Heritage series for medium room

vtpalmer

OP mentioned that he has had KGs in the past.  No one has recommended any KG speaker as a possibility.  Would really like to understand the experience/differences that lean recommendations away from them as a possible solution.  Something about the sound (I have a couple of 4.2s.  Do all the KGs have a "common" sound, despite the version) that rules them out?

Thanks for the input.

Small??? Lol. 20x18 is in fact a pretty huge room. I'd go with three heresey for LCR. LCR is the only way to go for movie setup. How far are you from Kansas City? More than welcome to come to my place. I have Cornwalls setup in my living room right now and cinema gear in the basement.

If 20x18 is the size of the room and THEN it opens to a kitchen or other room(s) don't forget that even though in your mind it's the living room, the speaker will see the entire open space, including the other rooms.

If you have corners, you'd be surprised at how space efficient Khorns are compared to the net infringement to the floor that something as small as a Heritage or Cornwall might have.  For keeping things tidy, I'd put the design of the Khorns above just about any other speaker made. <---(period)!

If you don't have the corners (or budget) then you have to start making other considerations.

Khorns in front (if possible), LaScala for center (if possible) and you can go smaller for the rears.....Cornwall or (in my opinion) last choice, Heresy.  I'd probably try to stop at Cornwall.

Klipsch Plank Meister; you asked me about my budget it's fairly low. If I sale my Reference fronts and put a little cash with them

I should have around $700. I'm leaning toward either 2 Quartets, with a Hersey II (center) or two fortes' with a quartet center or Hersey center. I do have a good sub, in MHO. I need a small footprint because of the cosmetics, and wife approval. She would life for me to go with bookshelf size. But I like my high quality sound.

My first stab at a HT system was 16 or so years ago and included KLF 30's as the main speakers in corners. They seemed to blend in the room and not intrude. I'd think the same could be true for large Heritage speakers, depending on room configuration. If not, then maybe 4 Heresys, a decent center and a small sub would help with the WAF. My 2 channel system, in another house, now has a pair of Cornwalls in a room smaller than yours!

• Like 1

I had KG3.2 in my office and loved them

Yup, I was using a pair of KG4.2s in my home office, too, until I recently acquired a pair of KLF-10s.  I love (present tense) the sound of my KGs, but maybe it is because I do not know all that I am supposed to, or something.  

• Like 1

Yup, I was using a pair of KG4.2s in my home office, too, until I recently acquired a pair of KLF-10s.  I love (present tense) the sound of my KGs, but maybe it is because I do not know all that I am supposed to, or something.  

I have 3 pair of the KG series speakers in my living room, 2 pair KG4, one pair KG3.2, in a 6.1 surround setup. Paid aprox $100-150 per pair.

Heresys would sound better, but one pair of Heresy would cost as much or more than all my KGs.

The KG speakers sound fantastic for the money. As always, there is something better.

• Like 1

My 2 channel system, in another house, now has a pair of Cornwalls in a room smaller than yours!

Indeed.  My room is also smaller and I've got two Jubilee's and one LaScala "in" the room while I have another two LaScalas buried in the back wall (in the closet under the stairs) and....  am jostling with the wife about adding the two Danley DTS-10's 'in' the room (verses hidden behind a wall)

I've built balance beam walking paths to get through the room..... ;)

• Like 1

I have 3 pair of the KG series speakers in my living room, 2 pair KG4, one pair KG3.2, in a 6.1 surround setup. Paid aprox $100-150 per pair.

Heresys would sound better, but one pair of Heresy would cost as much or more than all my KGs.

The KG speakers sound fantastic for the money. As always, there is something better.

Yes, Tromprof, not that the KGs are the only answer, or even the "right" answer.  The good news is that if one is patient and reasonably open, some wonderful answers will present themselves (especially in the "previously-enjoyed" category), at very agreeable prices, too!

• Like 1

I have a pair of KG 2.2 is my office, with my turntable and iMac for albums and recording. Sometimes I think they sound a little too bright (harsh) with my 2 channel 4 ohm Denon amp/pre amp. I have never heard the KG 3's or 4's. In my living room I currently have RF 25's and RC 25 for my fronts. BTW thanks to every one who commented and gav input! I've relly enjoyed everyone's feedback. Probably have to wait until tax time but I have some ideas I'm going to be looking out for some deals.

Maybe when I'm 60 I'll live in a larger house, have to wait for my daughter to buy the house we currently own. We live in a rent house in another town, just moved back to MO. Anyway maybe by 60 I can buy me some Klipschorns and have a pretty sweet home theater room! Lol along with the 1977 string ray corvette I've been wanting for 37 years!

Maybe when I'm 60 I'll live in a larger house, have to wait for my daughter to buy the house we currently own. We live in a rent house in another town, just moved back to MO. Anyway maybe by 60 I can buy me some Klipschorns and have a pretty sweet home theater room! Lol along with the 1977 string ray corvette I've been wanting for 37 years!

VT, welcome back to MO (am a little bit west of STL, myself).  Anyway, have no idea if anything like this (below) might be of interest to you, but if you may be in the mood for just a little drive in the country (no affiliation) . . . .

http://springfield.craigslist.org/ele/4791290093.html

Thanks for the listing, but I think I'm going to hold out and look for some Quartets, or Forte's and a Heresy for center. I think a Heresy would be great center, since it will fit perfect in my cabinet, it's sensitivity and fequency would make a great center.

Thanks for the listing, but I think I'm going to hold out and look for some Quartets, or Forte's and a Heresy for center. I think a Heresy would be great center, since it will fit perfect in my cabinet, it's sensitivity and fequency would make a great center.

That will sound awesome.  Next, start saving for a good sub.

• Like 1

Buy two sets of heresys. Run 3 in front and have a spare (or sell it). That will voice match perfect. Using speakers from other lines won't be as good. It won't be as seamless like 3 of the same speaker would be. Cost would be about the same as well. Not that you won't like the fortes with heresys. But from experience 3 matching is the best way when at all possible.

• Like 1

• Moderators
But from experience 3 matching is the best way when at all possible.

I always thought that statement was a little exaggerated until I went that route for my setup.  Now I could not agree more.  Absolutely seamless front sound stage.  Can't wait to get mine behind the new 150" AT Screen.