Do ya wanna work at Lockheed's Skunk Works?

USNRET

Guest Steven1963

On every level the skunkworks division is intriguing.  But what they do there is so damn interesting I'd have a hard time keeping the secrets from my closest friends and family.

Edited by Steven1963

Looks like the wraps are about to come off the B2 bomber replacement.  Expected to look a lot like the B2, but be stealthier, cheaper, and be remote piloted when desired. 

Probably been flying for a while if history is an indicator.

Skunkworks is a fascinating place.

Dave

Looks like the wraps are about to come off the B2 bomber replacement.  Expected to look a lot like the B2, but be stealthier, cheaper, and be remote piloted when desired.

The mockup I've seen was quite different actually, more resembling of the NASP X-30.

Regardless, I'd love to work for Skunk Works. Some creepy stuff goes through there.

Hey all you guys line up cause I gotta get me summa these perks they are handing out for referrals. Yep, I need me some iTunes cards

As a financial incentive for your help, the new Employee Referral Program (ERP) provides you a mechanism to refer job candidates and potentially get rewarded in the process. These rewards include:

$10 iTunes gift card for interviews

$3,000 for level 4-6 hires

$1,000 for level 1-3 hires

(the levels refer to pay grades)

Of course, the Skunkworks project I have my hopes for is their stellerator.  If it weren't for the rather odd lobbying for investors I'd take it totally at face value given the source.  However, given they've never sold vaporware yet I really hope they are on the level.  If there is ANY credibility you'd think anybody with a few hundred million or more would sink a million or two in what would be the single greatest invention of all time. 

Time will tell, I guess.

Dave

• Moderators

Probably been flying for a while if history is an indicator.

Skunkworks is a fascinating place.

Dave

There was a budget request by the Air Force last spring FY 2015 for something just short of a billion for development, it is on C-Span.  Jane's reported that with a $550M per plane cap it is likely to be a two engine design about half the size of a B-2.  The price cap is expected to require the Air Force to use "mature technologies" rather then using new developments.  The only two bidders, unless there is a secret one out there, are Northrup and Lockheed/Boeing.  

Personally, I think it will get axed.  There is going to be too much pressure for money from competing programs like the F-35II and the replacement for the Ohio class submarine.

But who knows.

The only two bidders were Nort

Hard to tell. This one is a winner from the cost/performance standpoint.  No military genius, but appears to be a lot more cost effective in non-piloted mode than Ohio class subs and a lot easier to recall than an ICBM.

F-35 is a "cowboy" aircraft not for the same purpose and, IMHO, obsolete on the coming battlefield.  However, as with battleships before WWII I can understand the romance.  But romance doesn't win battles. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette

So...at the risk of going off topic, I wish The YF-23 had won the original ATF program. No one's going to tell me that the F-22 is sexier than the Black Widow II.  :wub:

I'm waiting to hear what NASA's going to do with the Morpher program still too.

So...at the risk of going off topic, I wish The YF-23 had won the original ATF program. No one's going to tell me that the F-22 is sexier than the Black Widow II.  :wub:

Looks ain't everything even if I agreed with ya.

http://yf-23.net/comparison.html

Guest Steven1963

USAF should just lay down the ace of spades and roll out that flying saucer they developed from the technology they got in Roswell.  :D  :D  :D  :D

• Like 1

USAF should just lay down the ace of spades and roll out that flying saucer they developed from the technology they got in Roswell.

That cover story has served them well to conceal the real, quite terrestrial, stuff.

Dave

Looks ain't everything even if I agreed with ya.

http://yf-23.net/comparison.html

Oh I know.  About the only thing the YF-23 had going for it on the line was a lower cross-section on radar.  Had more drag, less payload..meh.  I think they could have found a use for it though.

glassdoor.com has a great deal of information about LM. Typical interview questions, salaries, and current job postings. 

I listened to an interview of the guy who started Glassdoor on Wharton Business School radio on Sirrius. Great tool for people searching for jobs. In fact, I just gave the link to my son who is graduating from college this spring. 

PS: LM pays over $20/hr for interns according to the 79 interns who posted their pay rates.