Need direction for HT heavy WAF

rockhound

• Moderators
don't you pick and choose what to quote . so out of context.

It was your first line, it was a question I asked, not to make it sound any other way than what you said.

Here is the rest, excluding about a sub,  is it really "so out of context", he said in his original post he was keeping the Heresy's. (I agree about the in walls) 

"

I would probably go with the RB-81 II setup sans sub or at least RB-81 II's, RC-62 II and like RB-52 II or RB-42 II for surrounds if you want to cut cost some.  I would think this would be pretty WAF and its easier to install and more versatile than in-wall IMO.  You got a big *** room so bigger speakers are going to help.  You can also do in-walls for surround duty which in most cases are extremely capable IMO, hell i have them in my ceiling and ive been extremely pleased with them.

You can keep the heresy's if she'll tolerate them and they would cater best to your size room because of their larger driver size.  I had a pair and they had a great sonic sound and a big sound.  Problem would be matching a center that sounds good with them."

I was not trying to pick a fight, it would have been obvious I am not a subtle person, it's why I have to be careful what I say, it's not always nice to just say what your thinking.  (so I am told, repeatedly for the last 40 years ) 

That first line just stuck out to me, it's why I asked the question, it really doesn't matter it's all opinions, you have to realize and I have NO WAF to ever have to deal with, she loves huge speakers as long as they sound great. We only go by sound, looks are a very distant second so I never judge any speaker by looks. It is why I asked that question, I couldn't imagine any speaker you listed even coming close to a Heresy or filling that size room. We have some RB-75's here and there pretty good but I would never expect them to be mains in a room that size, Heresy's would be a big stretch. imo

• Like 1

Have a phantom center with the heresys as your center channel as well.

i currently do this, with perfectly adequate results. In fact, I would ditch my surrounds if I hadn't already cut the holes in the wall for them. I'm finding more often than not that 2.1 is suitable for most movies. 

I use cornwalls as a phantom and heresys in back. It works so much better than what a lesser center would be inbetween cornwalls imo. Anyone with limits on what center they can fit or afford. Should really give a phantom a try. 

• Moderators
Cinema_head, on 18 Dec 2014 - 5:37 PM, said:

Thaddeus Smith, on 18 Dec 2014 - 2:11 PM, said:

Cinema_head, on 18 Dec 2014 - 2:03 PM, said: Have a phantom center with the heresys as your center channel as well.

i currently do this, with perfectly adequate results. In fact, I would ditch my surrounds if I hadn't already cut the holes in the wall for them. I'm finding more often than not that 2.1 is suitable for most movies. 

I use cornwalls as a phantom and heresys in back. It works so much better than what a lesser center would be inbetween cornwalls imo. Anyone with limits on what center they can fit or afford. Should really give a phantom a try. 

I agree, that's exactly what I was thinking for him, a little extra toe in usually helps. The easiest way to position the mains for this is playing in stereo adjust the mains until the sound is dead center, go from there. The same as 2 Ch and much better than many center channels, especially if it's not as good as the mains.  

• Moderators
CECAA850, on 18 Dec 2014 - 5:38 PM, said: It'll also beat the table tuba by an octave or so all while taking up zero floor space.

Or beat almost anything else . And that room looks perfect for a IB, looks similar to your ceiling.

Edited by dtel

My suggestions would be thus;

1) Consider picking up two more pair of used Heresies and running 5 of them total, this is cost effective and will sound better than ANY of the new Klipsch surround sound systems.

2) Heresies NEED a sub, can you swing a table Tuba horn sub with your master?? (Couldn't help myself, I have a wife and don't need or ask permission!)

Roger

+1 on this, I was thinking the exact same thing, table tuba with legs and a fake drawer. with a doily and a lamp.

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to post and offer up opinions besides a few smart a##es they are all very helpful.  After reading it sounds like everyone is pointing the same direction in keeping the H2's for mains. I would prefer not to cut into the walls and wot not anyway since we will be selling this house once my son leaves the nest. Although I would like to have another set of H2's as surrounds I would rather hang something up out of the way...any recommendations on rear surrounds that I can hang that will match the H2's up front? I also considered going up in size just a little in front and buying a set of Quartets or KG's with an Academy center????

Sub - I would love to do a table tuba I hear good things about these and it could take the place of my nightstand in the corner, the other option would be getting a smaller sub (Sunfire junior or something) and putting it inside of my entertainment center that middle door is interchangeable with a "Felt" peace just for this.

Edited by rockhound
  • Like 1

the other option would be getting a smaller sub (Sunfire junior or something) and putting it inside of my entertainment center that middle door is interchangeable with a "Felt" peace just for this.

I think I'd pass on that idea.  If you're going small, you want your sub close to a corner if possible.

• Like 1

If you can keep your Heresey's, then quite honestly you can have about whatever mains you want as they have a pretty decent footprint, others are just taller. Biggest question is the subs. You could easily squeeze in a couple of custom 18's without having big ugly boxes.

