Heritage pricing?

jimjimbo

I was in a high end Audio Boutique in San Antonio about 2 years ago and they had brand new Klipschorns on display with brand new high end McIntosh gear.

Roger

Great!  We need many more such!  One solution might be, if a given dealer regularly stocks all of the top sellers in the whole Klipsch line, Klipsch could reward them with a long term loan of a pair of demo Klipschorns, and, just for ducks, a pair of Jubs.  That way, people could hear the advantages of fully horn loaded speakers, and trade up, the way they used to.  Dreaming?

• Like 2

I was in a high end Audio Boutique in San Antonio about 2 years ago and they had brand new Klipschorns on display with brand new high end McIntosh gear.

Roger

Great!  We need many more such!  One solution might be, if a given dealer regularly stocks all of the top sellers in the whole Klipsch line, Klipsch could reward them with a long term loan of a pair of demo Klipschorns, and, just for ducks, a pair of Jubs.  That way, people could hear the advantages of fully horn loaded speakers, and trade up, the way they used to.  Dreaming?

Yes….probably, but it's a nice dream.

• Like 2

...One solution might be, if a given dealer regularly stocks all of the top sellers in the whole Klipsch line, Klipsch could reward them with a long term loan of a pair of demo Klipschorns, and, just for ducks, a pair of Jubs. That way, people could hear the advantages of fully horn loaded speakers, and trade up, the way they used to. Dreaming?

Not dreaming, unless Klipsch isn't interested.  I've always thought that "comping" a pair of loudspeakers (on loan to the dealer unless the dealer sells them as demos), for several dealers in key market areas of the country/globe would cost less than the salary+benefits of one marketing position in Indianapolis.

I'm sure that commercial/professional products has to bring in their wares to listening competitions at theaters, and this expense is high. 

Why not "prime the pump" with the better non-tall-and-skinny hi-fi loudspeakers that Klipsch offers to surviving hi-fi establishments (and perhaps new establishments).  Until you hear them set up properly, a potential customer cannot even imagine why so many people love the sound.  And for the prices that I see at these hi-fi boutiques and for what those boutiques are actually offering, Klipsch could potentially take a significant fraction of the better-informed-customer hi-fi marketplace, and with loudspeakers that don't have to be refreshed/replaced to dealers every year, but rather every ten years or so. 

Nowadays, I see a lot of hi-fi nostalgia memes in the form of phonographs, records (vinyl ones) and old tube-type amplifiers.  If Klipsch cannot compete in that marketplace against those memes for loudspeaker sales, I'd truly be surprised. But they have to take a small chance.  It certainly wouldn't cost them that much to try at a pilot location or two or three.  The key would be to fully set up the loudspeakers in a good room acoustically with good amplifier(s) and other electronics--but not really expensive electronics.  The key is to access the budding audiophiles to turn them into Klipsch fanatics (sort of like organized religion does with young people). 

Creating a market segment channel isn't the thing that most companies are good at but it's certainly the type of activity that growing companies do exhibit. Actual listening experience is the biggest selling point that Klipsch has--besides the nostalgia of the Klipschorn and other Heritage loudspeakers.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

For instance:

One place that comes to mind is filling two unused corners with Heresy IIIs at the ceiling/wall intersection in one or more Starbucks coffee shops. 

Setting up something like a reasonable quality class D amplifier, a turntable and/or disc player behind the counter, and a multi-year agreement with Starbucks for that location to play their discs and other music samples - comp'ed (free of charge to Starbucks).  Leave some calling cards or ecards for smartphones, etc. for further info.  The idea is to break the ice with name brand identification.  The locations of the preferred Starbucks could be based on marketing factors.  All Starbucks stores are corporate owned.

I can't think of a better place to access young professionals and even students with a little bit of extra income--that can afford Heresies.  If a slightly bigger Starbucks venue can be found than their typical built locations, then I'd recommend La Scala IIs in two ceiling corners, mounted upside down and toed-in to a sweet spot in the middle of the main eating/drinking seating area.

Just my $0.02.

STARBUCKS_MCT-630x315.jpg

130430200941-starbucks-story-top.jpg

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

For instance:

One place that comes to mind is filling two unused corners with Heresy IIIs at the ceiling/wall intersection in one or more Starbucks coffee shops. 

