FS: '73 Cornwall Vertical Decorators (White), $500

Rivernuggets

First off, I'm not the one who painted these!

I purchased these from tidmack in May 2011.  Was hoping to refinish them but just don't have the time.  Internals are original and unaltered.  Cabinets are very rough.  They sound excellent....you just have to close your eyes.  $500 is what I'd like coming away from the transaction.  Prefer a local sale but if the buyer wants them shipped, the Cornwall vault is available.  Buyer pays all shipping fees.

Here they are shortly after I purchased them.

I replaced the dust caps that same year.

Attached are the tags and two close ups of the worst of the cabs.  The bottom edge pic is of the back.

If you want more pictures it'll take me some time.  Ask any questions.

-Lyle

post-32510-0-76600000-1423684794_thumb.j

post-32510-0-42880000-1423684800_thumb.j

post-32510-0-48320000-1423684805_thumb.j

post-32510-0-36280000-1423684812_thumb.j

Edited by Rivernuggets

Lyle,

I might be interested.  But don't hold me to that ... :)   And I'm fairly local (Lake Geneva).  In your opinion, what would be the best way to refurb these?  Is it a matter of flling in the voids and re-veneering the cabs?  I've done quite a bit of woodworking and speaker-building, so that's not an issue.  Are the x-overs in good shape, or do they need a refresh?

Tom

Hi Tom.  I'm willing to take as many pictures of these as you (or anyone else) would like.  Hopefully that will give the best idea of how to go about restoring the cabs.  You might have to epoxy the corners and some edges to ensure they'll stay laminated.  I'm not saying they're ready to peal away.  Just better to give a good substrate before anything.

Are the x-overs in good shape, or do they need a refresh?

I haven't opened these up.  tidmack said they are all original so a crossover refresh would be in order if that's your thing.  These sound very good as is to me.

Edited by Rivernuggets

Thanks for the pics ... looks like they are completely unmolested (at least on the inside!).  I need to give this some thought, since I've been on an audio buying/selling spree of late.  But I've always wanted a pair of Cornwalls ... I guess I'd have to shed my Forte II's.  Hmmm...

I guess I'd have to shed my Forte II's. Hmmm...

If it's any help, compared with stock Chorus IIs I thought these Cornwalls were similar sounding.  Forte II might be easier to position (more forgiving) with its Tractrix mid.

Better to have both in your listening room and compare.  :biggrin:

Edited by Rivernuggets
  • Like 1

As a former owner of these stunning Cornwalls, I can vouge for their incredible sound. These are terrific candidates for an exotic re-veneer, or use them as is in a rec-room or shop area. Fellas, you're getting CORNWALLS for the price of Heresys. I'd buy them back, but I found a pair of Klipschorns last summer for the rec room. Lyle is a standup guy and incredibly easy to work with too!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, thanks for chiming in!

I found a pair of Klipschorns last summer for the rec room.

Excellent!  They aren't white, are they? 

I can vouge for their incredible sound.

These Cornwalls do sound amazing.  Anyone interested can listen to them here before buying.  I've got a few different receivers/amps here that can make them sing.