Fix Pioneer Elite M90 or get new Emotiva Amplifiers

jarrod2750

Emo makes great value amps, they're just geared toward the mainstream user whose speakers are 86db/w/m, and that's downhill with a tail wind.  The best Emo amp for Klipsch is their little X100, as it actually has a gain control.  If all one needs is the modest power it brings, it would be a fine amp, and decent value.

The problem is that when pairing high sensitivity speakers to high gain amps one is up close and personal with the whole GIGO thing.  It can work, provided the front end is squeaky clean.  Lots of folks here do so (use Emo that is, with pleasing results).

The only time I've heard Emo bagged on w/ a legitimate grype is when trying to employ them in fully active setups, where their outrageously high and fixed gain makes them inappropriate tools for the job.

Edited by Ski Bum

one amp per speaker and bi-amped seems contradictory.
One stereo amp per side, bi-amping the cabinet (lows/highs). I am assuming, of course, but that's how I read it.

I've also always liked the Parasound gear.

Bruce

Yep that's exactly my set up.  Sounds like I need to with better quality even if it means lower power since the epic's are 100db efficient.

If you are listening to the EMO guys, then you are taking teh advice of the low budget dudes...........no offense but these guys are not aimed at best sound...........money is their priority.

From a technical standpoint is you asked me to name one of the worst AMP / Klipsch combinations you could find out there..........Emotiva would be high on my list.........I simply agree with what's already been mentioned.

Way too high a gain for a very senstive speaker line up.

No gain controls. (OK..........I guess they have something small with gain control finally, but it looked to me to be low wattage and  "ganged" and no ability to balance the gain between channels........maybe I'm wrong on this point).  Maybe this is the

best for Klipsch from EMO???

Still, EMO is about cheap components.

Heck the guys who actually spend serious money to have their Klipsch actually be part of a REAL AUDIOPHILE system have no more place on this forum.  It makes me want to puke when I see the advice given here at times.

If you liike HISSSSSS............save your money and buy EMO.  :)

Sounds like I need to with better quality even if it means lower power

I find claims of sonic quality differences between linear ss amps to be highly suspect, and you should too.;)    

That being said, I personally would feel more comfortable buying something with the expectation it would a)do it's job impeccably, and b)last as long as the OP's old pioneer amps.  I would expect kit like a Parasound A23, or the ATI I suggested, each well heeled performers, to last a very long time.

With a $2K budget for 2 amps..........I would agree with above (Parasound), or even go over to Audiogon and look for something late model and used.  I never buy anything new.  The bargains are out there.  Usually, used stereo gear is not that used.  you amy find something that is a bargain over there, especially around now.

the guys who actually spend serious money to have their Klipsch actually be part of a REAL AUDIOPHILE system have no more place on this forum.  It makes me want to puke when I see the advice given here at times.

The OP is clearly on a budget, not spending serious money, and is not a delusional audiophile, so what's your point aside from insulting the entire forum?

Well it sounds like Emo must be low quality! Hmmm... I am quite happy with my XPA-5, no hiss and a much fuller sound than my Marantz 8500(top of the line for that year). I'm sure there is better out there but you may get to the point of diminishing returns with extra money spent.

I have been wanting to try parasound as well and finally took the plunge on their Z series for the bedroom. They suggest their Zcd with their Zamp so thats what I went with. I run it in a mono as they describe in their manual and I get a lot of noise. It turns out that it is isolated to the Zcd's variable anolog out and was present on two units ordered. Parasound had no cure for this issue. I used a 6db attenuator which makes it tolerable.

Good luck with your solution!

the guys who actually spend serious money to have their Klipsch actually be part of a REAL AUDIOPHILE system have no more place on this forum.  It makes me want to puke when I see the advice given here at times.

The OP is clearly on a budget, not spending serious money, and is not a delusional audiophile, so what's your point aside from insulting the entire forum?

Thanks for the post.  I was kind of confused by what I was reading.  By no means am I delusional audiophile.  Just an A/V enthusiast of 20+ years, who is looking to make an upgrade and wants to reach out to the community so I can make the most informed decision possible based on member's past and present experiences.....

• Like 2

I find claims of sonic quality differences between linear ss amps to be highly suspect, and you should too. ;)    

I hope that winking smiley face means you weren't serious with that statement.......

Shakey

I'm never serious, at least not too much.  No, I don't subscribe to some narrow "all amps sound the same" belief, but I do believe that linear ss amps operated within their limits generally do.  As is being opined on, it's the gain that is the issue w/ Emo amps.  Unlike Mark, I think there is enough wiggle room in passive speakers for Emo to work, if by narrow margins (see post #27).

