Wife is going to kill me building the jamboree

A few more pics. Made some good progress today, to anybody that is going to build these there will be a bunch of minor

Adjustments that have to be made. The plans are close but follow the instructions about screwing everything together first.

Then after getting the parts to fit good, you can go back and glue everything together.post-49728-0-47660000-1432432769_thumb.jpost-49728-0-17420000-1432432802_thumb.jpost-49728-0-20100000-1432432834_thumb.jpost-49728-0-26060000-1432432865_thumb.j

• Like 1

Man... I really wished I had skills...

I think anybody can build speakers, you just need the desire. If you would have asked me 6yrs ago to build what I have built so far, I would have thought you were nuts. I couldn't have built a square box to save my life. I figured out that I could not afford to buy what I wanted but could afford to build them. This started me on a long path with many mistakes, but I learned from each one and tried to get better. I started with basic easy sub boxes and moved forward from there. I have been lucky having a BIL that has a awesome shop, and wood skills way beyond mine. He has advanced my learning curve a huge amount in a short time. My point is just start building and learn as you go. Most plans you can build with just a hand saw, and maybe a jig saw, and a couple of saw horses. All the other tools just make the job quicker or easier. The greatest thing about doing this is when someone walks into my room I can say I built everything you see. Building speakers from plans is not "ROCKET SCIENCE" it takes a little time and planning. Now designing speakers is "ROCKET SCIENCE" to me. My next step after finishing the jamboree project is to try my hand at crossovers. I have done a ton of research so far and am ready to give it a shot. I'm sure I will screw up some but that is what learning is about. There are a bunch of guys on this forum that really help out that are WAAAY smarter than me. So get to building, ask questions and before you know it, you will be deep down the "rabbit hole" of speaker building. It is a great hobby and a ton of fun!!!

• Like 1

I have found a lot of the bracing is off.

Correct you are!! I took your advice and am waiting on the bracing until final assembly. I have all the boards cut so now it is time to take it all apart and get it glued together. The tail boards are not quite fitting like I want, going to make a few adjustments when I start final assembly. Another change I have made is on the front edge ( facing the driver) of the splitter boards, I didn't like the flat square edge. I rounded these over just a little to make a smoother surface for the sound wave to split over.

• Like 1

Got everything taken apart and started final assembly!! Ready to get this one done will post pics when I finish. Went and got some T nuts and brass screws today for the front panel. Going to pick up another sheet of plywood to do the fronts. The cut sheet I made has the front panel cross grain and I want it vertical. Figured out the tail board splitters did not match the angle of the back board the way I wanted. Going to recut them out of some of the scraps.

DO we know exactly what parts I the plans measurements is slightly off?
I proofread/checked measurements on one of Dana's older designs, and helped fix a few errors. The biggest problem is he draws them out on large paper and then measures, the measuring of which is not always so accurate.

I would still like to build the model of the plans he sent me, but I am sooooo lazy to finish what I am already behind on.

Bruce

As for the driver I kinda forgot I was using the eminence drivers. Yes they are low cost and work great. I haven't taken any readings. But am curious to see what the frequency response is.

If you look at how it works in my Quarter Pie bass horn, which I traded to you because I didn't need response above 300 Hz. whereas you needed to get to 600 in your Jamborees. The driver is the best bang for the buck in the industry right now. It give better midrange response and much tighter bass than a K-33 no matter where you use it. From Cornwall, LaScala, (not tried in Khorn), Qpie, etc. it's a lotta performance for the money.

How does it sound?

Edited by ClaudeJ1

My next step after finishing the jamboree project is to try my hand at crossovers. I have done a ton of research so far and am ready to give it a shot. I'm sure I will screw up some but that is what learning is about. There are a bunch of guys on this forum that really help out that are WAAAY smarter than me. So get to building, ask questions and before you know it, you will be deep down the "rabbit hole" of speaker building. It is a great hobby and a ton of fun!!!

I recommend a Mini DSP and bi amping. Much easier than stocking passive components. AND you can time delay your treble section as well as flatten the response with Paremetric EQ. 

• Like 1