Bass response on KLF-30's?

avguytx

This is strange. I had a set of 30's for awhile and thought they had plenty of bass. My brother has them now in a straight 2 channel setup with a Carver TFM-45 driving them and they just straight get with the program with no need for a sub. I'm going to have to agree that there must be something wrong somewhere with those speakers as what you're describing does not sound right. Hope you get it all figured out, good luck!

You've got them already so don't give up on them. I got a little offended when someone on a different forum was comparing the 30's to some Circuit City MTX speakers. I had the exact MTX speakers at the time.....I bought them to use for outdoor parties and they couldn't even cut it for that. They sucked. This guy was telling me that the MTX sounded better than the 30's.

The fact is...from my experience....I have heard 30's sound as bad as those MTX speakers...on more than one occasion. Whether it's something with the loose panels, stock diaphrams, blown woofers, drivers polarity wired backwards or whatever......these speakers have extreme potential. Just have to get to the root of the problem unfortunately. You'll get there.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, do your 30's have the K-31 or K-31E woofers?

I have two pair of 30's and the K-31E's have less fidelity, less clarity, less punch and have an overall 'bloated' sound compared to the original K-31's. The K-31's just flat out sound better.

I'm curious to see what would happen if the mids were reversed on both speakers. 

It's not hard to try and you might be surprised. I was. SWL wasn't, but considering how hard it is to see the markings on them make sure you mark them before switching the wires just so you know where they were originally. ;)

Edited by cradeldorf

Yeah, I remember that comment/thread about those MTX speakers; I even used to be the rep for Mitek/MTX/Esoteric Audio.  Those speakers did what they were designed to do very well but other than that, not so much.  They were CHEAP at sheet cost...lots of margin.

I've measured all of the drivers as far as DCR goes and all read where they should be.  Sure, there could still be an issue but I'm doubting the drivers are the cause.  Most likely a crossover network problem; at least I'm hoping.  I may try bypassing the crossover on the woofers and see if that changes their response just as another test.  I'm not getting rid of them yet...it's got to be something basic as everything work, they just aren't in sync with each other.

The panels don't appear to be loose which is amazing.  Before I put the amp back in, I was running 450wpc to them pretty hard on low end to listen for obvious panel rattling and didn't hear anything.  If was completely obvious on my CF-3's when I heard the cabinet rattle and the crappy glue job.

Edited by avguytx

have you pulled the drivers and given the panels a yank with your hand? Much better yet get in there with a rubber mallet and whach hard all the way aroung the baffle to cabinet adhesive line ynd if you hear anything other than a solid consistent thud you probably have loose baffles and that means leaky baffles and yes leaks in reflex cabinets count too. Good luck finding your gremlins. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Same thing with my 30's.  Had them in a den with wood floors and they never had decent bass and seemed very bright. I messed with different ports and all that crap. Granted, my floor plan was pretty open and I only had one good corner, the other had a short two foot section on the outside wall.  If you don't have good corners, I know you really don't have any bass right now. I have my 30's set up at my moms home in a HT setup right now. The room is a little more narrow and carpeted floors. I have to say they sound a lot better there and I was surprised with the low end extension I heard a few weeks back listening to "Riding with the King" CD while I was there.  The 30's are obviously very picky.

I really wish Klipsch would put together a twin 15" or even a single 15" tower with a passive radiator, an updated mid horn with the "mumps" or use the old Chorus II horn and then include a decent tweeter.  I know it wouldn't be economical or light weight, but it sure as heck would sound better and stomp a hole in all these RF clones they keep spitting out.

Yeah,my last house had carpeted floors in the living room and this one has hardwood. Definitely a difference. But to be able to swap from one pair of speakers and hear that instant difference in great sounding to "holy crap where'd the nice low end go and where'd the loud mid/high end come from!"...even my wife noticed. (She just likes the looks of the black ones better)

On the bottom end, the CF 3 drops to 35 hz, the Klf 30 drops to 36hz.  While 1 hz may be negligible, the efficiency of the speaker is not.  The CF has a sensitivity of 100db while the KLF has sensitivity of 102db. The CF is a two way and the KLF is a three. I would be willing to bet the brightness of the 30's are from a higher output of the mid and the tweet overshadowing the bottom end some.  Also, the CF has front ports and the KLF are rear, I over looked this.  

• Like 1

I'm contemplating changing them to front ports, too. That would be easy to do and definitely easier on placement.

Did you ever have or try the Chorus or Chorus II ?    If I didn't have my 30's setup in a HT format, I would be trying to swap them for a set of Chorus II's.  I love my K's and my LS's, but If I had a space constraint it would be Chorus II's or even Chorus I for me.

I've not owned any Chorus or Chorus II'S but have heard them before in years past. They do sound good. The KLF-30'S sounded good from all I heard them in the past but mine sound anemic in comparison to either that I've heard before. I'd take a pair if they were close and reasonable.

Yep. I've had them all over the place. Not that much of differences like what would typically happen. Closer is a little better, which looks better too, as I don't like having speakers far into a room. Maybe this weekend I can dig into them again.

It's interesting how that when the 30's first came out and up to about 10 years after people would talk about how powerful the bass was how they were such an awesome rock and roll speaker. Now it seems in the last five years or so I hear more and more how the bass is lacking whether it's the room, placement, cabinet leakage, degraded x-overs or whatever.

I'd like to replace my woofers and upgrade the x-overs in the near future so I can hear the difference new parts can make. I really don't even come close to listening at higher spl's like I used to so low-modest volumes work for me. It's kind of like Dean said in another thread that when your nerves have been shot...for whatever the reason....higher volumes don't work for me anymore. Of course, at certain times I like to crank it but it's less and less often these days and I also think part of the reason is that they just don't sound like they used to at loud volumes. I'm hoping that new parts will bring back the impressive thunder these things used to have. In the meantime, they sound wonderful and modest levels.

• Like 1

New capacitors and resistors are ordered and should be here Friday; hopefully I can get those in this weekend and check the cabinet bracing.  I sent Bob Crites an email about replacing either the stock midrange diaphragm with the newer phenolic replacements he has or doing the replacement TI tweeter diaphragms.  With my hearing, and lack of response above 12kHz, I'm tempted to just replace the mids with phenolic diaphragms and see how that works out.  If they have a smoother response, that would definitely help.  

Edited by avguytx
  • Like 1

I had emailed Bob and he said not worry as much about the mid diaphragms if they're working ok. I'll pull one and see which ones are in there as I've seen them be either or. Bob also mentioned making sure the woofers are wired in parallel but seeing as they have dual wires coming from the crossovers foe them, i thought they would be. But I'll check again.