First Experience with Audyssey Calibration (not quite what I expected)

Youthman

Looks like all three LaScalas bottomed out.

I've got to head to work but at least initial calibration is finished. I'll adjust covers to 80hz tonight. Any thoughts or suggestions after seeing the results of Audyssey?

I don't like that the L/C/R are all at -12db, because they may be more, that is just the lowest number Audyssey will allow.

+++

I am NOT the expert in Audyssey, but I have had good results doing the following:  Turn off the subs, set L/C/R to Large (or full-range), then re-run Audyssey.  I think you will find L/C/R will not be at -12db.

Then turn the subs back on, set L/C/R to Small, and adjust the subs by ear to your preference.  Actually, if you use the settings Audyssey previously used for them it will be a good starting point.

7 & 8 behind LP just above the rear seats.

Are you kidding me? A loud plane just flew over! Haha

I set a couple of pillows on my recliner chair and perch the mic on top of those - the pillows approximate 'me' and you want as precise to your actual ear position as possible. I think behind or above the chair give a false reading.  Also, if you normally watch in reclined position, make that adjustment also. In my case, without reclining the CW horns hit back of chair. Reclined, I can turn my head and see the horns, which means a direct path to ears. 

EDIT  - post #110 I see what you're doing - that's the way! 

Good to hear of fellow Forum members actually picking up the phone and discussing in detail. Nice teamwork there fellas! 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

All speakers set to small if you have a sub. You need to utilize the full front seating spectrum. Did you run demo content to listen to the results, or just get hung up on the numbers?

This isn't rocket science and the fundamental requirements for measurement haven't changed.. There are numerous in depth guides And discussions surrounding audyssey.

my point is that you keep fudging the measurement process. do it right and see what the results are.. then you can bash audyssey's performance in the system.

what is he not doing right??? I don't get how you aren't seeing his issue. He can run with a sub, without a sub, small, large. Doesn't matter. His speakers are over a 100 db efficiency. Audyssey wants to turn them down more than it possibly can. Only thing to do it to level match the other channels to the loudest of the front three so each one at 79db instead and call it a day. Everything will be perfectly levels matched as if he had 90 db speakers. His reference volume will just be at -4 instead of 0.

a) he wasn't setting the sub to the proper volume B) he fixed that, but then only ran the measurement positions around the very center chair, so the system isn't capturing an accurate picture of the room.

it's hard to troubleshoot anything if the instructions aren't being properly followed. do it right, report back, and THEN we can provide suggestions of what to do next.

i've used Audyssey with CORNWALLS and had no problem whatsoever. so it's not just an issue of speaker efficiency.

• Like 1

Everything I've ever read says to run the positions no further apart then a couple feet. It used to be that people did it over a couch or front three. But it was causing issues from everything I ever read. I concentrate all 8 spots on mine for the center cushion.

• Moderators
Is there a way in Audissey to turn OFF the 'speaker size' selection?

Michael, I have not made any adjustments yet after running Audyssey.  The general consensus seems to be let Audyssey do it's thing, then change the crossover settings to your liking (likely will be 80Hz).

Auto-calibrating for relative volume levels and eq, and THEN changing anything in the crossover would nullify the previous calibration, would it not?

From what I have read, not it does not nullify the previous calibration...just don't remember where I read it.

Good to hear of fellow Forum members actually picking up the phone and discussing in detail. Nice teamwork there fellas!

There are several forum members that I talk to on the phone, sometimes have even using FaceTime. Definitely appreciate the brotherhood here.

All speakers set to small if you have a sub.

Of course...my plan is to set all speakers to 80Hz.  I was just sharing what Audyssey initially set them to.

You need to utilize the full front seating spectrum.

I set the mic relatively close as a recommendation by Ellisr63 in post #6 of this thread.

Did you run demo content to listen to the results, or just get hung up on the numbers?

No as mentioned, I did this just before leaving for work so I hit save and left.  No testing, no changing and I haven't gotten hung up on anything.  Just sharing what I found....nothing more....nothing less.

my point is that you keep fudging the measurement process. do it right and see what the results are.. then you can bash audyssey's performance in the system.

I'm assuming you are referring to the mic positions that I chose to use.  Yes, the mic is 1' closer for position 2 and 3 than Audyssey suggests but the rest are spot on.  Let's be honest.....do you really think if I move 2 & 3 to the left and right chair that Audyssey will prevent my LCR from being -12db?  I don't think so.

i've used Audyssey with CORNWALLS and had no problem whatsoever. so it's not just an issue of speaker efficiency.

FWIW, Cornwalls are 3db less sensitive than LaScalas.  So not an exact comparison.

i'm really not trying to be combative, but I see how it is coming across that way.

I think we all do.  :lol::P

I'm just not understanding why there is so much resistance towards running Audyssey calibration properly to see what the results are for that gear in that room.

I have no problem re-running it in the exact suggested positions as Audyssey but when I initially had the Sherbourn, my LCR still bottomed out at -12db.  There may not be anything I can do about this and there might not be anything wrong with that...just will have something other than 0db for Reference but that doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 1

After Googling the frequency response of the Audyssey mic I don't think I would hit a dog in the *** with it.

JJK

link? I find it highly unlikely audyssey wouldn't include a microphone capable of setting up its own software. If they did avs'ers would sure call it out fast and I'd think they would fix it or people

Would start jumping ship.

colterphoto1, on 10 Jul 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:snapback.png

Auto-calibrating for relative volume levels and eq, and THEN changing anything in the crossover would nullify the previous calibration, would it not?

From what I have read, not it does not nullify the previous calibration...just don't remember where I read it.

That can't possibly be correct. If you switched the front speakers, say, from Small to Large after calibration, you're now dealing with a couple of octaves of sound coming out of those speakers that weren't accounted for previously. 

It's like PA world - you adjust the crossover to get a basic balance between various speaker components FIRST, then eq the system, and never ever go back and touch the crossover again. 

After Googling the frequency response of the Audyssey mic I don't think I would hit a dog in the *** with it.

JJK

link? I find it highly unlikely audyssey wouldn't include a microphone capable of setting up its own software. If they did avs'ers would sure call it out fast and I'd think they would fix it or people

Would start jumping ship.

It was the Denon mic, sorry about that.

JJK

• Moderators

Posted a link to Audyssey...just received this response

Hello Michael,

The -12dB trim is a limit of the receiver. The pink noise from the receiver should measure 75 dB C slow at the main listening position with the volume at reference level.

An inline attenuator can be added to drop the level of the front speakers to within the receivers adjustment levels. Or you could manually calibrate all speakers to be 75dB C slow -4 dB Master Volume.

Best regards,
Audyssey Support

Sounds just as Scrappy described.