I need a new TV

T2K

My 8 year old Sony LCD has problems so it is time to buy a new TV. I need a 55 incher, 60" tops. I'm not interested in buying the best display ever made. I'm over that. I just want a decent TV with a decent picture to watch Alabama beat Mizzou tomorrow and broadcast HD after that. I watch a movie from time to time but that's it.

After a little www research I'm thinking about buying a 55" Vizio E-Series. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding what to look for in a TV appreciated.

Keith

The 55" I really like is this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-5-8-diag--oled-curved-1080p-smart-3d-hdtv-black/7846019.p?id=1219295374459&skuId=7846019&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7846019&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!83478471671!g!!49385275271&kpid=7846019&k_clickid=2b3f0a22-3d5b-b389-52aa-00002fe97ece&kpid=7846019&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=2b3f0a22-3d5b-b389-52aa-00002fe97ece&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=3261&ksdevice=c&gclid=CjwKEAiAzIWkBRDO5LDEn8G1nAUSJADnHq_5qv4BF5GImGadEuofBMOYYkV7K_EcnMkyYKdKdoDGFRoC_1bw_wcB

Otherwise, yeah, go pick one out at the store. Only thing that sucks about that is that they're usually not calibrated at all. Visio has come a long way, their new 4K looks surprisingly nice... at least on still images. As soon as stuff starts moving you can tell the difference between it and the big boys.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

This topic came out just in time for you:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154089-bought-a-new-55-led-curved-4k-samsung/#entry1807853

+++

Most of us are happy to spend your money, but for a TV it really does come down to what you want.  For me, I am holding out for the new 4K TV's.  I understand the current 4K's are about to become obsolete.  That being said, I like to buy cheap and get something new every 4 years, rather than buy expensive and keep it for 10 years.

I don't want to pay for features I don't like and won't use, which includes curved and 3D.  My Blu-ray has the "smart TV" features that I want, so I don't care about that feature in a TV.  I want a great picture, and the crappiest audio (so I don't pay for TV audio) because I already know my TV is going to be hooked up to a good AVR and speakers.

I know my needs (wants!) are different from everybody else.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

I also have a Vizio 55" 3d smart tv. You can definitely see the blacks and greys not being that crisp at all times, but it is also not a bad tv.it beats the one I replaced which was a 61 inch Sony rear projection that I had since 1997 up until a year ago. Even my 9 year old son said at the time dad we need a new TV.

• Moderators

Samsungs have always received great reviews but they tend to be more pricey than the lower end brands (although that is expected).  For football, I believe you would want to look at 120Hz refresh rate to help reduce motion blur.

• Like 1

T2K,

"I just want a decent TV with a decent picture to watch Alabama beat Mizzou . . . "

Don't want to distract from the question you asked, however, re the above:

• Probably will happen
  • Should be a wonderful game

​Have been an Alabama fan since the mid-60s (even out in CA, where the then PAC-10 was all they knew.  Had no idea about "the Bear" and what houndstooth looked like).  My roots all in SC, GA, VA.  So, is really hard for me as I always root for the SEC team(s) that might have legitimate national or top-10 aspirations.  When Mizzou is playing one of them (I have been in the St. Louis area for 40 years, and I must say that it is a wonderful place to live), it is a real struggle, esp as Mizzou is now SEC Eastern Division (champ, again).

So, the more SEC teams at the top, the better I like it!

This topic came out just in time for you:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/154089-bought-a-new-55-led-curved-4k-samsung/#entry1807853

+++

Most of us are happy to spend your money, but for a TV it really does come down to what you want.  For me, I am holding out for the new 4K TV's.  I understand the current 4K's are about to become obsolete.  That being said, I like to buy cheap and get something new every 4 years, rather than buy expensive and keep it for 10 years.

I don't want to pay for features I don't like and won't use, which includes curved and 3D.  My Blu-ray has the "smart TV" features that I want, so I don't care about that feature in a TV.  I want a great picture, and the crappiest audio (so I don't pay for TV audio) because I already know my TV is going to be hooked up to a good AVR and speakers.

I know my needs (wants!) are different from everybody else.

The thread you linked was posted after mine. But thanks for your input, your wants sound much like mine.

I bought a $3500 Sony XBR in the early-mid 1990's. I really enjoyed that TV. After about 8 years I paid $600 to have it repaired and watched it another 4 years or so. Bought another Sony to replace the XBR and now it needs replacement. I no longer feel the need to have the latest greatest TV made, I simply want a decent display to primarily watch mundane TV and an occasional non-BR movie. Like you I use my Klipsch speakers for sound and I don't care about 4K right now. I rather buy an acceptable monitor and replace it when necessary (4K).

Here are some links that I read:

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/52-59-inches/

calibration : http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-619740/vizio-e550i-b2-and-e420i-b0-picture-settings/

Keith

I agree with Youthman and Minermark. Samsungs are hard to beat and definitely 120Hz or better.

I do have 3 TCL's that were very inexpensive and have not disappointed one bit. One is almost 3 years old and the other 2 are almost 2 years old and not one problem with any of them.

I don't know about their smart TV's because I don't use one , I always run a HTPC in front of everything.

Have a SMARTV & Smart Blu ray; if you get 2 different brands; you'll have Different Apps. Of Panasonic, Samsung, & LG, I've found Panasonic has the best Apps.

Also found Panasonic has the best picture; but, don't think you can go wrong.

Mine is a 60" Plasma 3D; I think if you want Plasma, Samsung is your only currently made option.

I've had 2 x 3D TVs; if I had it to do over, I'd opt for a larger size over 3D, which is fun, for short periods of time.

Panasonic & LG have both bought back TVs that went bad; much to my advantage in both cases.

Go Tigers!

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 1

Plasma in your lifetime is like your dad coming home with an Edsel.

Everyone knows what a 100watt light is, now just throw in 14 more, yes your average PLASMA is 1500 watts.

When your PLASMA breaks down, power supply is the norm, $600 bucks, deal with it.

My trade before i retired, was dealing with this chit, i come to a forum with life long learned advice, i, as you have PAID the price also.

I junked $100K systems consisting of PLASMA displays for company's throughout America.

PLASMA = Chit.

Plasma in your lifetime is like your dad coming home with an Edsel.

Everyone knows what a 100watt light is, now just throw in 14 more, yes your average PLASMA is 1500 watts.

When your PLASMA breaks down, power supply is the norm, $600 bucks, deal with it.

My trade before i retired, was dealing with this chit, i come to a forum with life long learned advice, i, as you have PAID the price also.

I junked $100K systems consisting of PLASMA displays for company's throughout America.

PLASMA = Chit.

Agreed. I have a B&O plasma that is currently not hung  I will sell cheap!   All 100+ lbs of it

• Like 1

I've had a Samsung plasma and a Samsung LED crap out on me. I am now using a Sony LED and it is hands down the best TV I have ever owned. I used to preach Plasma until I got a calibrated LED...

the Plasma would heat my room during the winter though, that was nice.

• Like 1