Help with new Klipsch Heresy III s

Analog 2000

Hello,

I am new to the forum, I've spent the past 6 months lurking on this and other audio forums as I put my dream system together, so thank you guys for the advise and tips. Now I have a question/ problem. 

Backround/ system information:

I'm running a fairly simple 2 channel  vinyl set up.

Source: stock Technics 1200 mk 2 with Denon Dl-110 Cartridge 

Preamp: Mcintosh mx-110 Z purchased refurbished from audio classics

Amp:Mcintosh MC-275 Mk IV purchased from audio classics

Monitors: Heresy III speakers purchased from retailer in Pasadena

Problem:

When I switched from the dynaco pre-amp I had been using to the mx-110 I noticed that I was not getting the full range of information from my left channel. (on jazz I could not hear the high hat cymbals, alto sax was muffled, generaly laking high end sound above 10k hertz) I determined this by listening to each channel when trying to balance the amp. Listening was done using the "L&R to L" and "L &R to R" respectively. At first I thought I was having a problem with my pre-amp or amp. However, when I left every thing in the chain and switched the speakers only I continued to have the problem.

I'm a smart guy, and my speakers are new but this doesn't make any sense to me. Is there any way I could have damaged the speakers? What is my next step, return them to the retailer? File a warranty claim? 

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Analog 2000
  • Like 2

Input device, contoller, amplification, output device... looks normal to me.

Nothing simple about that.

If the symptom didnt change sides, its the pre or amp... if it changed sides, its the speakers. As the speakers are new, they are under warranty.

Its a possibility a connection is loose internally, or a damaged/out of spec driver, or perhaps a bad crossover.

Edited by Schu

Thank you for the welcomes and quick responses.

I should have been more clear, when  say I swapped the speakers, I swapped them left and right, leaving the speaker cable in place and then swapping the the cables as well. The problem moved with the speaker. 

So what now, send it to Klipsch? Is there something simple I could be missing?

Thanks,

Chris

PS

Trying to upload photos of the simple spectrum analyzer app I used on my phone to help diagnose the problem

Edited by Analog 2000

Yes, the speakers worked fine with the Dynaco preamp or the the problem was to subtle to hear with the Dynaco preamp. I discovered the issue when I was attempting to balance the MX-110 and using the "L & R to L" and "L & R to R" functions. Most telling was that the problem followed the speakers when I swapped them with each other. However just to verify I reinstalled the Dynaco preamp and used the balance control, and while I feel this is not as scientific as the"L & R to L" and "L & R to R" functions used on the Mcintosh, I did notice a diminished response in the high end.

The speakers sound pretty damn good when played in stereo, but I do notice a lack stereo imaging with higher notes, IE high hat cymbals only sound like they are coming from one speaker, certain horns ect. Its subtle but its there, and Im a perfectionist.

Schu,

Im running a 12 ga speaker wire to the HF terminals on each speaker and using the metal jumpers that were included with said speakers to jumper to the LF terminals

jjptkd,

I had pulled the grill and attempted to listen to both horns, but couldn't hear them over the 10" cone, Now that I think about it though, I can pull the metal jumpers and use your sock trick to isolate the problem. I will try this and update you guys with what I discover.

And yes I believe the retailer was an authorized Klipsch retailer, I will double check though

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum.

Ok, it's late & way past my bed time but here's a couple of things to think of.

Possibly the brass z shaped connectors on the back of the HIIIs have a plastic cover that wasn't removed.

And what happened to me (a few years ago) when I was stripping some new speaker wires I was sure I had gotten all the plastic off but NO there was a very thin layer still covering it I was getting intermiten sound problems just like your describing.

Ben

The Heresy III crossover network is mounted directly to the inside of the speaker wire terminal cup, screwed onto four plastic pegs. If the shipping box was set down hard, the styro packing would protect the speaker, but the small plastic pegs may have sheared, allowing the somewhat heavy crossover to yank on the wires, possibly disconnecting it from the tweeter. I would ask the repair center to remove the six screws holding the speaker terminal cup and look there first.

post-58241-0-41200000-1418635819_thumb.j

I too had a bad H3 tweeter diaphragm on a set of new H3. (the cabinets on two sets of H3 also had dry joints on front and rear baffles which I had to repair Klipsch would not help me. Have bought a lot of Bob Crites ti diaphragms all perfect not one issue and I know Bob and Michael are there for me the day I need them. I would buy Bob's ti diaphragm over a Klipsch unit, it is my go to unit. Best regards Moray James.

I guess the next step would be to remove the tweeter that isn't working and at low volume connect the speaker wire directly to the tweeter to see if you get sound. When you remove the tweeter you'll be insuring the connection from the crossover is / was good and whether the diaphragm in the tweeter is bad. If the tweeter works by itself and the connection was good when you removed it from the cabinet then the problem lies in the crossover. I'd put money on the diaphragm being bad though as others have stated.

Edited by jjptkd

Ok,

The tweeter in the speaker in question seems as though it is not operating. I will contact the retailer tomorrow and proceed as they advise.

Thank you guys it feels really good to have nailed down the specific problem. 

-Chris

It may be a simple loose connection on one of the speakers. It has happened before. If it is under warranty, give Klipsch a call.

Agreed, Call klipsch and they will send you a new tweeter no charge.

Visited the retailer today, I have to say excellent customer service, pulled the tweeter out of my speaker, tested it with a "AAA" battery. Confirmed it was bad. Replaced it with the tweeter from another speaker on the floor and installed it while I waited. The speakers are the only thing I've purchased from them, going to go out of my way to do business with them again.

Edited by Analog 2000
  • Like 1

Visited the retailer today, I have to say excellent customer service, pulled the tweeter out of my speaker, tested it with a "AAA" battery. Confirmed it was bad. Replaced it with the tweeter from another speaker on the floor and installed it while I waited. The speakers are the only thing I've purchased from them, going to go out of my way to do business with them again.

Great to hear they took care of you :).