Incredible Music Documentaries

swapface

Hey all

In the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to watch two incredible documentaries and wanted to recommend these to all the music lovers out here.

• Sound City - IMDB - A documentary on the fabled recording studio that was located in Van Nuys, California.
  • Muscle Shoals - IMDB - A documentary that celebrates Rick Hall, the founder of FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

I got to watch both of these with my son who is a music lover as well which made the experience even better! Then for my birthday my son got me the record that got produced from in the Sound City documentary. What really makes this vinyl remarkable is that it was produces from the famous Neve 8078 analog mixing console utilizing reel to reel for recording and then pressed to vinyl. Staying analog from the beginning to the end so I am told.

Sound City was an amazing show, I haven't seen Muscle Shoals yet.

If you're a Dave Grohl fan, he also did a series of 8 or 9 shows on HBO called Sonic Highways. Each show is an hour long, in which each song was recorded in a different city, with musicians and influences from that city. He shows each cities musical past. He writes each song while in that city. He has his whole band with him, and always records in an older analog studio. I thought it was terrific.

• Like 1

If you're a Dave Grohl fan, he also did a series of 8 or 9 shows on HBO called Sonic Highways. Each show is an hour long, in which each song was recorded in a different city, with musicians and influences from that city. He shows each cities musical past. He writes each song while in that city. He has his whole band with him, and always records in an older analog studio. I thought it was terrific.

LOL - I did not know who Dave Grohl was before I saw the documentary but I like his organic approach to music. I'll see if I can get my hands on Sonic Highways. It looks like it would be a good ride.

• Like 1

LOL - I did not know who Dave Grohl was before I saw the documentary but I like his organic approach to music. I'll see if I can get my hands on Sonic Highways. It looks like it would be a good ride.

I wasn't a huge fan of his years ago, but I am now. Just think, he was the drummer in one of the largest bands on the planet. Cobain left, Dave has all these songs he was afraid to show Cobain, and six months later he's playing guitar, doing lead vocals, and putting a band together just as good, or better than Nirvana. He seems like a normal down to earth guy.

• Like 1

Its not a real documentary but, 'Its all gone Pete Tong' is a hilarious and actually thought provoking movie about a world famous DJ that goes deaf. Its one of those movies that they could have made horrible but somehow just got it perfect.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388139/

I love you recommended this film. My very good friend Mike Wilmot played his agent Max in it. Great movie and Mike is an even better comedian. He is just breaking into the US market headlining comedy clubs down there. Highly recommend and guaranteed laughs!!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Netflix streaming has a two part documentary on the Eagles that's definitely worth the time.

I really liked this one as well. It didn't come off as an authorized biography as so many of them do.

It was very balanced in my opinion. Dissenting views were there and there was a good amount about the music business which I really enjoy.

I watched it on Netflix and didn't realize that part 1 and Part 2 are strung together back to back, you just let the credits roll to the end of Part 1 and Part 2 begins.

Travis

The forum's Jacksonbart brought this Mark Knopfler documentary to the attention of the forum several years ago.

It's very good.

I too have enjoyed Sound City and Muscle Shoals.

Just watched this. Man, it was fantastic! Loved how they talked about each guitar and how it represented a sound they were wanting to make. Especially enjoyed the craftsmanship involved in the last guitar. DizRotus - Thanks for sharing this!

Okay, my goal now is to find all of these suggestions and watch them all!