Oppo 103....I stand corrected

AaronH

currently using a ps4 to play br's

I'm about to give up on my PS4. Starting to have to reboot sometimes immediately after turning on, plus the fan is pretty loud and it runs hot, and I can't play CD's. The PS3 was a better disc player.

• Like 1

currently using a ps4 to play br's

I'm about to give up on my PS4. Starting to have to reboot sometimes immediately after turning on, plus the fan is pretty loud and it runs hot, and I can't play CD's. The PS3 was a better disc player.

I have the old PS3, and was going to get the PS4 until i found out 2 key items were missing (for me) HDMI 2, and HDCP.2.2.

• 5 months later...

Thread bump! 

To Darbee, or not to Darbee, that is the question.

I am planning on revamping my small HT with new receiver, blu ray player and new speakers. I have read this whole thread but it sounds like the opinions vary. My TV is only 70" and some think it only makes sense if you are going 80"+.

Any more, newer, opinions on the matter?

Oh, I will probably be doing a very modest HT build thread very soon. The tiny house I just bought is only 500 SF. Haha!  

True but I just bought a Pioneer Elite SC-85 yesterday :)

Not... if you had projection, then okay.

If a projector and screen is in your near future, then yes, otherwise your call.  Most likely very little improvement will be noticed with your current TV.

Bill

• Like 1

Like many people here, I usually try to tslk myself into stuff I don't need.

Doesn't sound like it is worth the $100 premium. If it made a difference with Xbox One or Blu Rays, I would probably just pull the trigger.

I was considering upgrading to the Darbee edition, but there are no plans for HDMI 2.0 until 2016 or even later. For now, I'm happy with the regular 103, mainly because I thought the main benefit with the Darbee (the additional VDP modes) was when using larger 100"+ screens.

But according to gadgtfreek... the Marvell Chip (QDEO) with the 103 is always on & can effect the picture sharpness. The103D does not have that issue. Something to consider with the possible upgrade to the 103D. It mioght be worth checking out, I could be tempted to move to the Darbee edition.

Full thread link here:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157394-oppo-decision/

This is from an guy who has more video calibraation experience than audio (im still an audio newbie IMO), and I still buy 2-3 players a year to try out and replace older models. I also use them for streaming. 

I currently have an Oppo 103D, Sony 7200, Sony 1200, Panny 460 and will be getting a Sony 6500 when it is released. Its funny because I only have two tv's, but I usually hand em down to relatives. I have also owned a Oppo 93 and 103.

Here are my simple and straightforward comments:

Anyone that says all blu-rays players are created equal in terms of PQ playback is wrong. Now one might argue that the difference cannot be seen, or may not be seen, but a fact is a fact. Samsungs have undefeatable noise reduction and slight color errors, Panny has color errors in newer models since they swapped to Mediatek, Sony used to have color errors but they worked that out a few years ago (they use mediatek chips too, so does Oppo now). The color errors are a problem for me because I have a calibrated display, that I keep touched up. I am not paying all that money for a player to have NR or color errors, slight as they may be. I also test every player with spears and munsil, and you will find some of them clip fine chroma resolution on hose patterns. Currently the Sony's and Oppo do not. My $2000 Marantz did when I turned on its video processing, but I never liked an audio device doing video processing anyways.

The Oppo 93 was a beast, the 103 had an issue where the Marvell was always on, and actually slightly softened the image, other than that it was a great player. The 103D solved that and has a razor sharp image IMO. My only knock on the Sony is I think the image is a little more soft, not much, and most wouldn't even care. As much as I loved my PS3, it's clarity of image did not compare to newer Panny's and the Oppo 103D.

So here is the simple part:

If you only want to watch blu-ray, and maybe stream Netflix and Amazon, a $100 Sony is an excellent choice (get the just released 5500).

Now if you want a universal playback device that can be used as a video processor (I run my dish hopper thru the 103D and it converts everything to 1080p for my display), has reference playback of DVD and Blu-ray, and has Darbee processing, get the 103D. The Oppo can also take the MHL Roku stick in the front, and you get all those streaming services and the Netflix app on that stick will put out 1080p/24 thru the Oppo MHL port  :)

From Oppo:

lALjmG.jpg

• Like 2

Hmmm. Good info there.

It sounds like I could run my Xfinity box through the Oppo and get a little better picture?

I know more about speakers (not much compared to you guys) than I do about receivers and video sources.

I should have mentioned that my display is 70"... which is why I (originally) thought I might not have an advantage with the Darbee Edition. Conventional thinking is that the larger screens (projector set-ups) will benefit the most via the various DVP modes (available with the Darbee). The video chip on the Darbee is the Silicon Image VRS ClearView processor. Instead of standard sharpness & edge enhance modes one usually finds (which can often degrade the image making it worse by artificial detail) the DVP (Darbee Visual Presence) takes a different approach, by addressing detail at the pixel level. It adds 3D frames to a 2d pixel... simulating more luminosity & depth. There are a ton of modes & level adjustment available to dial in each source; Hi-Def, Gaming, Full Pop, and Off. Usually I avoid artificial enhancement modes, but,given that you actually have the option turn DVP "off", it really provides flexibility & customization for a wide variety of source material. I've looked at the Darbee for awhile now... I might be talking myself into it. (lol)

Here's a great review that discusses the benefits in detail:  http://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-universal-disc-player-reviewed/

The upstairs is 250sf and the downstairs (where the "HT" will be) is 250sf. Pretty small but I am planning on buying 2 more in the same complex within a year.

I sold off just about everything to move into this tiny house after a long relationship breakup. Love it so far!