Klipsch Reference 2 - 2015 models ?

expresso

Hi everyone -  i been a Klipsch Fan for over 30 years - ever since a friend made me hear a pair of KG 4's -  i was hooked -  

I am curious if anyone here knows about any upcoming NEW models which would replace the current RF 82 II - etc, -    i own the RF 82 -  not the II model -  and also an old pair of KG 3 - with upgraded crossovers and Tweeter   

i am interested in the RF 62 II model - which would have worked out better in my current apt. -  and a friend is interested in them also -   i notice most Klipsch models last about 4 years and then get an upgrade of some sort -    i dont know if this is a FACT and will happen - i am looking at the Klipsch site and if you follow the years made and ended -   most of them change after 4 years -  

that would mean the RF II line would be up for a change in 2015 ?   would anyone know if this is True and Klipsch may be coming out with a new upgraded speaker which replace the RF II line ?

i would hate to purchase the RF II line of speakers and then a new line comes out which i may like instead - or  lose out on the older lines which should reduce in price if a new line came out -

i may be able to the ger the RF 62 II for a good price if a new line came out -    i would love to see a Mid horn added to the RF II line  if they make a change -  would be nice i think and i would maybe get rid of my RF 82 for them -  or even for the 62 line which i think would be better balanced for my space -    i love the 82,s   but they were hard to tame on the low end in my space -  and had to adjust them - move them - add some wall treatment and bass blockers -   and finally - i added the Aphex Exciter to my Rack -  and that unit - made wonders  -  a friend did the same thing and loves his also -   he also has the RF 82,s  after hearing mines - he followed and got the same -

so bottom line - i feel like i dont want to make a move to purchase anything anytime soon -  feeling as if they will do some kind of upgrade in 2015 -    would anyone know any FACTS -  or heard anything about any new line or upgrade ?

Nice - Cant wait -  i would love to get a nice 3 way horn setup on a new model -   nothing crazy - just simple but sweet :)   i am thinking of downsizing to a 62 size speaker -  that would have worked much better for me -   i am happy with my 82.s  but i think the 62.s    are right there -  sweet spot - balanced - with highs and lows -       i would love a nice mid horn in the mix -  and for the record -  i was expected them to be very bright on the top end -  and  for me -  it was not bright at all -

maybe because of my space - i am not able to sit them out in the room much -  i have a a good foot and half away from wall - one side is on the corner which was a big problem with the bottom end -    its fine now after working at it - 

but i felt i need to bring those highs out -   i believe the II models  do a better job at that -  with the xover points better  - mines xover at 2000 i think -     if i had the proper space for them -  they would have been better out of the box -

also someone else i read who got the RF 7 model - originals -    with those things - you need ROOM - space to ajust them right and then a AMP to bang them out :)    to me - nothing sounds good till you add a decent power amp - 

they sound good but can really get much more out of them with an amp -  the more wattage you get - the better -  you dont have to use it all -  :)

I really hope its something NEW -  and not just a make over like they did with the lower end line from Best buy stores -    all they did is change the color to copper and called it Reference line !!! -   i went to see them at best buy and they do feel cheaper - the cones -   tweeter horn etc, -  compared to the Reference II line  -  which were called Reference to begin with -   i was confused when i see the new Reference line and noticed they were the lower end - 

i mean its good for some who shop at Best buy etc, - and if funds are limited -  - i see too many different names and limited edition with different model numbers but the same speakers -   i guess you can fool some people who dont know about the Real Reference line of Klipsch -   

i cant wait to see them - hear them -  if  you can a place to even hear them -  i was not able to find any in NYC ??    only place was J and R musci world and they are gone now -    no one seems to carry any Klipsch but the lower end models -

cross my fingers - excited :)

Nice - Cant wait -  i would love to get a nice 3 way horn setup on a new model -   nothing crazy - just simple but sweet   

Who needs a 3-way when you(I) have RF-63's. ;)  :D 

Seriously, an "affordable" 3-way Klipsch Reference would be great.

