I need a new TV

T2K

Plasma in your lifetime is like your dad coming home with an Edsel.

Everyone knows what a 100watt light is, now just throw in 14 more, yes your average PLASMA is 1500 watts.

When your PLASMA breaks down, power supply is the norm, $600 bucks, deal with it.

My trade before i retired, was dealing with this chit, i come to a forum with life long learned advice, i, as you have PAID the price also.

I junked $100K systems consisting of PLASMA displays for company's throughout America.

PLASMA = Chit.

:huh:

Plasma is where it's at for affordable high-quality picture (uniform deep blacks and color accuracy).  LEDs just don't compare and OLEDs are not affordable.

• Like 1

you can always tell the pioneers .... they're the ones with the arrows in their backs.  if you are still shopping, put me in the camp to buy a cheap plasma while they are still out there.  they won't be available next year and by the time you really need something better the prices of the next gen stuff will have come way down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 60" M-series Vizio. I haven't tried any calibration or other video adjustments yet but the 'Calibrated' video setting looks pretty good. The audio is surprisingly good. There are 2 speakers on the rear of the TV. This thing has plenty of volume and an audio equalizer and also 5 pre-set audio modes. So far so good.

Keith

PLASMA =the Chit.

I've had my KURO for about 7 years and just recently had it recalibrated.  It veered only slightly in color over the years.  The guy that calibrated it does calibration for theaters and movie honchos.  He said the KURO plasmas PQ is superior to anything out there today even though they haven't been made in several years.  He also said OLED will surpass it one day but they're not close to being mainstream yet.  He travels with about 40-50K in calibration equipment and wouldn't own anything but a plasma.

• Like 1

Be careful of "Smart TV's."

A lawsuit has just been filed against LG. Their smart TV's are sending data back to South Korea HQ about the shows you watch, the time you view, what you access by app, and who knows what else. TV's with a camera (ostensibly for video discussion such as Skype) can be activated without your knowledge.

Just sayin'

Edited by eth2

PLASMA =the Chit.

I've had my KURO for about 7 years and just recently had it recalibrated.  It veered only slightly in color over the years.  The guy that calibrated it does calibration for theaters and movie honchos.  He said the KURO plasmas PQ is superior to anything out there today even though they haven't been made in several years.  He also said OLED will surpass it one day but they're not close to being mainstream yet.  He travels with about 40-50K in calibration equipment and wouldn't own anything but a plasma.

Dont get me wrong, if ya own one, run that puppy in the ground, or sell it wile it's still worth something, i just talked to a Bud in the northwest service center and he just got done with classes on LED and OLED repair, he said when he went back to his company after 3weeks training, all of the Plasma Tech equipment is wrapped up on the shipping dock going to Korea. 

PLASMA =the Chit.

My Kuro was the best palsma i ever owned.  Dnice bought it from me when he did a calibration on my Panny plasma.

I own three Vizios and my newest Sharp 70". All are LED except for one Vizio plasma. The plasma suffered from cheeeeeep power supply caps that would have been covered under warranty (extended by Vizio) but I elected to source and replace myself at a cost of $10. If, as stated, you want decent but not cutting edge, I recommend the Vizio. My issue with new ones of all brands is the inability to get new "dumb" television. With my Oppo (smart), Apple TV (smart), etc. they are redundant.

I was late to the party on the Kuro and couldn't find one.

Bright room: LED. Dark room:plasma is my opinion unless you are going dedicated movie room with projector.

Edited by USNRET

I hate giving these guys money but for the price it was too good to pass up. 60" LG plasma 1080p for 598.00 Excellent picture

http://www.walmart.com/ip/28419220?www=true&productRedirect=true

Some reviews

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/28419220/lg-60-60pn5000-1080p-600hz-plasma-hdtv-reviews/reviews.htm

Edited by Anotherforumname

My Kuro was the best palsma i ever owned.  Dnice bought it from me when he did a calibration on my Panny plasma.

Dwayne is a good dude and knows his stuff . He calibrated my Kuro back in 2010 when it was only 18 months old . Now almost 4.5 years later it still looks fantastic and has no issues . I do have an identical donor in case something besides the panel fails . 

Have 2 plasmas. I've owned a Samsung plasma that sucked, and a Sony XBR4 that was fantastic - sold it when I bought my KURO. Still haven't scene a TV with a better picture than the KURO. I know OLED will surpas it one day, when it does hopefully it'll be affordable.