Grass - in Tx not Colorado; what gives

USNRET

You might ping dtel (down to earth landscaping)

It's been a while, but I am not sure he has anything to do with that.  I may have been under the influence, but seems Christy told me he just saw it on a billboard and liked it.

Dave

I sodded my last yard with St. Augustine and my next door neighbor thought it was such a good idea that he resodded his yard with Bermuda. Being the competitive type that always has to pi$$ a longer stream than everyone else, he laughed and said we will see which one won. When I moved 10 years later he had one of the thickest St. Augustine lawns you've ever seen.

I fertilized often and kept it watered and cut. No weeds and in full sun.

Keith

So any of you guys with green thumbs have an answer as to why some parts of my lawn / yard is yellow not green.

It is Floratam St Augustine on nearly 100% sand. I use Scotts Weed & Feed and Turf Builder  2-3 times a year.

I use well water when it's not raining.

I see no evidence of fungus (but treated any way) or grubs.

Yea, it's only in the early growing season but this is something I have seen all the time since moving here.

go find the closest farmer to your property and show him your grass , he will tell you what to do , the balance of the soil is off , maybe too acid , lime can  help , I had a mexican neighbour years ago that helped me with my grass , it started like yours and ended being thick and very green -

Edited by Randyh

They make long spikes that fit on to your shoes with straps I believe.  Just put them on and walk around the yard.  Instant aeration.

Have a lawn party.  Women must wear heals.  Provide lots of liqueur.

• Moderators

I have had St. Augustine for years, and had to revitalize what previous people have done. Previous posts have addressed how I solved my problems. I took photos and brough them down to a local St. Augustine dealer with a soil sample. Between the fungas that causes brown spot, white grubs, and needed to spread organic material, it became emerald green. Organic is much better than fertilizer, St. Augustine you can burn very easily. What you see in your photos could easily be from over fertilization as soil. It doesn't look like white grubs to me, but that is an easy check.

The grubs chew the roots and you grab a piece and if it pulls out real easy it is crubs.

It it is brown and still has good healthy roots than brown spot. That fungus spreads everywhere. If you dont mow it yourself it can be carried from a mower used on previous guys lawn.

You will save time and headaches by taking a lot of digital photos and going down to the local sod seller. If it is grub damage you are going to need new sod anyway.

With your sand I can't help but know working organic matter into your soil will be a good thing.  Also, on the side, the recommended mowing height for floratam is 3 to 4 inches.  4 is pretty deep I would prefer 3.  It sounds high but Bermuda should be 2.5 so not that much higher.  Mowing too low will stress the grass because there is not enough foliage to feed the roots.

• Moderators

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your lawn (Floratam St Augustine) requires quite a bit of shade

All the St Augustine around here thrives on full sun. Just don't let it get crunchy from lack of water and it'll grow like crazy.

From Texas A&M

A number of cultivars have been developed:

'Captiva' - released in 2007. Developed by the University of Florida for its resistance to the southern chinch bug[7] and its dwarf profile, which requires less mowing.

'Floratam' - released in 1973. Resists the viral infection St. Augustine decline (SAD) and the chinch bug. Not as cold- or shade-tolerant.

'Floratine' - released in 1959. Has a darker color and finer texture. Tolerates lower temperatures and needs less mowing.

'Palmetto' - released in the mid-1990s. A smaller, lighter green grass.

'Raleigh' - released in 1980. Tolerant of cold, but susceptible to insects and disease.

'Sapphire' - released in 2004. Selected from Australia for its dark blue-green leaves and purple stolons and rapid lateral growth.

'Seville' - released in 1980. Similar to 'Floratam', but with a finer texture.

'Texas Common' - Most similar to the natural species, it has fallen out of favor due to its susceptibility to the incurable SAD virus.

Edited by dwilawyer