Bill 

i was not able to find any in NYC ??    only place was J and R musci world and they are gone now -    no one seems to carry any Klipsch but the lower end models -

There is a place on Long Island that sells all older Klipsch Lines and others as well as todays models. I got his number directly from Klipsch. They told me he is the closest place they know of that does the older/high end lines of  Klipsch Lines.

yeah - i bet those 63's sound nice -   i heard the 83's  for a short moment at J and R  - impressed -  i didnt have the room then and dont know -  i think even the 82,s  i went over board -   knowing now -  the 62 II   - that line is right on the money with balance sound - size etc

anyway that done now - 

i hope something like the older models with a Mid Horn - make it a nice 3 way - nothing too huge or small - now that would be something new finally

i am in NYC -  Manhattan -   not really looking to travel for the speakers -  as i once used to do -  i mean if you cant get Klipsch speakers in Manhattan -

you would think you can get anything here -  till you look for something and cant find :)    we have high end stores here -  but they are over the top some of them -  and dont consider Klipsch high end -     they cater to Rich which means WAY overpriced speakeres - cables etc, - 

all i am able to find around here are the lower end models -  Cant even find the Reference II models which i have -    so what ever i buy - its usually on the blind -  i have to just believe that it will be good with out hearing them -      which when i went to hear the 82,s  at J and R -  really cant decided based on that either -  they actually sounded like crap -   i knew there so no way they would sound bad in my place -  i never returned them thats for sure  -     a friend of mines got a pair of POLKS at the time-   he was impressed with all the drivers etc,  and took them home -  hooked it up -  and didnt like them -  he liked my 82.s  much better -   he returned them and got Klipsch -   since then -  i had him hooked -  he also got a pair of Fortes II - 

just would be nice to have a place in the City to hear these speakers before buying on line -  who wants to deal with returns ???    at least you can see them in person

nice -  i managed to keep my KG 3.2 - upgraded the xovers and tweeters - sounds sweet -  i run that off my GX5 amp  -   and have the RF 82 full 5.1 setup -    i just use a morgan logan sub -  sealed -  i got a great deal on it at the time  -  i use it for movies -     i run my 82,s direct -   2 channel -

after  finally trying so many different things - to tame them -   i came across  a signal processor - called Aphex Exciter -    and it was the best thing i used

its simple - not like a EQ - dosnt add any noise and just minor adjustments to tame the low end - tighten it up and bring out those highs -   i will miss them if i ever upgrade -  but after some time -  i get the itch to change -   too bad i just cant keep them all -  wish i had the room - 

i have to get rid of something in order to get something new -  -  and i find it very hard to get rid of the KG 3.2 -   i know they are not the high end of there line but its for sure an overlooked model which sounds great -   i use that for jazz music -  and some older stuff which for some reason sound great on that speaker -    the 82,s  its different all together and sometimes the same music can actually sound better on the KG - the 82,s are deep overwelming on certain material -  

Nice - Cant wait -  i would love to get a nice 3 way horn setup on a new model -   nothing crazy - just simple but sweet :)   i am thinking of downsizing to a 62 size speaker -  that would have worked much better for me -   i am happy with my 82.s  but i think the 62.s    are right there -  sweet spot - balanced - with highs and lows -       i would love a nice mid horn in the mix -  and for the record -  i was expected them to be very bright on the top end -  and  for me -  it was not bright at all -

maybe because of my space - i am not able to sit them out in the room much -  i have a a good foot and half away from wall - one side is on the corner which was a big problem with the bottom end -    its fine now after working at it - 

but i felt i need to bring those highs out -   i believe the II models  do a better job at that -  with the xover points better  - mines xover at 2000 i think -     if i had the proper space for them -  they would have been better out of the box -

also someone else i read who got the RF 7 model - originals -    with those things - you need ROOM - space to ajust them right and then a AMP to bang them out :)    to me - nothing sounds good till you add a decent power amp - 

they sound good but can really get much more out of them with an amp -  the more wattage you get - the better -  you dont have to use it all -  :)

