Classic car thread: Hot August Nights.

kenratboy

Just got back from a FULL day of looking at old cars in Reno (I live here Smile.gif ). I am only 17, so the cars ment nothing from a sentimental value, but, OMG!!! Very nice stuff.

Saw a REAL Shelby Cobra. Was able to get withing 50 feet of it!

I found a car I want, a ~1964 Buick Rivera in BLACK. It looks evil, and I like that a LOT Redface.gifMad.gif ...

Anyone here have any old cars that they would like to tell us all about?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I have 2 of them, I have a 80z28, 60,000 original miles it is 100 percent original, except for the tires. It is black with the silver stripe package.ALso have a 56 chevy 2 dr hardtop. It is still under restoration though.Well as I am typing this, there is a car show in my town today, my car is ready to go, and gues what, yep it is raining, this sucks.

I'm the original owner of an 88 Conquest TSi. It's a 5 Speed and in exceptional condition. Drove that baby to Texas in June and never saw another on the road the entire trip. My family and friends were amazed at its condition. It's not a top performance vehicle, but it's loads of fun to drive, has an agressive look, is fuel efficient and turns more heads now than when new.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Once owned a 70' Superbird with a 440 six-pack. Couldn't keep it but a year or so (in high school), had to hide it from my parents.

Speakin' of Shelby's, a close buddy of mine's whole family is loaded with the one's Carol made with Chryler.

His- 86' Shelby Charger Turbo (Blue over Silver making it 1 of 386)

Brother's- 87'Shelby Charger Turbo

Mother's (now 72 years old!!!)- 86' Omni GLH, 85' Shelby Charger(ultra rare automatic trans)

My brother- 72' Road Runner w/383 Magnum and in Plum Crazy Purple (radio delete from factory, couldn't hear it anyway)

This is not to mention various older Dodge Charger just lying around.......69' Charger SE w/small block 318 (rare, most SE's had big blocks), 67' Charger w/383 Magnum and only 38k miles, 73' Charger red w/ white top and interior, 72' Charger black with rally hood and a 400 (I had a cop not 25 feet behind me just 1 week after I got my license, just daring me to floor it).

Tim's (the buddy) mother is quite a hoot. She is most kind motherly type woman I know. But in the late 60's and early 70's she had NOTHING but hot rods. 421 Pontiac Catalina, 69' Chevelle SS 396, 70' Mach I, 72' 440 New Yorker and a few others I can't think of. Never drove any of them over 45mph (her children did that for her when she wasn't around!).

I'm now driving a 94' Eagle Talon ES(classic? I doubt it). I like it alot better than my girlfriend's 86' Saab 900S (POS auto transmission). Like Wes' this thing gets 40mpg on the highway and was stickered at only 27mpg. Just had it E-checked (Ohio's version of an exhaust gas inspection) and it passed with more than flying colors. It too gets a few heads turned because I bought it new (paid cash) when I was 29 (now 36) and all the kids can't understand why someone my age is driving a "kid's" car. Little do they know...

Getting a 300M (or whatever letter it is by then) in a couple of years.

Hey Wes! Michgan to Texas in a Conquest?! Man! That must have hurt the ol' backside with 50 and 55 series tires!!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-11-2002 at 10:00 PM

Well, I am only 17, so cars from the 50's-70's mean nothing to me from a sentimental value, but some of the BIG engines with blowers are SOOOOO nice.

Actually, I am looking to get somthing like a early 60's Buick Riviera, Chevelle SS (they're everywhere, that means PARTS!!!), or the like in BLACK with somthing BIG under the hood. I want a car that looks EVIL. Mad.gif

Run a blower (got 5 grand?), strait pipes, super upgraded cooling, and I'll be set.

At the Hot August Night's parade this morning, all the cars were overheating, I would love to have a big @$$ cooling system and not worry Smile.gif!!!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ken---Coolest cars from the 60s were the stripped Chevy II and Chevlle sleepers with 350 hp 327s. Guys would get the base model cars with bench-seats, rubber floors, manual steering and brakes etc. That was before you had to order effete appearance packages with phony hood-scoops and bucket-seats to get the hot motors. 350hp-327 Chevy IIs would run with Street-Hemis and the Chevelles would run with almost anything else. Also heavy runners were big Ford Galaxy and Chevy Biscayne 2-door sedans with 427ci-425hp engines.

The "Riv" was a nice car but in Chicago was favored by young Outfit wannabes and "apprentices" from The West Side and Elmwood Park not the gear-head set.

Cobras are cool! But they sure are impractical. And the 427 is downright suicide. That was Carol Shelby's least favorite of his cars. He was forced to build it by Ford racing so they could have something that would win at the drag races.

I had an '86 Buick Regal Grand National until it was stolen a few years back. All black. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds, stock. Limiting factor was how much rubber you could get under the rear. FBI version of the Regal T Type, same car without black paint job and matching interior and no top end limiter, was good for 168 miles per hour. Turbochargers are so much more elegant than a mechanical supercharger. This car had all the spirit of a 60's muscle car in a much more refined package. The dealer let a customer who was real hot on ordering one take mine out for a short run before delivering it to me. The guy decided it was too much car for him.

My '67 383 Baracuda was fun. So was my brothers 440 Charger. All the muscle cars of the 60's were a lot of fun. Also, anything with a 426 hemi, or even a full size Chevy with the 427 racing engine.