Setting up something like a reasonable quality class D amplifier, a turntable and/or disc player behind the counter, and a multi-year agreement with Starbucks for that location to play their discs and other music samples - comp'ed (free of charge to Starbucks).... 

Free of charge???? Seriously, Klipsch would have to pay to get into starbucks....I have no idea what their agreement is with Hard Rock Cafe but exposure in Starbucks would be substantially more expensive and they wouldn't be showcasing the Heresy III. imo.

Edited by tkdamerica

Apparently, Mr. Tae Kwon Do disagrees.  It's a free country for such disagreement (if you don't talk about race, politics, religion, same-sex marriage, or other forms of inequality or corporate wrong-doing/hacked emails, etc.)...

Oh and I forgot to add  how to do bad things to lots of people all at once, and...the NRA NSA is watching.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Apparently, Mr. Tae Kwon Do disagrees.  It's a free country for such disagreement (if you don't talk about race, politics, religion, same-sex marriage, or other forms of inequality or corporate wrong-doing/hacked emails, etc.)...

Oh and I forgot to add  how to do bad things to lots of people all at once, and...the NRA NSA is watching.

Chris

What?  :unsure:   I have no idea what you mean above but it seems needlessly aggressive and OT.

...and needlessly aggressive topics...and OTs...

It's okay to disagree, but it does help to share rationale for your response.  Hard Rock Cafe is an eating establishment -- that is in a closely related business sector to Starbucks.

The suggestion above would be to defray the expense of sound reproduction systems in very select Starbucks locations--both corporations that are of the same country of origin.  Ceiling-mounted loudspeakers don't sound very good--to sell Starbucks CDs.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Why are the new Heritage speakers (Khorn, La Scala II, Cornwall III, Heresy III) priced as they are? I don't want to open a can of worms here, and don't want this to be construed as a "complaint" or similar, but.....they just seem high to me, especially the LS at $7K per pair.  I don't know, maybe I'm out of touch with manufacturing costs, labor costs, etc, etc.  Just a question....

I agree with the above that they are more expensive than most people want to consider and of course it would be a good idea to get the Klipsch name into Starbucks for business purposes. That said, your solution seemed to forget two things: 1) Klipsch is in the business to make the largest profit for it’s stockholders 2) If they had that kind of exposure they would choose something that would generate more profit and have a chance to sell.

As folks have mentioned the VAST majority of speaker buyers are looking for something with a small footprint and it seems that Klipsch was working on that with another one of their technologies at CES designed for something like coffeshops.

Edited by tkdamerica

...and needlessly aggressive topics...and OTs...

It's okay to disagree, but it does help to share rationale for your response.  Hard Rock Cafe is an eating establishment -- that is in a closely related business sector to Starbucks.

The suggestion above would be to defray the expense of sound reproduction systems in very select Starbucks locations--both corporations that are of the same country of origin.  Ceiling-mounted loudspeakers don't sound very good--to sell Starbucks CDs.

Chris

My point was that it is probably costing Klipsch a pretty penny to be linked with Hard Rock Cafe and the cost of implementing a sound system for Starbucks pales in comparison to what Starbucks would want for Klipsch to have exclusive rights….

Nobody said "exclusive rights", did they?

Thanks for sharing your rationale.  I didn't know about the Klipsch connection with Hard Rock Cafe, but that certainly runs in the same vein as the innocuous suggestion about Starbucks (to generate discussion). 

Personally I didn't like HRC in San Antonio - prices too high, food not very good, service very poor, loudspeakers very annoying--but that was about 9 years ago.  I don't plan to return--but I'm not the demographic that is important here.  I don't know about my two 20-something offspring professionals, however.  They may also be looking for better food value and better sound systems/music selections. 

Starbucks is ubiquitous and much more oriented toward affordability (e.g., relatively low cost refreshment-below $5US).  I find more aficionados of taste there.

YMMV.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Nobody said "exclusive rights", did they?

You didn't, but those are the kind of deals conglomerates work out….Fwiw, I didn’t get involved with this discussion to poopoo your idea as much as give a different perspective on why Klipsch may not be interested in this endeavor.