Expresso: you might want to place the RF5 or RF5 ll at the very top of your audition list. You don't see a lot come up and for good reason. The RF5 uses the same horn as the RF7/RF7 ll and the speaker is a very domestic size. With horns size really does matter more horns is not the answer you don't want a smaller three way with a smaller mid horn than what you already have now with your RF82. See if you can locate a set of RF5 and go have a test drive. I expect that you will be very pleased with what you hear. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

yeah who can afford those things -    would love them if i could -    but the RF 5II -   what models is that one - i mean those are the older models ?

they dont make them now -  i believed the RF 82 and 82II were the upgrade of that one -  i didnt know those had the same tweeter as the RF 7 - 

really i dont need anything but you know how it is after some time - you want to see new models and try them out etc, -  thats how i ended up with the 82,s  i had the KG 3 for so long -  i didnt have the room  for other models  at the time and they sound very good to me - 

once i got the room - i figure i try something new and ended up with the 82,s   but  kept the KG also - i just cant seem to get rid of those - 

i actually got my 82,s pretty much dialed in nicely with the Exciter - helped alot -  along with room treatments etc,   but the exciter did alot to tame the bottom end and adjust the top end -     what i love about it is -  its easy to make changes -  unlike a EQ -  which takes much more time adjusting etc,  i found myself always touching it - and never satisfied for long -    

now i can really hear the horns with Jazz Sax - Classical -  its in your face -  just the way i like it -   its not overly bright at all -  at least i dont feel so -

depending on material of course -   for the most part its great -  every now and then - you get a song which is not balanced -  

i dont think that can be helped with any system -   today with padora - usb files - CDS - etc, - how the albums are mixed and mastered -  varies so much

looking over the specs on the RF 5 from Klipsch site -   close in specs to the RF 82  but the xover is at 2500 -   with one port in the rear and the tweeter is one inch -   i belive the RF 7 uses a 1.75 inch tweeter - 

i always get confused with the xover points -    now i am under the impression that the higher xover would be better for the bottom end before sending it to the tweeter - 

the newer RF II models all have a lower xover which i think will be better balanced and give the tweeter upper range more sooner which in turn makes the bottom end more balance to the top -   or a little brighter on top  - which is fine with me - 

i felt the 82 i have were on the warmer side  -  and more bottom end then top -   but that could also be because of my space - i cant really  put them 2 or 3 feet from the wall -  i am tight for space so did the best i can - and made it work with the rest of the tweaking  -   where i feel the 62 II models would have been much better sounding - balanced right out of the box with out much work  -  the xover there is about 1500 -  which would give me more top end 

i could be wrong here -  this is my understanding -  which i get confused sometimes -  :)

i always get confused with the xover points -    now i am under the impression that the higher xover would be better for the bottom end before sending it to the tweeter - 

the newer RF II models all have a lower xover which i think will be better balanced and give the tweeter upper range more sooner which in turn makes the bottom end more balance to the top -   or a little brighter on top  - which is fine with me - 

i felt the 82 i have were on the warmer side  -  and more bottom end then top -   but that could also be because of my space - i cant really  put them 2 or 3 feet from the wall -  i am tight for space so did the best i can - and made it work with the rest of the tweaking  -   where i feel the 62 II models would have been much better sounding - balanced right out of the box with out much work  -  the xover there is about 1500 -  which would give me more top end 

i could be wrong here -  this is my understanding -  which i get confused sometimes -  :)

At least in my opinion, a lower crossover point is better, assuming your high frequency driver can handle it.  It usually sounds more smooth and natural.  Cymbals, female voices, the high pitched snap of the skin on kick drums, acoustic guitars, etc., all sound better with as much as possible coming through horns.  Once again, my opinion.  I think music sounds more like a pro audio live setup and more exciting like this.  You're largely limited by potential damage to the high frequency driver, go too low and the thing will get fried.  I'm finishing up a SEOS project where the compression driver is crossed over as low as 950 hz.  Looking forward to hearing it.  Speech and acoustic guitar should be killer.  

