Something about the alert section

Woofers and Tweeters

IMHO, the alert section is to alert EVERYONE who is interested in what seems to be a deal. Without the alert section, several deals would be missed by several of us. It seems that more than once a squabble arises when someone claims they are making an honest effort to score said deal, then others try to get between the seller and that person's attempted purchase - why?

In the Garage Sale section, people call dibs and it seems to be honored regularly. To me, a great example is the ad for some RB-75. Several people sent PMs claiming an order in case the seller and the interested party before can't come to terms. Often, the interested person doesn't even say "I will buy ..." and no one interferes.

Why can't that respect be afforded here?   

Edited by jweber

It has nothing to do with respect.  There's a big difference between the Garage Sale and Alerts.  Garage Sale is for forum members to buy and sell.  Respect and decorum are expected and valued there.  Alerts are posted for items outside of the Garage Sale, usually by non members.  Just about all Alerts are regarding CL posts, which are in many(not all) instances flawed and downright scams.  Sorry to be so blunt, however, in Alerts....Money talks, BS (and "dibs") walks.  Simple as that.  Oh, IMHO.

• Like 2

If I was interested in an item I wouldn't post it in the Alerts; only use it to 'alert' others to th edeal. Be a lert as the world could use a few more lerts.

I agree. I do remember someone posed in the alert section something he was after so that others would leave it alone. Although I haven't tried it, that should work too. 

If I was interested in buying an item I would be searching for the item myself without the need for myself and thousands of others to be 'alerted'.

Keith

The only purchase that I remember making from the Alert section was a pair of Forte II that were in Tallahassee that I found and posted  :lol: . After several days and no one grabbing them, I couldn't stand it. I bought them myself and Billbob picked them up for me. I took a little vacation to meet him and pick them up.

I also know of several scores that people are enjoying due to my posting in the alert section...and I haven't helped others nearly as much as opusk2k9. 

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with respect.  There's a big difference between the Garage Sale and Alerts.  Garage Sale is for forum members to buy and sell.  Respect and decorum are expected and valued there.  Alerts are posted for items outside of the Garage Sale, usually by non members.  Just about all Alerts are regarding CL posts, which are in many(not all) instances flawed and downright scams.  Sorry to be so blunt, however, in Alerts....Money talks, BS (and "dibs") walks.  Simple as that.  Oh, IMHO.

In the Alert section, you're dealing with the same buyers, fellow forum members. Why pretend to treat them differently in the Garage Sale section than you do here?

Oh, and bless your heart.  :P

• Like 2

I'm a little lost on who should respect who, and for what reason.  :unsure:

I'll speak for myself, I like to see the Alerts and Garage Sale items posted.  Some of you guys do nationwide searches, and I find that interesting.  It's not something I would normally do myself, but I learn from seeing items from other parts of the country.

If someone wants an item of any kind, contact the seller.  And if someone else wants the item even it's been "spoken for" I think they should do that as well.

• Like 2

I search and post in the Alert section to try to help fellow forum members. Some of my large speakers (Belle, Cornwall, CF4, CF3, etc...) came from fellow forum members - not the Alert section.  At any time, someone can ask a technical question and members will gladly help. Members will want something from an area where they're not, members gladly pick it up for them. If someone thinks that someone is interested in something, they alert them. For those reason and more, I can't imagine having a *** fellow forum members knowing they will gladly help when they can.. 

In the Alert section, you're dealing with the same buyers, fellow forum members. Why pretend to treat them differently in the Garage Sale section than you do here?

But you're not dealing with the same SELLERS!  That's the difference, and my entire point.  And it's not a matter of treating anyone differently, it's an entirely different approach.

Edited by jimjimbo

Let me change my post here a bit:

If someoe doesn't like what is in a particular section of the forum they have two choices

1) Go there and complain about what is posted

or

2) Don't visit that section

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

The only purchase that I remember making from the Alert section was a pair of Forte II that were in Tallahassee that I found and posted  :lol: . After several days and no one grabbing them, I couldn't stand it.

That's too funny!

It has nothing to do with respect. There's a big difference between the Garage Sale and Alerts. Garage Sale is for forum members to buy and sell. Respect and decorum are expected and valued there. Alerts are posted for items outside of the Garage Sale, usually by non members. Just about all Alerts are regarding CL posts, which are in many(not all) instances flawed and downright scams. Sorry to be so blunt, however, in Alerts....Money talks, BS (and "dibs") walks. Simple as that. Oh, IMHO.

Oh, and bless your heart. :P

Exactly. The garage sale section is different than the alerts, for the fact that it's a member selling. So discussing price you feel is too high openly (thread crapping) is wrong. That should be done via PM. It's fine to discuss or comment openly in the alert section because you're not ruining a member's sale.

However, in the alert section the same respect should be shown as in the garage sale section for someone trying to make a purchase. Just like the garage sale when someone says they're next in line if who ever said they'll take it first backs out. It shows respect for other members. If you go after an item another member is pursuing that's not showing respect, more being a weasel or a snake. I also see people getting involved that have no interest in buying the item, just nothing better to do. The seller gets 20 emails and realizes he can get more money and relists at a higher price. Blowing a good deal for someone.

• Like 4

Really, if its posted for the forum - should we not have the same honor with the alert section that we do in the garage sale section ? contacting seller will let you know if a deal is made . next

Next? You have the final say in this? Lol everyone contacting the seller is what blows the deal. Most CL sellers don't care who they sell it to. When they get 20 emails in an hour, that's what starts the bidding wars and blows the deal.

It's certainly a more gentlemanly game dealing with fellow brothers here on the Forum. I recall Dtel picking up LSI for me until I could arrange a pony express, meeting Picky at an early Allen Park pickup, numerous trades at various Cracker Barrels (always at major interstate interchanges).  Sadly some of the CL offerings on Alerts aren't nearly the community feel. It feels lousy when bidding or racing with other Forum members to a good deal.

Sorry if I've been a bit of stick in the mud about it, selling speakers from my decade old collection has made me grumpy as of late... 

• Like 2