Distilled water

USNRET

I use it in our iron and steamer. Why would it have an expiration date?

Liability.

That's it.

Bottled water, including distilled, usually has a "best if used by" date.  Optimal storage temp for bottled water is between 40 and 60 degrees.  Since the mfr does not know how the consumer will store the water, most put a two year "best by" date on it.

Bill

Edited by willland

I had some in the garage for adding to car radiators.  Eventually the container gets brittle and cracks.  Maybe the date is for the container.  A cat got trapped in the garage and I went on vacation not knowing it was in there.  I think it survived thanks to a leaking distilled water container.  I don't leave my garage door open as much as I used to, especially before a vacation.

Because things grow in it...
^^^ This, in addition to the liability associated with it. 

Without the disclaimer sure enough there'd be some dippy-doo that would slug down the contents of an 8 year-old open container, toss their guts, and take the matter to court saying the bottling company was trying to kill someone by not saying so.

I had some in the garage for adding to car radiators.  Eventually the container gets brittle and cracks.  Maybe the date is for the container.  A cat got trapped in the garage and I went on vacation not knowing it was in there.  I think it survived thanks to a leaking distilled water container.  I don't leave my garage door open as much as I used to, especially before a vacation.

DeadCat.jpg

Exactly.

Because things grow in it...
^^^ This, in addition to the liability associated with it. 

Without the disclaimer sure enough there'd be some dippy-doo that would slug down the contents of an 8 year-old open container, toss their guts, and take the matter to court saying the bottling company was trying to kill someone by not saying so.

In todays legalistic world you can get away with murder as long as you say you are trying to kill someone.  (just check out the list of side effects for any pharmaceutical)