My stepfather's business cars were cool, too. New Chrysler 300 every year or two, with goodies like a hemi, two four barrels on dual log ram manifolds, etc.

Favorite car I never owned, drove or rode in would be a 1967 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3., a real sleeper. Imagine a big, black Mercedes sedan capable of 0-60 in 5.4 seconds with a top speed of 154 miles per hour.

Basically, if I get a 60's car, it will be for PURE power and fun, not collecting or sentamental value. I would like a 4xx engine, somthing BIG BIG BIG and NOISEY!!!

I want to keep it semi-street legal, so I con't run pure strait pipes (but want to be able to disconnect them.)

An upgraded cooling system is also a biggie for me, a few electric fans and a big radiator retrofit would be fun and practical as hell.

I will see. My dad's two closest friends are totally into classic cars, but they live in the Bay Area, so I will need to slide on down.

Yes, the Chevelle is looking nice. SS = good. I mean, almost 400 HP, thats good Smile.gif

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by tblasing:

...Hey Wes! Michgan to Texas in a Conquest?! Man! That must have hurt the ol' backside with 50 and 55 series tires!!

Tom,

Not straight through. No marathon driving at this stage in life. One night in a Hotel each waySmell a lot better after arival too. I've replaced the original struts with Gabriel's, they are a small compromise between performance handling and ride comfort. Crusin' comfortably at 80-90 MPH was my goal. Yea, young kids think an older guy in an older sports car. Most ask who makes that! I reply it's an import...true, thou not full disclosureBiggrin.gif

Remember the Talon TSi's...all wheel drive...man they were screamers too!

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-11-2002 at 06:16 PM

OK, a 1970 Chevelle with a 454, or a 396, whatever I can afford...

------------------

Kenratboy-

I'm not a GM person but that may be your best bet. NOS parts are all over the place and the aftermarket scene in bustin' at the seams. Just watch TNN on cable on Sunday mornings, that's all they ever have is GM! Ticks me off really. Mopar (my fav) was in that era as much as anyone else. Just try to find a parking brake cable for a 67' Charger....back before restoring Mopars got popular (again).

If I ever get back into that "hobby" again it'll have to be a car I don't have to get fixed that night so I can take it to work tomorrow! Strickly a garage project.

Wes- Yea, had the chance to get a TSi AWD when I bought my ES. Sometimes I wish I did and more times I'm glad I didn't. I guess practicality won out over fun. Although I did do few things that got the ES 30 more hp than stock. You should visit the Diamond Star Motors Club site sometime. There's quite a few members that have Conquests as well as products from Diamond Star Motors. The only so called hot rod FOUR CYL I could think of from that era was a Chevy Vega Cosworth Twin Cam. Black with gold pin stripes. Can't believe they actually made that thing

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 08-11-2002 at 10:19 PM

arfz28: I couldn't agree with you more...

Who cares if I get 6-10 MPG. This will be a weekend cruiser, nothing more. I can't afford to get somthing and put 10 K. a year on it! I want to drive, not fix!

Well, a 454 or a 396 will be 10 X more power than I could ever want, so I am impartial, but a 454, Mmmmmmmmmmm, POWER...

I live in Reno, and this is the place to get them!

------------------

OK-

you guys are really making me miss having a car. After the fourth time my Mustang convertible was broken into in six months and hundreds of dollars in parking tickets, I got rid of it. Now I take the subway everywhere.

The only car I've ever owned from the 60's is actually a truck- a '66 3/4 ton International with a chrysler small block. Big, loud, and slow. We rebuilt it from the frame up- everything was redone and repainted- although not original. The exterior was painted Coke Red (left over paint from the delivery trucks) and you could see it coming a mile away. However, if I were to buy a truck now, it would probably be a '74 Ford with dents on every mis-matched panel and railroad ties for bumpers- that way I wouldn't have to worry about messing it up, scratching the bed, or having it stolen and everybody would get out of my way when I merged into traffic.

I have fallen in love with small cars. I really like big Heally's- 100-4 would be a dream. I would also like a BMW 2002. I saw some pretty cool kits based on Datsun Z cars for 250 Ferrari's. I also was thinking about building a motorcycle based roadster- Legends style. All this is dreaming now- I need to rent a garage in the country and afford a spare $250/mo for insurance (it is ridiculous here). Maybe I should move first.

Larry

Well sure, I drive a 70 Chevelle. Bought it from the original owner in '87, there were 17 years worth of registrations made out to the same woman at the same address in the glovebox. Added front disc brakes and the front stabilizer bar (1.25") from a 79 T/A WS-6 car. I've rebuilt this whole car at least once , most of it twice. Got a nice engine in it now, 400 small block .030" over, roller cam, aftermarket heads, HEI, Perf RPM Q-jet manifold with an 800CFM Q-jet carb. Waiting in the garage is a 200-4R from an 87 Grand National Regal (best tranny ever made, IMO) and 12-bolt posi rear with 3.73 gears.

Just put a new headliner in it, helluva job. Reminded me of why I'm an engine guy.

The tranny and rear axle are competing for space in the garage with the DIY LaScalas right now. Had the LS in the house for a couple days, WAF is below zero. Back to the garage for now.

Tom

Here's the Chevelle site URL: http://www.chevelles.com/cgi-bin/forum/Ultimate.cgi

Well over 100 GB/month going across that wire. Try getting that for $19.99.

This message has been edited by Tom Mobley on 08-13-2002 at 03:23 AM