Dual Subwoofer hum with splitter

Mudkicker

I have two Velodyne subs. My Marantz receiver only has one sub out. When I put a splitter in order to connect both subs, I get a significant hum from both subs. Even if I turn one of them off, the hum remains in the one that is on. Obviously the splitter at the Marantz sub out is the issue. Is there any way around this?

This will save you a lot of time and trouble.  I use something similar.  This one is expensive, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

This may come off as a stupid question but the second splitter you tried, was it the exact same brand and model of splitter?

Both splitters that I have tried are of high quality.  One is Acoustic Research and the other is Monster THX.  I also tried plugging the subs in different AC outlets.  As a matter of fact they are plugged into a Belkin surge protection device and the sub plugs do not have a ground.  I also tired to disconnect the coaxial cable to my cable box.  Nothing has worked.

I have a feeling that mdeneen is on the right track.  I guess my only option at this point is to try a Ground Loop Isolator.

I like the ground loop isolator idea.  It sounds like there is an amplified feedback or electrical interference when your subs are split.  Are the subs the same model velodyne?  And how high are your gains set?  Have you tried reversing the split instead of coming from the back of the amp, split off from one sub to the other.

Edited by actionjackson77

Taken from the Blu-ray.com forum by Big Daddy:

Another benefit of using a Y-cable at the sub input jacks may be for reducing the amount of Radio Frequency (RF) and Electomagnetic (EM) interference, because you are not leaving the other input open and active. Subwoofers can be affected by annoying buzzes and hums.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

Edited by derrickdj1