Thad is now a MODERATOR!

minermark

Well Michael, now that you have become a moderator I feel compelled to tell you about a feature of your new amp which I didn't mention (I was paid off to include it by a certain forum member in California- we all have our price!).  It's a warning point detector.  As soon as you exceed the issuance of the pre-programmed number of warning points (known only to me and the guy in California), the amp will go into its default mode and will play the following song at exactly 88.277 db from your CWs every time you turn it on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12Csc_lW0Q

There is no way to defeat this feature once its activated!  So, be very judicious in issuing warnings!!!  By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Maynard 

thanks maynard. btw - i put a cheater plug on the power cord in order to disable that feature. ;)

Well Michael, now that you have become a moderator I feel compelled to tell you about a feature of your new amp which I didn't mention (I was paid off to include it by a certain forum member in California- we all have our price!).  It's a warning point detector.  As soon as you exceed the issuance of the pre-programmed number of warning points (known only to me and the guy in California), the amp will go into its default mode and will play the following song at exactly 88.277 db from your CWs every time you turn it on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l12Csc_lW0Q

There is no way to defeat this feature once its activated!  So, be very judicious in issuing warnings!!!  By the way, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Maynard 

thanks maynard. btw - i put a cheater plug on the power cord in order to disable that feature. ;)

I thought it was to get rid of that god awful hum :P

dude it is SILENT. with no music playing, amp gain at about 50% and DAC/Preamp volume at normal listening levels I have absolutely no noise with my ear in the horn, let alone at the listening position. It's like Maynard knows what he's doing or something..

What's the tube compliment, and what tubes are you running?

dude it is SILENT. with no music playing, amp gain at about 50% and DAC/Preamp volume at normal listening levels I have absolutely no noise with my ear in the horn, let alone at the listening position

Put your ear in the horn and allow me to adjust the volume for you...

Dave

• Like 2

Guest Steven1963

I believe Steven's "taint" actually has an apostrophe in it, if we're aiming towards accuracy.

I can assure you, there is no apostrophe in my taint.

• Like 1

i have it written down at home, but can't remember. here's the amp and plenty of supplemental discussion:  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149147-fresh-off-the-bench/

That Maynard does clean work, very neat and tidy.

I know less than nothing when it comes to amp building requirements, but I like the explanation on the backwards-build approach. Power seems way, way down for my likes, and it's not because I like to rattle the walls. I'm an old dog, or of the mind-set (retarded as it may be?) that having more than is required (not withstanding speaker requirements and listening preference), lends itself to being able to produce and consistently maintain the desired / targeted / preferred / intended / designed / usable listening levels with minimal distortion.

Is this theory complete BS? I probably won't believe anyone that tells me it is,.... and suppose the only way I could be convinced otherwise would be to experience it.

Also with these low wattage amps, component durability and/or product durability springs to mind concerns with usable listening levels (again, considering my volume preferences), but SQ is what interest me most.

I wish I understood how tube geometry and/or selection comes into play with amp building.  I have owned and own gear that makes noise with certain tube types specified for use in the circuit. Not a lot of noise, but faintly noticeable noise. I then when I swapped a particular tube or as in this case, tube combination, it's like BINGO, perfect silence. I've spent a lot of time and money (haven't we all) buying and swapping tube combinations to find what I consider perfect silence.... which is the reason I asked about your amps tube compliment. I guess, maybe I should have asked about the type of amp, class, and tube compliment.

Cheers!!!  I'm goin fishing now for a long weekend.  The spawn is on!!!

Edited by Gilbert

and only cost about $4 each.
 With your moderator stipend, you should be able to afford boutique tubes. 

do the 6cm6 and 6sq7 come in boutique form? the whole point behind this build was it's sweet sound and no-nonsense utilitarian build.

i don’t know -- i rarely venture outside of a completely nonsensical world. Maybe to do some surgery once or twice a week..and then i hurry through it … you know all that blood is quite depressing.