90 year old arrested for feedling homeless people!

tube fanatic

Unfortunately these laws and the arrests that follow are increasing the last several years across the country. I applaud those who are willing to stand up to this time of abuse.  It used to be that we could do whatever wasn't illegal. Now we seem to need permission or permits for everything.  Generally, these arrests stem from lack of permits.  The permits are expensive on a daily basis and only exist to deter the activity in the first place. Kudos to all who stand up.  If we can't as a country feed people, then we as a people must. I am the CEO of a nonprofit that runs a shelter and we will be feeding many today.  You would be amazed how many have come to the shelter in recent days looking for a turkey or other items for thanksgiving. Nearly all are working people-though in jobs that can't support a decent lifestyle.  Remember that 20% of children in America go hungry every day.

Thanks for sharing the video. 

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

The politicians are out of control and their protectors (law enforcement) seem willing to do whatever they are told.  I, for one, could not and would not enforce a statute of this sort.  But apparently others are willing.  

• Like 2

I have been involved in helping the homeless and needy for about a decade now. I won't go into great detail, because that would sound like boasting.

The way I see it, political leaders are backed into a corner. What do they do? Thinks about it...

Also, the government cannot feed the people. They have admitted that. They rely on institutions like this to fill in the gaps.

It is a catch 22.

• Like 2

Volunteer for 30 years, seen some things i have, Last gig a few years back, Electrical work, south Sac, two hummers in the driveway, ya know, i think im done.

A lot of people playin the system.

When i show up at a house and they are driving better cars/trucks than me, FK this.

Nothing wrong with making a difference in this world, just make sure you giving yourself to a worthy cause.

Party on :emotion-21:  

• Like 1

Volunteer for 30 years, seen some things i have, Last gig a few years back, Electrical work, south Sac, two hummers in the driveway, ya know, i think im done.

A lot of people playin the system.

When i show up at a house and they are driving better cars/trucks than me, FK this.

Nothing wrong with making a difference in this world, just make sure you giving yourself to a worthy cause.

Party on :emotion-21:  

Yes, some people at every level game the system. The poor however pale in comparison to the rich at this game.

• Like 2

NIMBY

Stands for Not In My Back Yard.

That is the fundamental reason for laws like this.  Most people feel bad for the less fortunate, and definitely feel like something should be done to help them, just not in their back yards.

You cannot recall a person who was elected by NIMBY's.

I have spoken to many groups about this, and I always go back to the same thing. It is a quote from a minister here in town who said these words to me in a casual conversation. 

There have always been poor people.

There will always be poor people.

It is our job to take care of them.

I do not give money to the people on the corner, because I know all of them in this area, and they do indeed spend that on alcohol and drugs. Instead I help feed them. One thing most of them need, especially this time of year, is boots or warm shoes. It is expensive, and there are many who take advantage of programs, and that's why they wear rags on their feet. Look down the next time you see somebody who is needy. As bad as they may look, their shoes will look worse.

There are lots of things I can say, and the things I just said aren't the most important to me, but it gives you a little insight. 

My primary reason in getting deeply involved with the needy was that I was very uneasy around them. I am not at all any more. I would like more people to get to this point. People still wouldn't want it in their back yard, but they would see these folks as people just like they are. Many are addicts or alcoholics. Much of the time it is because they are mentally ill, and they self-medicate. Some are just too simple to take care of themselves, and some are geniuses. One thing they all have in common. They appreciate a good meal and a safe place to sit and eat it.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

NIMBY

Stands for Not In My Back Yard.

That is the fundamental reason for laws like this.  Most people feel bad for the less fortunate, and definitely feel like something should be done to help them, just not in their back yards.

You cannot recall a person who was elected by NIMBY's.

I have spoken to many groups about this, and I always go back to the same thing. It is a quote from a minister here in town who said these words to me in a casual conversation. 

There have always been poor people.

There will always be poor people.

It is our job to take care of them.

I do not give money to the people on the corner, because I know all of them in this area, and they do indeed spend that on alcohol and drugs. Instead I help feed them. One thing most of them need, especially this time of year, is boots or warm shoes. It is expensive, and there are many who take advantage of programs, and that's why they wear rags on their feet. Look down the next time you see somebody who is needy. As bad as they may look, their shoes will look worse.

There are lots of things I can say, and the things I just said aren't the most important to me, but it gives you a little insight. 

My primary reason in getting deeply involved with the needy was that I was very uneasy around them. I am not at all any more. I would like more people to get to this point. People still wouldn't want it in their back yard, but they would see these folks as people just like they are. Many are addicts or alcoholics. Much of the time it is because they are mentally ill, and they self-medicate. Some are just too simple to take care of themselves, and some are geniuses. One thing they all have in common. They appreciate a good meal and a safe place to sit and eat it.

Good point.  It's a very good practice to avoid giving money to panhandlers.  You are correct, nearly all of that money goes to drugs and alcohol.  There are exceptions and I know of some good ones, but as a rule you are correct.  I did once run into a guy who had gotten a job and left our shelter. He was panhandling in front of a Walmart on a Saturday.  I stopped and got out to express my disappointment that he had lost his job.  He actually pointed out that he still had the job, but that this was his "weekend" job and that he made more money doing it, than at the packing house job he had taken.  Hard to argue with that logic-but I still disapprove of panhandling for the reasons previously mentioned.

• Like 1

The politicians are out of control and their protectors (law enforcement) seem willing to do whatever they are told. I, for one, could not and would not enforce a statute of this sort. But apparently others are willing.

Reading this post and the one about the woman being shot reminds me of a police state and 2nd Amendment of our Constitution Dec of 1791.

My primary reason in getting deeply involved with the needy was that I was very uneasy around them.
I can fully understand this. While visiting in China and the Philippines with my wife, I was way out of my comfort zone. It made helped me be more comfortable with poorer/less fortunate back here. Treating everyone with respect helps.

Bruce

My primary reason in getting deeply involved with the needy was that I was very uneasy around them.
I can fully understand this. While visiting in China and the Philippines with my wife, I was way out of my comfort zone. It made helped me be more comfortable with poorer/less fortunate back here. Treating everyone with respect helps.

Bruce

I understand that as well.  I spent a few years working in a county homeless prevention office. SO many people in need. On the opening night of one of the emergency shelters, i was doing fine until i saw a man with his daughter (approx 6, 7, or 8 years old) waiting in line to enter the shelter.  Tore me up.  My car costs what a house does in some parts of the country, and my house in full of luxuries (many guitars, a dozen Klipsch speakers, big tv, etc.. i feel guilty some times and need to continually remind myself how blessed I remain.

Just remember that if you do give to a charity, be sure to ask how much of the (money( actually goes to the intended recipient. I've seen these professional fund raisers leave the charity nearly high and dry.

seem to recall hearing once that a charity shouldn’t have more than 10% administrative cost.  You’d be surprised to see how high of a percentage some claim to need to “administer” their programs.

i’d suggest giving them the world’s supply of liver and cottage cheese; but, that would be adding insult to injury I guess.  

I got a better idea. Quit turning perfectly good corn into gas and burning it. I understand green, but there are better things to do than burn food when people are starving all over the world.

One of the dumbest bone-headedness moves our fed gov't has ever done.  Find one mechanic who likes the stuff. Not including mechanics who make money fixing all the stuff ethanol brakes.  :)

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1