Dynaco Stereo Tube Amplifier Model SCA-35

Jim

I wanted to see if anyone is familiar with this amp and what opinions people have on it. Also wanted to see what price range would be a good buy. I see more of the ST-70's than these,but there are several of these and I wanted to know if the model is worth taking a look at.

• Like 1

What about this combination?

Preamp PAT-4 and Amp ST-120?

There was a time that it was regarded as the worst sounding stereo one could own. Topped only by the Crown IC 150 and DC 300.

The PAT4 is a real screetch box. And the ST120 was one of the new transistor amps that began the first tube revival. It was simply horrible. On the other hand, it was totally unreliable.

OK, so much for the ST-120 and the PAT4.

Edited by eth2

Personally, I think Mark's comments on the SCA-35 should be taken as those of a last percent master engineer/designer.  Even a completely stock 35 is a very superior integrated for most of us unwashed, but particular, music heads.

However, I am an St-70 guy with a Van Alstine Super PAS4i preamp.  I don't know what iteration the Van Alstine might be at this point, but I can tell you it's based on the PAS4 but greatly improved.  Phono stage is superb and, at least when I bought it, you'd be hard pressed to find a better price/performance in an preamp for the ST-70 or similar amp.  Well worth looking into for the non-DIY type.

Dave

Dave, your St70 seems to be a vote for my recommendation!

My super PAS4i is, indeed, tubed. 

That is a vote for your recommendation.  But an ST-70 in good order plus a worth tube preamp cost considerably more than an SCA-35 and my point was that many of us may not hear all that great a difference.  Given your profession, it's very likely you hear quite a bit I don't care about.  Glad you do, as anything passing your ear test is going to work for me.  A deaf composer like Beethoven is one thing, but a deaf amp designer is highly unlikely.  He's going to be stuck with specs and measurements, and as we know well, they are not absolute predictors of desirable outcomes. 

Dave

Indeed. It's getting close to $1200 bucks rather than $350. Good point.

Actually, last year I tried to score one when I had a bit of mad money and couldn't do so at that price point.  I suppose it comes and goes, but the 35 is pretty highly desired, though probably still costing less than they are worth sonically when in pristine condition.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...