Do you actually use your media cabinet or does it just store junk? You could replace that with a custom sub cabinet. Also you could put a couple of sealed 18's in a shallow box behind the recliners. You could also replace that end table with the lamp on top with a custom sub box in the corner.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Looking again at your pics, your room is virtually identical to mine.  An IB would work great there.  All you'd see would be about a 20" square of grill cloth up high over the TV.  You could make the grill cloth any color you wanted and leave it there when you move.  Mine are exposed and I still have to point them out to people, they're like deer and never look up.

med_gallery_13087_2_1260839.jpg

Instead of 4 across like mine, you could make a manifold with 2 or 4 drivers that fire into a 18" square opening covered by grill cloth.  The drivers mount to a cube in the attic with the room side of the cube open to the room.

Looks like I need to research more but to be honest this may be above me skill level and I wouldn't know who in Arkansas could build this or has a setup like this that I could listen to.

don't you pick and choose what to quote . so out of context.

It was your first line, it was a question I asked, not to make it sound any other way than what you said.

Here is the rest, excluding about a sub,  is it really "so out of context", he said in his original post he was keeping the Heresy's. (I agree about the in walls) 

"

I would probably go with the RB-81 II setup sans sub or at least RB-81 II's, RC-62 II and like RB-52 II or RB-42 II for surrounds if you want to cut cost some.  I would think this would be pretty WAF and its easier to install and more versatile than in-wall IMO.  You got a big *** room so bigger speakers are going to help.  You can also do in-walls for surround duty which in most cases are extremely capable IMO, hell i have them in my ceiling and ive been extremely pleased with them.

You can keep the heresy's if she'll tolerate them and they would cater best to your size room because of their larger driver size.  I had a pair and they had a great sonic sound and a big sound.  Problem would be matching a center that sounds good with them."

I was not trying to pick a fight, it would have been obvious I am not a subtle person, it's why I have to be careful what I say, it's not always nice to just say what your thinking.  (so I am told, repeatedly for the last 40 years ) 

That first line just stuck out to me, it's why I asked the question, it really doesn't matter it's all opinions, you have to realize and I have NO WAF to ever have to deal with, she loves huge speakers as long as they sound great. We only go by sound, looks are a very distant second so I never judge any speaker by looks. It is why I asked that question, I couldn't imagine any speaker you listed even coming close to a Heresy or filling that size room. We have some RB-75's here and there pretty good but I would never expect them to be mains in a room that size, Heresy's would be a big stretch. imo

im just giving you a hard time :)  tis the season to be merry and to give a little back :)

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to post and offer up opinions besides a few smart a##es they are all very helpful.  After reading it sounds like everyone is pointing the same direction in keeping the H2's for mains. I would prefer not to cut into the walls and wot not anyway since we will be selling this house once my son leaves the nest. Although I would like to have another set of H2's as surrounds I would rather hang something up out of the way...any recommendations on rear surrounds that I can hang that will match the H2's up front? I also considered going up in size just a little in front and buying a set of Quartets or KG's with an Academy center????

Sub - I would love to do a table tuba I hear good things about these and it could take the place of my nightstand in the corner, the other option would be getting a smaller sub (Sunfire junior or something) and putting it inside of my entertainment center that middle door is interchangeable with a "Felt" peace just for this.

The quartets are excellent speakers.  I like them 10 times more than the heresys.  They have a great bass foundation and really arent much bigger than the heresys but maintain that heritage type feel.  The quartets are less warm than the heresys are but have that very open mid and high range like the heresy.  I would, in a heartbeat buy another set of them.  When get extra cash I am going to keep an eye out for some newer Forte's because they are supposed to be quartets on crack in a little bit bigger enclosures.

I will say this, Klipsch's 3-way designs, from what I have auditioned all sound wonderful.  I know that their 2 way and 3 way designs essentially accomplish the same goal but their 3-way designs are much more lively sounding.  if they made a 3-way out of the rf-7's they would have a real beast on their hands.  I know its a little off topic but worth saying.

I also considered going up in size just a little in front and buying a set of Quartets or KG's with an Academy center????

I don't have first-hand experience with KG's or Quartets but I do have Forte II's and they provide lots of bass and I doubt you'd need a sub with them. Their size is perfect IMO.  A pair in Walnut would look great in your room.

I also considered going up in size just a little in front and buying a set of Quartets or KG's with an Academy center????

I don't have first-hand experience with KG's or Quartets but I do have Forte II's and they provide lots of bass and I doubt you'd need a sub with them. Their size is perfect IMO.  A pair in Walnut would look great in your room.

For music no. For HT, a sub is a must.

• Moderators
Wives come and go - Great HT rooms are for life. :o

Wow.....I've been incredibly blessed to be married to the most amazing woman for the past 18 years and have 4 incredible children together.  For us, divorce isn't an option....period.  ;)