First Experience with Audyssey Calibration (not quite what I expected)

Youthman

Unfortunately, I got home from work and had to head over to my mom's to work on her computer.  Just got home so there is no chance of calibrating tonight.  I'll have to find a time this weekend when no one is home.

From what I'm learning, I will bring a boom stand home tomorrow, set my sub volume to 75db, then run Audyssey and will post my results. 

Scrappy, I'm understanding what you mean by testing the volume at 0.0db and seeing what my SPL meter reads.  Then I can adjust my volume until I get 75db on the meter and whatever the volume reads at that point will be my "Reference" level on the AVR.  Just a guess....but if Audyssey can't reduce the trim on the LaScalas low enough, wouldn't that mean that my Reference level will be in the positive on the volume knob?

i sent you a text. if i could talk to you on the phone for 5 minutes i can clear all this up and you will understand perfectly. its to hard to comprehend on here with everyone chiming in on their two cents. not everyone has this issue. you and i HAVE THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. we both sit very close to our EXTREMELY efficient LCR speakers. and if you get a little time tomorrow give me a shout and ill fill you in on it all 

• Moderators

While talking with Scrappy, I went into the menu to tell him what my levels were and noticed the mains were at -6db.  Then I remembered I did run Audyssey the other day but cancelled it because my daughter came in the room.  Looks like all of my levels are within range.  I'm thinking it was at -12db because of the Sherbourn 200 x 7 that I previously had.  Maybe when I run it without the external amp, I might be well within tollerance and all of this is mute.  LOL

• Moderators

While its calculating....at the beginning of the calibration it asked me to set my right sub to 75db. Closest I could get was 76db. Did the same for 2nd sub and ran 8 positions as described above. Will post results when it finishes calculating.

Position 4, 5 and 6 will be at the front edge of the center chair and in the center.

I think you will find there will be no difference in using 1 position (probably Quick Setup) if you are going to have the multiple positions all essentially in the same spot.

Using Audyssey is pretty easy and it does a great job, IMO.  Understanding how Audyssey works is complicated, not to mention confusing due to the terminology used (using feet to indicate time alignment and delay, for instance).  And people get real excited when they see their mains being set to a minus -db!  "Gasp, my mains aren't being used to their full potential!"   :o

Yes, they are.  B)

Edited by wvu80

• Moderators

Looks like all three LaScalas bottomed out.

I've got to head to work but at least initial calibration is finished. I'll adjust covers to 80hz tonight. Any thoughts or suggestions after seeing the results of Audyssey?

Youthman, I know what you mean about having the plane flyover while Audyssey is doing its thing! 

When I use Audyssey, the wife has to be out of the house (she doesn't like me gesturing to her to be quiet :lol: ), I turn off the air conditioning, unplug the fridge which is in the next room, and I lock the dog in the bedroom so because her clackity-clacking toenails across the wood floor makes a loud noise.

I even get mad when the birds are chirping outside the window.  :angry:

I want QUIET!!! 

Thank you!!!  :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Haven't read this entire thread but I'm a Yamaha guy and use the simpler YPAO. Is there a way in Audissey to turn OFF the 'speaker size' selection? 

Auto-calibrating for relative volume levels and eq, and THEN changing anything in the crossover would nullify the previous calibration, would it not? 

For instance, I set my LS  and KLF-C7 to SMALL, but the Cornwall rear surrounds (yeah I know) to LARGE. Then I can lock the YPAO so it does not change these parameters but works within them.