RF-7ii timbre match

rayok275

All I have heard is how disappointed people are in the RC64.

Not this guy.  I absolutely love my 64 and it mates very well with my RF-63's.  It took a while to get it as close to perfectly timbre matched(Audyssey MultEQ XT, manual tone controls, Acurus amp) but now I have to say the front soundstage is seamless.

Bill

RF-7ii's sound different than RC-64ii sound different than RS-62ii. I can confirm that they don't mesh up nearly as well as three identical THX's. Used to be able to hear seamless panning across the front. That's gone now.

Exactly.

this is how i first noticed the rc-64 not being quite as crisp as the rf-63's. just had a slightly veiled tone compared to the towers. have read tons of others saying the same thing. 

All I have heard is how disappointed people are in the RC64. RC7 much better. As far as the RF7II's keep them. Audssey should do a pretty good job of flattening everything out.

only people i know that are "disappointed" if you wanna call it that are people who have moved to a superior center channel. any of the cinema speakers and probably all of the heritage would most likely outshine the rc-64. however not everyone has room for cornwalls and la scalas under their tv's. i would never compromise in my theater room. however my living room is a different story. 

• Moderators
I ran the RC64II with RF62II's and thought I didn't really notice much timbre difference. Once I got the RF7II's I understood exactly what timbre meant. Huge difference going from a 1 inch driver to a 1.75 inch.

That is more than timbre....jumping up from a RF-62ii to an RF-7ii isn't even a close comparison.  Higher quality components, much larger tweeter, larger drivers, larger cabinet.  Lot more than just timbre in play there.  :D

if you can hear the difference with pink noise you can hear the difference in a movie when something pans from side to side. Once you hear the difference, it's obvious.

My room is all over the place with pink noise. RF-7ii's sound different than RC-64ii sound different than RS-62ii. I can confirm that they don't mesh up nearly as well as three identical THX's. Used to be able to hear seamless panning across the front. That's gone now.
another great reason in having three Identical speakers across the front when possible of course. A third rf7ii is not easily placed for most. Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

For anyone who doesn't think they can hear timbre differences in your front 3 speakers, run white or pink noise through them one at a time and report back.

Heck...I can hear a difference in the test tones from my receiver calibration through my front 3 which supposedly should match.

Have you checked you db levels manually to see if they match?  I know auto EQ is supposed to match them up but sometimes it's off enough to make a difference. When i used to own a receiver, I would always go back and match my levels manually after Audyssey, YPAO, or MCACC does their work.  You can tell the difference if your levels are off.  I wanted to go to a Vertical Cornwall at one time - but now - I've got my levels matched pretty good on the Heresy center to where it's one seamless front stage.  I'm good now. 

For anyone who doesn't think they can hear timbre differences in your front 3 speakers, run white or pink noise through them one at a time and report back.

Heck...I can hear a difference in the test tones from my receiver calibration through my front 3 which supposedly should match.

Have you checked you db levels manually to see if they match?  I know auto EQ is supposed to match them up but sometimes it's off enough to make a difference. When i used to own a receiver, I would always go back and match my levels manually after Audyssey, YPAO, or MCACC does their work.  You can tell the difference if your levels are off.  I wanted to go to a Vertical Cornwall at one time - but now - I've got my levels matched pretty good on the Heresy center to where it's one seamless front stage.  I'm good now. 

I don't know if you're talking to me or fuzzy but I always double check everything with an SPL meter when I'm done.

I don't know if you're talking to me or fuzzy but I always double check everything with an SPL meter when I'm done.

I would love to be able to adjust the levels, but unfortunately my Marantz does not allow it. i have to hook up a mixing board between the pre amp outs and my power amp to control the levels to the different speakers. A great oversight by Marantz engineers IMHO.

Pink noise can sound different when panning thru auto calibration from identical speakers due to location and boudries.  I notice a difference with my FH and Surrounds.  One FH is near a corner and the wall behind one surround is hollow.  They not only sound different with pink noise, the levels/trim can vary by a good bit.

I thought something was wrong with one of the RS 35's so I repalced it with two different RS 35's and same thing with pink noise and trim level.

Edited by derrickdj1