New Heresy Owner

mkl

I have been lurking at the Klipsch forums for over a year now, but finally had something to post about.

I've been using a Synergy system for a little over that year, SP-1 Mains, SC-1,SS-1s, and a SVS 20-39.

Today I went and picked up an amazing pair of Heresys however, and for 200$!

The man I bought them from was the original owner, and a great guy! They are in great condition, with the cabinets being exceptionally clean and free of scratches or marks, and he even threw in some monster speaker cable.

First of all, the serial numbers are:

8519191/8519192

I saw in another post that letters were used as a date code...However, I have no letters! Anyone know why, and what the date would be on this pair? The owner thought he bought them in 1981.

Second, any opinions on what I do with my system for now? Its used about 50/50 music/HT.

At the moment, I have the Heresys as the mains, with the SC-1 as the center channel, and the SP-1's as the surrounds, with one of the SS-1's as the rear surround.

I'm currently using the above speakers plus:

Marantz SR8200 receiver

Toshiba DVD Player

I plan on finding some more heritage speakers at some point in the future (hopefully) but it might not be for a long time, so what would you do for now?

Also, I'm thinking about putting the heresys on stands, about 15" off the ground, any reason not to?

-MKL

Congrats on your find! I too found a really great deal, but on eBay, where there were four KG-2.5's for $200. I won and paid and haven't seen them since. (about a month ago... Frown.gif ) Yu got a great deal BTW.

Letters were used for dating back a long time ago, until they ran outa letters. Smile.gif HDBRBuilder can tell you a lot about these based upon the serial, and a letter code found on the back of the cabinet.

At the moment, I guess you have no choice but to do what you are curently doing for HT use. Whenever you can find more Heritage. The best match for Heritage is more Heritage. Smile.gif

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

Since you have the sub, you could raise them up a little. Personally, I wouldn't want to be on-axis with that midrange horn. They might sound better slightly below ear level.

I know what I would do. You already have the SP1, which is powered tower that goes down to 30Hz. I would yank the SVS off of that system and start building a two channel only system with the Heresy's and sub. Leave your Synergy system for the HT bit.

What you need for those Heresy's is a tube amp. If money is tight you can do the ASL Wave 8 monoblocks for $200. The preamp with that would run you another $200. Then find yourself an inexpensive CD player like on of the new Sony's -- then kick back and enjoy the Heresy's on a totally different level.

This message has been edited by deang on 08-04-2002 at 10:48 PM

$200 for a pair of Heresys in excellent condition is a MAJOR STEAL!! Congratulations!! You should be very happy with them for a very long time!! I would venture to say that if those are walnut-veneered, they listed for around $750-800 a pair in 1985, when they were built...and they list for around $1100+ a pair NOW!! So, sit back and enjoy them while you think of your savings!! Smile.gif

Generally speaking, the higher you put those Heresys off the floor, the more bass bottom end you lose from them, since the floor helps to provide that for you...corner placement is best, if you have corners for them...and all you have to do is adjust them in/out of those corners and toe them in/out until you get them to where they sound best to you. There is no particular distance that is "best" out from the corner, since every listening environment has differences in it...it is a matter of finding what works best for you in your particular environment.

The Heresy design has no ports to assist in bottom-end bass response, but its sealed enclosure lets its 12" woofer do things that it normally couldn't with its short excursion design...the air volume in the cabinet acting as a shock absorber for the woofer so that it can provide great sound without bottoming out...and slamming itself to smitherines!! It is due to this that the Heresy GENERALLY performs better when placed on the floor or in contact with the floor through short risers.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 08-05-2002 at 07:41 AM

Well, he responds on occasions... I emailed a few weeks ago and recieved a response that he had been on vacation and he was going to look into what has heppened to them. Since I have not received anything, and I sent another email a few days ago. Does anyone know of the proper steps to take for money recovery on eBay? (of course, it probably cannot be recovered...)

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

quote:

Originally posted by mkl:

...I have "HWL" on the speaker tag...does that mean its a walnut finish? I thought walnut was much darker than what I have...

-mkl

My 84 pair are "HWL" also. You are right their finish is lighter, mine have a Honey color look to the wood with offseting darker strips in the grain. I like their color. They are easily cleaned, no oil type cleaners though. Wipe with clean cloth and occasional treatment with Endust Original. I forego the Lemon sented.

You've got a slightly rare find.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Congratulations on a great deal and great speakers. I currently have 4 pairs of Heresys manufactured from the mid 60s to the late 70s. Love them all.

As far as what to do now, first enjoy them. Then think about where you want to go with your system. I think the first change you will want to make is to either run your HT in phantom mode with no center channel, or replace the center with something with a better timbre match. Ultimately you will find that there are a lot of combinations of Heritage gear that will make a great HT system. FWIW I currently use 5 Heresys and do not plan to change to something bigger. Whatever course you take, IMHO you will need a good subwoofer. Enjoy the trip!

• 4 years later...

wow, this is dredging up an old thread. Congrats on your Klipsch Heritage purchase.

either twist the wires and create a hook to put behing the screw, then tighten, or if you have crimping tool, you can crimp an AMP type spade lug or hook and attach that to the screw.

Then sit back and enjoy!

Michael

Heresy's are a much better speaker than most give them credit for.........for the size of them, what will out perform them, not too many................close your eyes while listening, they sound alot bigger.................the longer you have them, the more you will like them.....many models have come and gone in the Klipsch Line.....but the Heresy's remain a constant member of the Heritage Family........hhmmm...wonder why?????