Klipsch speakers for near field listening.

sean5340

Through experience, what Klipsch speakers do you guys like best for near field listening. I'm going to put together an office system and am definitely going with Klipsch but I am not settled on a particular speaker. Just looking for suggestions from the Klipschsters. 

I had bookshelves on both sides of my desk in my study and had a pair of KSB 2.1's that fit great on the shelves when laid on their sides.  The bookshelves allowed me to have them at seated early level.  The ports are in the front and they were not too deep for the shelf space so they worked well for me. 

Through experience, what Klipsch speakers do you guys like best for near field listening. I'm going to put together an office system and am definitely going with Klipsch but I am not settled on a particular speaker. Just looking for suggestions from the Klipschsters. 

What size are you looking at?

I find my Heresy/Heresy II's are wonderful near field, as well as my RB-75's.

Bill

• Like 1

Maybe some RB's for the smaller size.  I think I want my speakers on the desk so Heresys would be too big.

RB-15's, RB-51's, RB-25's, RB-61's maybe?

Also RSX-4's or RSX-5's.

XB-10's or XB-12's.

Maybe even these.

http://www.klipsch.com/wb-14-bookshelf-speaker/details

207fec59c77c233cdabf869782c9d5c8_6350421

Bill

Edited by willland

No, but to be fair they aren't in standard cornwall cabinets either. I moved the woofer into a double bass bin designed by JWC and built by Rudy81 and the tweeter/squawker sit on top with the drivers aligned along the x-axis as well as the y-axis with the woofer. the squawker horn extends 7.5" from the front face and the bass bin is 35" tall.

A lot would depend on how loud you listen, what type of music, what the listening environment is, etc.

I have the little Icon WB14 in my bedroom, on a high dresser separated only by the Yamaha receiver/cd player. Sounds great and relatively flat at modest volumes. 

A tad larger and real faves of mine are the little KSB1.1 or 2.1. Great networks good response. 

RB5 is a winner - excellent response although a bit large for actual desktop use. I've heard guys have used these for mixdown studio monitors also 

At home, my desk is in the center of a 14x14 mahogany paneled room with two forte II's in forward corners facing directly at me. LOVE these. 

Edited by colterphoto1
  • Like 1

A lot would depend on how loud you listen, what type of music, what the listening environment is, etc.

I have the little Icon WB14 in my bedroom, on a high dresser separated only by the Yamaha receiver/cd player. Sounds great and relatively flat at modest volumes. 

A tad larger and real faves of mine are the little KSB1.1 or 2.1. Great networks good response. 

RB5 is a winner - excellent response although a bit large for actual desktop use. I've heard guys have used these for mixdown studio monitors also 

At home, my desk is in the center of a 14x14 mahogany paneled room with two forte II's in forward corners facing directly at me. LOVE these.

Thanks Michael. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Forte's may be a viable option.

If you have limited space I would second the KSB 1.1's. They are an awesome speaker that are great for low level listening.

• 11 months later...

Well, I ended up with the JBL 4311's in the office. I'm using the amp only of an HK 3490. This combo is really nice for near field listening. The sound is very detailed and separation is fantastic. Oh, and it can really shake things up if necessary.  :)

• Like 1

Well, I ended up with the JBL 4311's in the office. I'm using the amp only of an HK 3490. This combo is really nice for near field listening. The sound is very detailed and separation is fantastic. Oh, and it can really shake things up if necessary.  :)

They used to use JBL 4311s as monitors in the Moog synthesizer room at the San Francisco studio called The Different Fur Trading Company.  That was in the '70s, as you can tell from the name.  They sounded good.

Edited by garyrc