Edited by Ski Bum

I  have 2 Emotiva XPA5's  that have been running for 6 years without hiss or glitches .They are running a THX Ultra2 System which aren't as efficient as most Klipsch. A Classe SSP300 is the Pre/Pro with that setup. I keep wanting to try the Emotiva's on the LaScala's I have or the MCM's to see what all the fuss is about but it's too much of a PIA to do it. I am fortunate enough to like these Amp's a lot and luckily everyone that has heard this Setup was uneducated enough to be impressed  :D at least until they hear the MCM's on K2's  :o

Edited by Gnote

I haven't owned any EMO units.  My beef goes back to when the company was new and some negative comunication I got from them on a suggestion that they had no gain controls.  This has been a long standing issue with me.  I actually was interested in EMO at first.  But figured it out technically pretty quickly.  Not a good match for Klipsch.

I'm sorry there are a few guys who use EMO stuff and might feel insulted.  It's not an insult.  It's simple technical facts that the specs of the equipment are a mismatch for Klipsch.  I never said the equipment sounded bad, just noisy.  Hey, if it sounds good to you, then be happy.

I have heard EMO units.  Only once with Klipsch and there was a lot of hiss.

As for insulting the entire forum.........quite an exaggeration, not my intention, but simply speaking the truth.  Hopefully, anyone whose been around here and understands the transitions this forum has gone through.......Knows I am only speaking the absolute truth.

Where is the "audiophile electronics" sub-forum?  Really no need for that these days.

This forum is NOW about how cheap you can build a stereo system.  That is what it has gravitated to.  Someone new shows up and gets advice from a pure $ standpoint instead of a technical standpoint and why one amp is better than another and works well with Klipsch.......what you should be looking for.

I recommend the OP go to another forum specializing in audio electronics and see what they say about the recommendations made here.

I don't know who to quote but I just want to ask. Can't the gain of an Emotiva amp be turned down with a little hot rodding? It is a feedback amplifier isn't it? So change the feedback. After all aren't gain controls on power amps just really volume controls that attenuate the amount of input signal allowed to go through the amp?

Mark

I am not insulted and will guarantee you know more than I do ! 

It is very possible the Emo's are no good for most Klipsch or very efficient speakers as I have not tried.

I just wanted to let the OP know that $4$ (I know I know) that the Emotiva may be a viable solution and that I really like mine.

Heck for 2 Channel as soon as I can find out where JimJimbo lives, I'm going to "borrow" his Stereo15,  that amp switched my thinking.I never had any interest in Tubes before I heard it. Show's how much I have to learn !

There are some great people on this forum some very knowledgeable and some like me don't know squat . I will agree there is some bad advice given out here from time to time but rarely with malice, mostly just trying too hard to help and luckily there are enough knowledgeable members to reign that in. I don't post much because I would rather keep my mouth shut and let people think I am stupid. Rather than open my mouth and prove it !

A great community to be a part of none the less!

Edited by Gnote

I don't know who to quote but I just want to ask. Can't the gain of an Emotiva amp be turned down with a little hot rodding? It is a feedback amplifier isn't it? So change the feedback. After all aren't gain controls on power amps just really volume controls that attenuate the amount of input signal allowed to go through the amp?

Yes, you should be able to do that.  EMO has a passive volume control (ganged though) that you can insert in line.  Better than nothing.

Now don't forget............you could also use "chip amps" too..........Those are even lower cost and have been increasing in power output as the new ones come out.  Some have the gain controls............and they sound clean until they don't.  :)

Now seriously..........just as a real life example (not that anyone cares.........but it's mine)........I have some McIntosh MC-250s.  I find them used on Ebay or elsewhere for about $400 - $500..........then.........send them out for complete rebuild of low level power supply and audio path, gold RCA onnectors, new terminal strips, new power cord, cleaning..........which costs about another $350 (if you know where to go).

They come back with a clean bill of health, looking like new, and all have exceeded 70 wpc on the data sheets that come back with them.  These are 50 watt amps.

So, for under $800 you could have a nice stereo McIntosh from the 70s, rebuilt to last............and I promise sounds great with all the Klipsch speakers I have heard them on.  I have 3 MC-250s, and 2 MC-2100s.

Other long time forum members have turned me on to this..........I didn't just figure it out.

It took a few years to accumulate them, but they are a great group of very tube sounding early generation solid state amps with a clean sound.........and they even have gain controls. :)

So just an example of what you can do with used equipment and not break the bank.