out and place them back. An algorithm is a computer modeled guess... it is not bit for bit accurate.

No, the compression process is like any other plain-jane lossless encoding. It is bit-for-bit because the location of every bit is never lost (hence loss-less).

Divide the PCM into registers, count the zeros (or ones if you prefer) in each register, keep tabs in a global list up front and then dump the data once it's accounted for. The list (which becomes discrete) and any truncated data are smaller than the original data. So long as the list remains intact, the truncated data can be re-populated at anytime. Just like a reservation list at a big event. The larger or more exotic the list, the higher the compression with the trade-off being processor consumption on the bookends. The "algorithm" that is referred to, is the instruction set that looks at the original file and determines the most space effective way to construct the registers.

Remind me again...this is 2014, right? Not 1989?  :ph34r:

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

You would think you should be able to download any file format any number of times after having purchased the license for that music. Makes no sense!

I don't think your purchasing the license to that music, just buying a copy. That's a whole other topic.