Alabama police brutality

Guest Steven1963

Thanks Keith, I appreciate that. Sincerely I didn't mean to fish for that. When I started I was having a blast. I had come over from the fire side where I had been a ff paramedic. I learned a lot and gained some insight on life I would never have had any other way. Definitely grateful for the career shift though - I'm a fish in water. (Currently a financial advisor - CFP)

PS - talk about a great sociology experiment. I went from wearing my shirt/jackets all over town that I'm a firefighter/medic, etc - then go to the grocery store in a police uniform and everyone stares at you like you have a mountain sized zit on your forehead. No one wears the "I'm a cop" t shirts off duty. :-)

Everyone loooooves a firefighter and everytime a cop shows up to any scene - someone's pissed off he/she's there.

Guest Steven1963
Everyone loooooves a firefighter and everytime a cop shows up to any scene - someone's pissed off he/she's there.

That's because everyone knows they can be ticketed/arrested for doing something they didn't even realize was illegal when they did it.  Seriously we have way too many laws that can get you into trouble and most people don't even know what they are. I'm told often "ignorance is no excuse for the law."  My reply is "please, start from the beginning and recite the code for me."

It buggers me that you can be arrested for doing something illegal when you didn't know it was illegal.  Then the prosecutor has to spend time looking up what law you broke, because HE doesn't even know.

Fish, on 14 Feb 2015 - 08:05 AM, said:

So....is the forum now a bulletin board for police violence, I have a tv...

I also have a few TV's myself.  As in this forum I choose what I want to see/read or listen to.  I have seen new Babies pictures posted that I chose to read the thread.  I have seen GF, new boat, firearms of interest.  Anything I don't want to view I have the option to not view.  So don't give me that "If it's not stereo it doesn't belong here."

Now the part I don't like is when I feel someone thinks they know what I want see and more then I know. 

I hope it was just a bit of miss communication and no one is suggesting I'm unable to make my own choices along with the other forum members

I have seen many topics that are non-stereo related.  Some appear to be heading out of line only to come back to where I might find it to be reasonable, and someone else may think it is still unreasonable.

Off topic threads give more diversity to the forum.  Helps keep the place from becoming the same old boring squat that some of the other sites appear to be.

• Like 3

I realize I am wide open to cross shred (examination) for sharing this. That's fine, I'm not a defensive person, fire away. I just want to offer a different perspective of my view of this mountain.

Mark, I think he's calling you out there buddy.... tell'em how to do the ole running leg shot thing.

Thanks for sharing akdave, and fwiw, I see it your way too. Keep warm AK boy.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

That's because everyone knows they can be ticketed/arrested for doing something they didn't even realize was illegal when they did it.  Seriously we have way too many laws that can get you into trouble and most people don't even know what they are. I'm told often "ignorance is no excuse for the law."  My reply is "please, start from the beginning and recite the code for me."

It buggers me that you can be arrested for doing something illegal when you didn't know it was illegal.  Then the prosecutor has to spend time looking up what law you broke, because HE doesn't even know.

I appreciate that. Fwiw I arrested exactly zero people in my years who didn't know they'd broken the law. There's enough domestic violence, assaults, burglaries that we didn't have to go drumming up the obscure.

Now traffic law and citations? Saw a lot of blank expressions: "oh I'm not supposed to use that middle turn lane as a get up to speed and merge lane?" In Alaska the vehicles are required to have "anti spray devices" (mud flaps) within a certain number of inches of the ground behind the rear wheels. No one knows this and no factory truck is within that law off the lot, but I can't remember seeing that one written and no one goes to jail solely for traffic cites.

Thanks Keith, I appreciate that. Sincerely I didn't mean to fish for that. When I started I was having a blast. I had come over from the fire side where I had been a ff paramedic. I learned a lot and gained some insight on life I would never have had any other way. Definitely grateful for the career shift though - I'm a fish in water. (Currently a financial advisor - CFP)

PS - talk about a great sociology experiment. I went from wearing my shirt/jackets all over town that I'm a firefighter/medic, etc - then go to the grocery store in a police uniform and everyone stares at you like you have a mountain sized zit on your forehead. No one wears the "I'm a cop" t shirts off duty. :-)

I could sympathize, but the problem is the US vs: THEM mentality and the Blue Shield mentality to protect the fellow officer no matter what THEY have done, even if it is caught on Camera!

