Sub won't turn off when A/V receiver is turned off?

NEVRL8

I have a Klipsch R-10SW sub. It is connected to a Pionneer Elite VSX-80 with one sub cable from the "sub 1" output to the "LFE" input of the sub. I have the sub set to "auto on" and the 0/180 phase set to 0. The LED light on the front stays on continuously, even after 20 minutes of everything else being off. I have to unplug it to get it to turn off. Any suggestions?

Edited by NEVRL8

does the receiver have an outlet in the back of it? If so,try plugging it in there.If not,it may be the sub that has an issue with detecting it. If you have a power conditioner,you can always turn that block of it off.

Just leave the sub on all the time unless you are going out of town for the week. As far as using an accessory outlet on the back of an avr or amp, that is not the best option.  Subs should have there own outlet.  A BDP or phono unit is OK for that type of application.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have a Klipsch R-10SW sub. It is connected to a Pionneer Elite VSX-80 with one sub cable from the "sub 1" output to the "LFE" input of the sub. I have the sub set to "auto on" and the 0/180 phase set to 0. The LED light on the front stays on continuously, even after 20 minutes of everything else being off. I have to unplug it to get it to turn off. Any suggestions?

It's doing exactly what the manual says it will. 

From owner's manual:

Off/Auto/On – When this switch is in the “ON/AUTO” position, the
subwoofer will automatically turn “on” when it senses a signal. It will
automatically go into “standby mode” after 15-20 minutes with no
signal. When this switch is in the “OFF” position, the subwoofer will
remain “off” until the switch is manually turned back to the “ON/
AUTO” position. 

Doesn't look to me like it will power down automatically. 

HTH,

Mark

I wonder if a Y splitter would help the sub turn off.  They are cheap and worth a try.  Connecting a splitter will make the sub see the signal easier.

Or you can just turn the signal up coming out of the receiver (and turn the amp gain down).

It's doing exactly what the manual says it will. 

From owner's manual:

Off/Auto/On – When this switch is in the “ON/AUTO” position, the
subwoofer will automatically turn “on” when it senses a signal. It will
automatically go into “standby mode” after 15-20 minutes with no
signal. When this switch is in the “OFF” position, the subwoofer will
remain “off” until the switch is manually turned back to the “ON/
AUTO” position. 

Doesn't look to me like it will power down automatically. 

HTH,

Mark

Guess it depends on what the definition of "Standby" is. OP I am curious please try this: Get sub up and running, then turn off your receiver like you normally do, then unplug the signal input to the sub. Does it then turn off (go into standby) after 15 or 20 minutes?

Edited by babadono

If you really want it and anything else powered down, a smart outlet strip would do the trick. Plug your AVR or whatever your prime device is into the sense receptacle and sub and whatever else into the controlled receptacles and they will only be powered when the prime device is on. Current draw threshold is adjustable for the sense receptacle. I use one for AV and another for the computer and its attendant wall warts and I really like them. Amazon.com: Smart Strip 4941 Energy Saving Surge Protector with Autoswitching Technology, 7-Outlet: Electronics

Thanks to everyone that replied. I tried to disconnect the signal input from the back of the sub and waited 1 hour after turning

everything off. The green LED light stayed on. It was my understanding from talking to a Klipsch Rep. that the LED should either

go out or turn red when in stand by mode? I guess not? As long as it's not hurting anything or shortening the life of the sub, I

don't care if the LED is on or not. I just thought it would be drawing more power if it was on rather than in stand by mode even

if no signal was being sent? Thanks again for your responses.

Edited by NEVRL8

• 5 years later...

I had the same problem.

To solve the problem;

I bought a high quality Subwoofer cable. (Very important)

I plugged in my Subwoofer to a separate outlet other  than my other appliances.

Set Gain and Hz to medium range values.

Now my Sub works fine, green light going on and off properly, just as described in the User’s Manual.

• 2 years later...