Also for the record. I have started several threads in the past trying to generate  ideas how to market Heritage speakers ESPESSIALLY in markets like DFW (so close to Hope) even before the VOXX purchase and feel for the reasons mentioned (Footprint/Price/Market) they aren’t going to be putting any real money/effort into these WONDERFUL, time-tested products.

Edited by tkdamerica

Fwiw, I didn’t get involved with this discussion to poopoo your idea as much as give you a different perspective on why Klipsch may not be interested in this endeavor

Thanks for sharing with us your opinion on why Klipsch shouldn't do something.  I'm sure that the Klipsch employees reading this are thankful for saving them from such a foolish notion.

Also for the record. I have started several threads in the past trying to generate ideas how to market Heritage speakers ESPESSIALLY in markets like DFW (so close to Hope) even before the VOXX purchase and feel for the reasons mentioned (Footprint/Price/Market) they aren’t going to be putting any real money/effort into these WONDERFUL, time-tested products.

Admirable, but unfortunately I didn't recall any of those specific discussions.  Perhaps Google search might identify which threads that you are referring to?

;)

Chris

• Like 1

Fwiw, I didn’t get involved with this discussion to poopoo your idea as much as give you a different perspective on why Klipsch may not be interested in this endeavor

Thanks for sharing with us your opinion on why Klipsch shouldn't do something.  I'm sure that the Klipsch employees reading this are thankful for saving them from such a foolish notion.

Also for the record. I have started several threads in the past trying to generate ideas how to market Heritage speakers ESPESSIALLY in markets like DFW (so close to Hope) even before the VOXX purchase and feel for the reasons mentioned (Footprint/Price/Market) they aren’t going to be putting any real money/effort into these WONDERFUL, time-tested products.

Admirable, but unfortunately I didn't recall any of those specific discussions.  Perhaps Google search might identify which threads that you are referring to?

;)

Chris

You seem to be quite snippy for some unexplained reason so I really have no desire to continue this discussion. I will let my comments here  and your ability to use the search function to find out anything I’ve said on the subject.  {Note: my screen name and "heritage" brings up 53 hits.}

Edited by tkdamerica

Not snippy--merely curious, and courteous. I want to know what and why you're thinking what you are. 

I am interested in the threads that you reference above, as I will read them, but it is much more easy for you to locate them than me.  Some keywords might help.

I'm also like-minded on these subjects. and perhaps not as well informed.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

For instance:

Setting up something like a reasonable quality class D amplifier, a turntable and/or disc player behind the counter, and a multi-year agreement with Starbucks for that location to play their discs and other music samples - comp'ed (free of charge to Starbucks).  Leave some calling cards or ecards for smartphones, etc. for further info.  The idea is to break the ice with name brand identification.  The locations of the preferred Starbucks could be based on marketing factors.  All Starbucks stores are corporate owned.

I can't think of a better place to access young professionals and even students with a little bit of extra income--that can afford Heresies.  If a slightly bigger Starbucks venue can be found than their typical built locations, then I'd recommend La Scala IIs in two ceiling corners, mounted upside down and toed-in to a sweet spot in the middle of the main eating/drinking seating area.

Just my $0.02.

STARBUCKS_MCT-630x315.jpg

130430200941-starbucks-story-top.jpg

Doesnt Klipsch have Heresey's in a few Chipotles per their blog post:

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/klipsch-install-stories-chipotle-adds-heresy-iii/

I think they need to advertise this more than just have it on their blog as I would have never known to think about it. Same with Cinemas that have Klipsch.

Personally, I think they need to redesign nightclubs so you can rent a personal sound proofed "Listening room" with top of the line heritage speakers, amps and a DAC so you can choose your music and listen with buddies etc. for a while during the night. 

I don't see the brand name anywhere in the Chipotle pix.  That's a problem if the objective is brand recognition and product loyalty.

However, thanks: I didn't know about this--and this is exactly what I was thinking, although a little toe-in would be much nicer and the thickness of that extra plywood baffle isn't the best for acoustic polars. (...snipe, snipe, snipe ;) )

Edited by Chris A