The cop that is being charged, still will not see the same charges or punishment for the brutality of his actions that a fellow citizen would for the same kind of assault.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

There is an us vs them mentality, but the officer better be charged and convicted to the fullest! He should be held to a higher standard than the avg citizen! There was an officer in anchorage a couple of years ago who was a face of the dept (of sorts), he was convicted of several sexual assaults even while on duty, they threw the proverbial book at him. I would hope for nothing less for this former officer in Alabama - if true, it's disgusting what he did to that man!

There is an us vs them mentality, but the officer better be charged and convicted to the fullest! He should be held to a higher standard than the avg citizen! There was an officer in anchorage a couple of years ago who was a face of the dept (of sorts), he was convicted of several sexual assaults even while on duty, they threw the proverbial book at him. I would hope for nothing less for this former officer in Alabama - if true, it's disgusting what he did to that man!

Dave,

I hope you are correct, I just know from personal experience that at least in this region of Ohio, punishment does not fit the crime for officers of the law.

Roger

• Like 1

Yeah... I remember the last time I was stopped by a dad-burn police officer. It was in 1989. After leaving from a hospital visit I decided that I would take a route to my Dad's home passing thru the neighborhood that I was born and by the closed school where I had attended the 1st thru 3rd grades. The old school was about to be demolished after decades of standing unused and it was such a magnificent stone structure that I wanted to see it one last time. 

As I was driving along in a my wife's car, which I was unfamiliar with, and was approaching a traffic light I glanced down to adjust the air conditioning. As I looked up I saw the traffic light was red just as I went under it. Dang, that sounds like a siren behind me. Sure enough, as I looked in the rearview mirror I could see the blue lights a-flashin'.

I was pretty pizzed as I pulled over to the curb. I decided that I would confront this sorry officer for daring to stop me. I mean after all, it was me. As I watched him approach my window I could see that he was a huge black guy. I rolled down the window and lit into him. Smiling I said, 'Hello Officer'. He asked for my license and registration. After checking my license he returned to my window and asked what I was doing in the area. WTF? I mean, I know that I didn't live in the area and even though the area was a high crime area that appeared to be the remains of a blackened earth plague type horror movie set, it was none of his business what I was doing there. I mean, I know that he wasn't concerned for my safety since he was a sorry-a$$ police officer. I related the above to him and he handed me back my papers an suggested that I drive carefully and watch those traffic signals.

The guy was phucking with me. He was pulling off this sarcastic normal nice guy type act. But I knew better ! I mean, he had on that blue uniform ! He had to be the psychotic result of a incestuous February-December relationship. And since he was black he must be a racist too !

So you're right Dave, he showed up and I was pizzed.

Keith

There is an us vs them mentality,

How can there not be, I think it's inherent with the turf. In the late 70's and early 80's I'd use to enjoy ride-alongs with the local sheriffs' deputies, and a couple game wardens. I think it impossible for there not to exist some type of special bond, or brotherhood. It's necessary to maintain some positive level of sanity. I don't think there's a civilian capable of understanding the level of BS law enforcement has to put up with every freaking day.

Not trying to justify the bad eggs, I just think the everyday BS is too deep for one person to cope with. If it's not the looney on the street, it's the attorney in the courtroom picking'em apart.

• Like 1

Yeah... I remember the last time I was stopped by a dad-burn police officer. It was in 1989. After leaving from a hospital visit I decided that I would take a route to my Dad's home passing thru the neighborhood that I was born and by the closed school where I had attended the 1st thru 3rd grades. The old school was about to be demolished after decades of standing unused and it was such a magnificent stone structure that I wanted to see it one last time. 

As I was driving along in a my wife's car, which I was unfamiliar with, and was approaching a traffic light I glanced down to adjust the air conditioning. As I looked up I saw the traffic light was red just as I went under it. Dang, that sounds like a siren behind me. Sure enough, as I looked in the rearview mirror I could see the blue lights a-flashin'.

I was pretty pizzed as I pulled over to the curb. I decided that I would confront this sorry officer for daring to stop me. I mean after all, it was me. As I watched him approach my window I could see that he was a huge black guy. I rolled down the window and lit into him. Smiling I said, 'Hello Officer'. He asked for my license and registration. After checking my license he returned to my window and asked what I was doing in the area. WTF? I mean, I know that I didn't live in the area and even though the area was a high crime area that appeared to be the remains of a blackened earth plague type horror movie set, it was none of his business what I was doing there. I mean, I know that he wasn't concerned for my safety since he was a sorry-a$$ police officer. I related the above to him and he handed me back my papers an suggested that I drive carefully and watch those traffic signals.

