RF-7 II review and competitors?

Premsaggar

My son is in webelos (boy scouts) and they are doing an Indian camp ground and need to come up with Indian names for themselves. I jokingly said to one of the den leaders without my son hearing me that my son's name should be broken rubber. He laughed half heartedly and thought I was serious. He of course said I couldn't name him that.

• Like 2

My son is in webelos (boy scouts) and they are doing an Indian camp ground and need to come up with Indian names for themselves. I jokingly said to one of the den leaders without my son hearing me that my son's name should be broken rubber. He laughed half heartedly and thought I was serious. He of course said I couldn't name him that.

In all fairness, it's probably better than your wife's suggestion that he be named Chief Lookslikethemailman.

• Like 1

There can be no informed review until one has auditioned a wide range of pre, amps, sources. Until then its just one photo which don't tell the whole story. I bought my original 7's and was ready to return them after hooking them to my Onkyo 656. Previously the Onkyo hooked to Polks sounded ok.

I bought a Denon 3802 and things got a little better. I bought a Parasound amp and things got much better. I bought an Outlaw 990 and amp and things got even better, then Rotel etcc..... At about $5k I feel I had made it to 98% of their capability but it still could have been better with unlimited budget. But...if your unlimited then just move everything up to the next level.The better the front end the better the 7's sounded. The only issue I never solved completely was the slight lack of perceived bass output, but only minor, and dual rsw15's fixed that.

The only issue I never solved completely was the slight lack of perceived bass output

Were you running them as small and crossed over or large?

I ran them both ways, and on integrateds, and a Marantz receiver from the mid 70s. Like I said, it was my only small caveat, and almost not worth mentioning, just being objective.

The reason I asked is that I went through that with my 7's as well.  I couldn't figure out why the woofers would barely move.  I had a 2 channel rig with RF-5's and they would pound.  The first thing I found was that when I crossed them over to a sub, I lost considerable bass which in retrospect makes sense.  They were crossed over at 60.  When I ran them as large off my HK receiver it was much better but they still didn't hit like my 2 channel RF-5's.  It wasn't till I put a dedicated amp on them that they actually performed as I thought they should down low.  My receiver was no slouch (top of the line HK-7200) either.

As far as competition, my buddy who works at Magnolia came over to my house Thursday night to hear my system. He said they were a little bright for his tastes.......go figure though, he has the BW CM9's. I've never heard the CM9's but I have no doubt that while his may sound better for music, the RF7II's will easily best his for HT applications. 

I heard the CM9's and were surprised at how bright they sound!!! The guy at BB was playing "Hey Jude" by The Beatles and actually caused my ears pain!!!!  

As far as competition, my buddy who works at Magnolia came over to my house Thursday night to hear my system. He said they were a little bright for his tastes.......go figure though, he has the BW CM9's. I've never heard the CM9's but I have no doubt that while his may sound better for music, the RF7II's will easily best his for HT applications. 

I heard the CM9's and were surprised at how bright they sound!!! The guy at BB was playing "Hey Jude" by The Beatles and actually caused my ears pain!!!!  

RF-7ii's aren't bright but I can show you what is. :)  You should have been at my place last night after finishing assembly on an 88 Special.  I replaced my RC-64ii and hooked it up for testing just for giggles.  Wow, super bright and loud, made the Klipsch stuff sound very warm and laid back.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters