K-Horns mentioned in The Guardian: Article about vinyl boom, pressing plants

• Moderators

In The Guardian (a National daily British newspaper) there was an article about the difficult "comeback of vinyl" discussing the limited number of pressing plants in Europe and elsewhere.  As part of the article the author interviewed and photographed Colleen "Cosmo" Murphy who was recently at CES on behalf of Klipsch.  In the article she discusses some of her views on different pressings of the same album, a terrible (unnamed pressing plant in California) and other interesting things.  However, the most interesting thing mentioned is her audio system at home which mentions Klipsch. I have included a brief quote below with a link to the full article.

"Early in December, I visited Murphy at her home in Hackney, east London. One downstairs room was lined with somewhere in the region of 10,000 records, arranged alphabetically, by artist. In the lounge, a flatscreen TV was obscured by audio kit including two Klipsch speakers, encased in wooden stands, which sell at around £6,000 for a pair and have the same dimensions as a large fridge; and an Ace Spacedeck turntable manufactured by Nottingham Analogue Systems (£1,500)."

Here is a link to the full article.  http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/07/-sp-vinyls-difficult-comeback?china_variant=False〈=en&uid=153834883

Hope you vinyl lovers enjoy the article as much as I do.

Travis

post-13028-0-69580000-1421102223_thumb.j

• Like 3

Heckuva piece.  As I've been over and over in the last 16k posts, my return to vinyl was in spite of my belief in science.  Science is a wonderful thing, but it tells you nothing about what you may hear.  When I dropped a needle on my returned from storage turntable the first time about 1995 it was "This CANNOT be!, but my head tells me it is." 

I wonder if science will ever explain why the LP, with all it's mechanical foibles and potential for error, still sounds so much more "living and breathing" than digital.  When I listen to my 1964 Louis Armstrong "Best of..." LP Louis is in the room, full size, and just off to my left.  Downright disconcerting the first time.  Can't wait until the day I can use a currently Schedule 1 forbidden "tweak" to see just how real.

Anyway, that led to an even more bizarre discovery:  78s sound more "living and breathing" than any digital transfer of them no matter how much care is used.

The naysayers can simply say "Nay."  But they can't tell me what I hear.

Dave

Cool article Travis.  I like her eclectic musical tastes too!

As far as record her knock on a record pressing company. I'm thinking either Erika or Rainbo.  However, I have very few new albums in the house, budget (paupery) drives me towards garage sale finds. 

I do believe we need the efforts of a discerning fellow, or fellows who could order one or two albums from each printing house, engage in critical listening and report back. 

I nominate you and GaryMd, and Mike LIndsey and...