Zappa...

Schu

• Moderators

I never met Frank, although I knew Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart). He and Frank lived across the street from each other in their late teens.

You grew up in Lancaster Stew?

Schu, I saw many great shows at the Civic in the lalate 70s and early 80s. Thanks for posting that ticket stub.

I never met Frank, although I knew Don Van Vliet (Captain Beefheart). He and Frank lived across the street from each other in their late teens.

You grew up in Lancaster Stew?

Schu, I saw many great shows at the Civic in the lalate 70s and early 80s. Thanks for posting that ticket stub.

Only lived there a few years; but that is where I met the Captain.  What a character. Last time i saw him was at a 7-11--he was buying some ice cream (which he LOVED).  He said he was getting ready to move to Northern California (which he did). Just a fun person to talk to.  Ironically, some of his early music was very good.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

His music is awesome. Milk, Ry Cooder is all over that 1st album, and Trout are my two favorites.

This is what Frank said about him (it is funny because I remember those Helm St. Bakery trucks growing up in LA area, and Frank wrote a song about getting him a Pepsi:

"He had dropped out of school by that time, and spent most of his time staying at home. His girlfriend lived in the house, and his grandmother lived in the house, and his aunt and his uncle lived across the street. And his father had had a heart attack; his father drove a Helms bread truck, part of the time Don was helping out by taking over the bread truck route [and] driving up to Mojave. The rest of the time he would just sit at home and listen to rhythm and blues records, and scream at his mother to get him a Pepsi.

Frank Zappa"

Travis -- if we ever meet in person, I’ll share with you a story of when Don was partying over at my brother’s house.  Not stuff for a public forum if you understand--but, pretty funny.

He also told of a very popular song that he claimed this artist stole from him (again don’t want to mention the artist on a public forum).  he reached over and grabbed a guitar and said, “you want to hear how that song sounded when i wrote it?”  

He did tell me once that John Lennon asked that he be removed from a studio. Don said, “all i said was that Yoko looked like a pollywog with mascara."

He was always nice when i saw him.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Travis -- if we ever met in person, I’ll share with you a story of when Don was partying over at my brother’s house.  Not stuff for a public forum if you understand--but, pretty funny.

He also told of a very popular song that he claimed this artist stole from him (again don’t want to mention the artist on a public forum).  he reached over and grabbed a guitar and said, “you want to hear how that song sounded when i wrote it?”  

He did tell me once that John Lennon asked that he be removed from a studio. Don said, “all i said was that Yoko looked like a pollywog with mascara."

We grew upnin same era, I totally understand.

He was a mad genius apparently, he was holding that first lp up for ransom, they were all living in a house together at his insistence. He thought it would improve the sound or something. Then guitar player quit, He wouldn't leave the house, and they sent Ry in to try and rescue this project, and he did. Ry was 20 and apparently could relate to Don in a way others couldn't.

• Like 1

Travis -- if we ever met in person, I’ll share with you a story of when Don was partying over at my brother’s house.  Not stuff for a public forum if you understand--but, pretty funny.

He was a mad genius apparently, he was holding that first lp up for ransom, they were all living in a house together at his insistence. He thought it would improve the sound or something. Then guitar player quit, He wouldn't leave the house, and they sent Ry in to try and rescue this project, and he did. Ry was 20 and apparently could relate to Don in a way others couldn't.

Nice to meet another Beefheart fan…you’re right too.  Rolling Stone had Trout Mask Replica as number 86(?) on their Top 500 albums of all time.  One of his band mates said he was a tyrant; which may be true; but, he was always really cool when i saw him.  But, then it was a social setting.  He did suffer from some serious panic attacks -- i want to say that i heard an interview where Ry said that he froze one time before a huge show and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  

Nice to meet another Beefheart fan…you’re right too.  Rolling Stone had Trout Mask Replica as number 86(?) on their Top 500 albums of all time.  One of his band mates said he was a tyrant; which may be true; but, he was always really cool when i saw him.  But, then it was a social setting.  He did suffer from some serious panic attacks -- i want to say that i heard an interview where Ry said that he froze one time before a huge show and that was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  

I like Zappa.... I LOVE Beefheart...... I hate "all time" lists 8-)

Have you heard any of the Magic Band releases of the last couple years? Grow Fins is really good.

You should watch the BBC John Peel Documentary on Beefheart.

https://youtu.be/dBa8bS_vZkM

Yeah he was a control freak and demanded perfection. How else could they do that crazy magic time sliding around thing...

• Moderators

They had a chance to play Monterey Pop, which everone knew was a big opportunity. They had the Mt. Tam fest a couple of weeks prior. He does freeze up, and falls off stage into mamagers lap. Say he freaked out when he saw a girl in the audience turn into a goldfish. Ry quit, they could not find replacement who could play the intricate guitar parts of Ry, they couldn't play Monterey.

some crazy stuff.

• Like 1

• Moderators

He was a rare Renaissance man, musician, painter, sculptor. I think that is why he and Ry were so compatible. He could figure out what was inside of Don's head because he is a musical genius in his own write.

Don was great singer, great lyricist, but self-taught musician. RY came in and was able to arrange his stuff. For Trout he would bang the song out on piano top and the drummer, IIRC, would write it out and explain it to other band members.

Died of MS, so sad

Yeah, i watched that documentary twice (a few nights ago as a matter of fact).  No, i haven’t heard any Magic Band new stuff; but, will check it out -- thanks for the tip.  He mixed so many genres into a song.  Read the lyrics of some off his last album (spoken word bits)…i don’t know what it says about me; but, i get it ...

oh yeah -- i like lists as long as i agree with them  :)

I just saw the Zappa Plays Zappa show last week. I thought that it was terrific. ZPZ certainly does not have the spontaneity or dynamics of an original FZ concert (I saw many) but it's fun to hear the music live again. The first part of the playlist is the "One Size Fits All" album.

Interesting how many of us hail from these West Los Angeles enclaves.  I lived in WLA from 55 through to 74, spending most of my formative years hanging about Santa Monica, Westwood and Venice.  Graduated from Pacific Palisades HS.  The family moved to So. Orange County in the 70's and I've been out of Cal entirely since 2003.  Awfully crowded there and EXPENSIVE.

• Like 1

I just saw the Zappa Plays Zappa show last week. I thought that it was terrific. ZPZ certainly does not have the spontaneity or dynamics of an original FZ concert (I saw many) but it's fun to hear the music live again. The first part of the playlist is the "One Size Fits All" album.

I am actually looking for a much cleaner more modern performance from dweezil and his group. that video above looks to be just what I am looking for from a Zappa performance.

• Moderators

Interesting how many of us hail from these West Los Angeles enclaves. I lived in WLA from 55 through to 74, spending most of my formative years hanging about Santa Monica, Westwood and Venice. Graduated from Pacific Palisades HS. The family moved to So. Orange County in the 70's and I've been out of Cal entirely since 2003. Awfully crowded there and EXPENSIVE.