If you get into ribbon tweeters sometimes you can cross over even lower.  Those sound amazing on music.  A piezo under-bridge pickup on an acoustic guitar on these sounds really sweet.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

At least in my opinion, a lower crossover point is better, assuming your high frequency driver can handle it.  It usually sounds more smooth and natural.  Cymbals, female voices, the high pitched snap of the skin on kick drums, acoustic guitars, etc., all sound better with as much as possible coming through horns.  Once again, my opinion.  I think music sounds more like a pro audio live setup and more exciting like this.  You're largely limited by potential damage to the high frequency driver, go too low and the thing will get fried.  I'm finishing up a SEOS project where the compression driver is crossed over as low as 950 hz.  Looking forward to hearing it.  Speech and acoustic guitar should be killer.  

If you get into ribbon tweeters sometimes you can cross over even lower.  Those sound amazing on music.  A piezo under-bridge pickup on an acoustic guitar on these sounds really sweet.  

ok so i am correct then that the lower crossover would send more infomation up to the tweeter etc, ?   my 82's are at 2000 -- the newer models are at 1500 or 1400   -  not sure which one is the 82''s or 62's -    i believe those would give off more detail on top and less bottom end  which would sound move LIve in your face and balanced - as compared to mines with are at 2000

now i looked up the specs on the RF 5 which everyone says is better etc, -  and i notice the horn is larger -  i like it -   but i see the crossover on that model is at 2500 -  so that throws me off now -   if thats a higher crossover -  how does it sound so much better on the top end  - from what everyone who has them say - i never heard them  -   i feel like the 82's are more tamed on the top end - 

Rf-5 has different tweeter but same size horn.

Crossover higher means woofers are doing more work amd tweeter is doing less. If they cross lower woofers,do less and tweeter does more. Usually the lower the better. But it really just depends. My speakers cross over at 800. But mine have dual 15's and a 3" tweeter. Much different than an rf-82.

ok so i am correct then that the lower crossover would send more infomation up to the tweeter etc, ?   my 82's are at 2000 -- the newer models are at 1500 or 1400   -  not sure which one is the 82''s or 62's -    i believe those would give off more detail on top and less bottom end  which would sound move LIve in your face and balanced - as compared to mines with are at 2000

Less bottom end in general, no, less bottom end in terms of specifically talking about the tweeter? I guess, if you want to word it that way. :)

It's just a matter of which frequencies get sent to the woofer vs. the tweeter. The less high end work the woofer has to do, usually the better.

now i looked up the specs on the RF 5 which everyone says is better etc, -  and i notice the horn is larger -  i like it -   but i see the crossover on that model is at 2500 -  so that throws me off now -   if thats a higher crossover -  how does it sound so much better on the top end  - from what everyone who has them say - i never heard them  -   i feel like the 82's are more tamed on the top end - 

It's an ear thing really.  The other big thing with the RF-5's is they were made in the U.S. instead of overseas.

On the topic of ear things, I've picked my RF-3 II's over even the RF-82's before.  It's not to say the 3's are better speakers, it's just that's what my ears heard and preferred.

I too chose to sell my RF-82s in favor of my older RF-35s.

If there's one thing I've learned this past year, it's that specs mean diddly squat. Especially anything related to wattage and power handling.

When potential buyers contact me and then retract, saying "oh nevermind, I need a speaker with more watts.".... it's so wrong on so many levels that I just let them continue their quest for Cerwin-Vegas(with Bose cubes for surrounds) :-D

And, fwiw, I don't think I've ever heard anybody say that the RF-82 is better than the RF-5.