The guy was phucking with me. He was pulling off this sarcastic normal nice guy type act. But I knew better ! I mean, he had on that blue uniform ! He had to be the psychotic result of a incestuous February-December relationship. And since he was black he must be a racist too !

So you're right Dave, he showed up and I was pizzed.

Keith

the officer treated you with respect and gave you the benefit of the doubt , you were in a high crime area , and God Knows was they had happening in the zone , he took your papers to identify you to see if you had any priors for a stop sign , that is standard procedure in all the US of A  -

with no priors coming back from the dispatcher's registration and driver license check  , the officer has the discretion to not enforce the red light ticket or give one -

-, he let you go on a simple warning , what a nice police officer - very civil indeed  , and does it matter whether he was white or black , after all we are all God's Children and color is only skin deep -

-I like the polite southern people , every time I am in Alabama , I thank the Lord for seeing that even a poor man is worthy of my greetings as he does the same to me - come down to NY and see how the good manners are gone , you may then see  the light -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 2

Police brutality is not new.  What is new are the tools to record police behavior so that it can be reviewed by the public using public forums like this one.  What is alarming to me is the blanketed defensive stance presented by police unions and police members to all but the most blatant abuses.  It is not a simple role but one which is so important that it certainly merits much introspection.  In the 'rock throwing' video we had multiple officers running through a very busy intersection in the the middle of the day firing guns at a fleeing suspect.......... for throwing rocks. The mere act of firearms deployed recklessly should send off klaxons.

A divide seems to have been established and widening between police authorities and the public they serve.  This is why using these forums is so important.  Opinions written here come from many parts of this country and they do reflect a broad consensus of perspective.  Sadly we again see the 'us V them' responses.  Police misbehavior has never been deemed tolerable.  Today our police have better training and better equipment that at any time in the past.  It is very hard to watch how some of them conduct police work and even harder to listen to those actions being defended.

• Like 2

Well, being in law enforcement is a very political occupation...and I'm not talking about the politics in dealing with the public.  Spent 3 years in corrections and sometimes you don't know who was worse - the inmates or the ones responsible for care, custody, and control of said inmates. There are some dirty officers out there that give good ones a bad name.  

Road police have it extremely dangerous - because the most dangerous thing is a traffic stop. Believe me, I can sympathize with you (as I can also have empathy with my son because I've been profiled before - and yes its scary because in places like Bama or anywhere really, they may have a mind for action first).  

Good policemen have it worse than most - because they have to follow the code of silence - it's almost like being in a mini gang. I've seen some officers that were worse than inmates and made me say to myself...Not only do I have to watch his back...I have to watch everyone else, including my own (the inmates are to be expected - but you have violent officers that may get with you if you don't play along).  

I was happy the day I left law enforcement and entered IT!!!! 

• Like 2

Well, being in law enforcement is a very political occupation...and I'm not talking about the politics in dealing with the public.  Spent 3 years in corrections and sometimes you don't know who was worse - the inmates or the ones responsible for care, custody, and control of said inmates. There are some dirty officers out there that give good ones a bad name.  

Road police have it extremely dangerous - because the most dangerous thing is a traffic stop. Believe me, I can sympathize with you (as I can also have empathy with my son because I've been profiled before - and yes its scary because in places like Bama or anywhere really, they may have a mind for action first).  

Good policemen have it worse than most - because they have to follow the code of silence - it's almost like being in a mini gang. I've seen some officers that were worse than inmates and made me say to myself...Not only do I have to watch his back...I have to watch everyone else, including my own (the inmates are to be expected - but you have violent officers that may get with you if you don't play along).  

I was happy the day I left law enforcement and entered IT!!!!

This has also been MY experience in corrections AND with police...

Roger

• Like 1

Very disturbing video. Just looking at the video, the second officer holding the grandpa was completely taken by surprise as the other slams the poor man face down into the ground. I am amazed the old guy even survived that... He is paralyzed and a complete family in disarray now - in a split second...Wonder what would have happened if it had not been recorded on camera ..probably the old resisting arrest story and that would have been the end of it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk